Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 11:13 PM

911 posts, read 262,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear
My temp earlier was just below 98.6F, and right now it's 100F even.
Wow Im so sorry Mike.... I hope you feel better soon

Old 03-31-2018, 03:27 AM

15,532 posts, read 10,504,683 times
This seemed like the longest flu season ever, our area finally peaked, but it's still out there. Mike, maybe you could charge your doctor's visit, pay half this month and the other half next month. I just hate to hear of anyone suffering. Hopefully you will get better soon.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:35 AM

30,436 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Peeps still get the flu magoo even with a shot.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:03 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,654,219 times
Sounds like a bad case of: post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:14 AM

10,236 posts, read 6,322,066 times
My daughter thought she had the flu and went to the doctor. He never tested her for flu but gave her Tamiflu. She felt even worse so she went to a different doctor who did do the test on her. Not the flu, but bronchitis. Once she was treated for that, she felt much better.

My husband got a flu shot in October 2016 and in June 2017 he got the flu, and pneumonia. Maybe these flu shots wear off over time? I suppose you can still catch the flu in the Summer too.

Old 03-31-2018, 03:45 PM

749 posts, read 852,959 times
Hope you are feeling better! Don't hesitate to see your Dr if you feel it's hanging on too long, as you said with COPD this cold or flu could worsen quickly.

I really hate that old, germ-spreading custom of shaking hands and it's almost impossible to avoid without making everyone feel weird. This year in Hawaii I've seen an unusual number of folks wearing surgical masks while out and about, I wish we'd pick up that custom during the worst of flu season at least.

Saw one mask that had printed on it "It's you not me" that was reassuring since I was thinking - Tyhoid, Active TB, Ebola...lol!

Old 03-31-2018, 07:34 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
Influenza complicated by underlying COPD is one of the most common scenarios resulting in flu-to-pneumonia-to "death from flu." Yes, it happens, a lot.

You need to see your doc. Now.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:59 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,018,615 times
Ok, I have had the pneumonia shot many years ago. In fact, several times over the years, but last one was at least 15 years ago. My doctor won't give it again because he claims you only need it once. At least until I reach the age of 65.

Anyway, Mikayla is right, it's a case of acute bronchitis. It came on real fast, so I didn't pick up on it being that, along with me thinking my friend had the flu. Turns out his was diagnosed as bronchitis. So, I did likely get it from him.

I'm not likely to die from it, but could possibly bust a rib with the gut-wrenching coughs it produces at times. You can only suck on menthol cough drops just so much before they make you sick...

So, night sweats (I have to sleep on a towel now), coughing, a headache, a little dizziness now and again for probably another 4-5 days, and I should get over it.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:23 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
Pneumonia is caused by many other bacteria besides Pneumococcus. That "pneumonia shot" was specifically for that bug. Not pneumonia in general. You have COPD. You could get pneumonia from any number of bugs - bugs that would pose little threat of pneumonia in the general population. You're not 40 years old anymore and you have COPD. Influenza in your case requires medical evaluation.

"Bronchitis" is usually not a transmissible disease and is not attributable to any specific microorganism. Fever and blah feeling is not part of bronchitis. You most likely have the flu. You got it shaking hands is my best guess.

Bronchitis' entire term is "acute exacerbation of chronic bronchitis" which means, you were coughing previously, maybe a lot (common in COPD), most of the time, but now, a lot more. Period. Influenza makes most people cough - sometimes at the outset, often later on. What you have is most likely the flu - not bronchitis.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 03-31-2018 at 08:36 PM..

Old 04-01-2018, 12:32 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Ok, I have had the pneumonia shot many years ago. In fact, several times over the years, but last one was at least 15 years ago. My doctor won't give it again because he claims you only need it once. At least until I reach the age of 65.

Anyway, Mikayla is right, it's a case of acute bronchitis. It came on real fast, so I didn't pick up on it being that, along with me thinking my friend had the flu. Turns out his was diagnosed as bronchitis. So, I did likely get it from him.

I'm not likely to die from it, but could possibly bust a rib with the gut-wrenching coughs it produces at times. You can only suck on menthol cough drops just so much before they make you sick...

So, night sweats (I have to sleep on a towel now), coughing, a headache, a little dizziness now and again for probably another 4-5 days, and I should get over it.
Still miserable, hope you feel better soon. I'm assuming they no longer give you codeine cough syrup?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness