Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 09:26 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,006,772 times

Advertisements

Looking for info from anyone who's had chronic or on-going sinus issues.

I started a thread here a while back but things have progressed since then...

Backstory: I got sick back at the beginning of February. My initial cold-like symptoms went away after a couple of days but I developed a low grade fever which, although it fluctuates daily, has never gone away. Although my initial symptoms went away and I felt relatively normal for about a week and a half afterwards, I then got a sinus infection (not uncommon for me, tends to happen yearly now) which had me really feeling sick and bedridden. I got anti-biotics from a doctor and was back to normal within days, minus my low grade fever, which, has since persisted.

I visited the ENT last week and he put me on antibiotics (2nd round) and a steroid pack and scheduled a CT scan for next week. He said my airways looked good (which isn't surprising considering I don't have congestion issues during the day) but said I do have sinus drainage since my throat looked irritated.

Thing is, I'm almost through my steroid pack and I'm not noticing any improvement. I still have a daily low grade fever and some sinus pressure (nothing painful, just enough to make me aware that my sinuses don't feel entirely normal).

I can still work and feel fine most days but I don't sense that I'm getting any better. My fever is going on 2 months now and I'm just wondering, is this, or could this be considered a "chronic" sinus issue? Is it possibly something else (an infection elsewhere, cancer, etc.)?

I've never had a fever which persisted this long, furthermore, anytime I've used steroids they cleared up any issues I had. Feels like my body isn't responding to anything and my fever just fluctuates daily (rising to 100.4 at the very most).

I just don't get it. I'm hoping the CT scan will reveal the issue but I'm stumped at this point. Never had anything cause a fever which persisted more than a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 10:14 AM

5,710 posts, read 4,284,252 times
Do you smoke or are you around smoke or other respiratory irritants? I've only had 2 sinus infections, both in the last 6 years, I believe both happened only because I was under tremendous stress and both happened after colds but both cleared up in a couple weeks with amox and prednisone. Never had a fever though, unless it was so mild (under 100) that I don't recall it.

Old 03-29-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Do you smoke or are you around smoke or other respiratory irritants? I've only had 2 sinus infections, both in the last 6 years, I believe both happened only because I was under tremendous stress and both happened after colds but both cleared up in a couple weeks with amox and prednisone. Never had a fever though, unless it was so mild (under 100) that I don't recall it.
No, never smoked. No one in our family does either. Plus I work from home so I'm not exposed to any smoke.

Any time I've had a sinus infection in the past it's been accompanied with congestion but that isn't really a problem this time around. I do feel the sinus pressure, near my nose and above my eyes, but it's not overbearing. My fever is mild, usually stays around 100 if not a tad lower. It also tends to drop back to normal when I'm active, such as walking or moving around the house. This to me triggers it's still sinus related.

It's such a strange situation though. Anytime I've had a sinus infection in the past, like you, antibiotics or steroids did the trick (literally only took days to go back to normal).

I'm wondering if sinus surgery is the only thing that'll clear this up.

Old 03-29-2021, 01:34 PM

68 posts, read 43,835 times
Do you eat alot of dairy? I've pretty much removed most of it from my diet except some cheese here and there. I notice when I do eat a bunch of it the congestion comes back with a vengeance.

Old 03-29-2021, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer48 View Post
Do you eat alot of dairy? I've pretty much removed most of it from my diet except some cheese here and there. I notice when I do eat a bunch of it the congestion comes back with a vengeance.
I've been trying to reduce my dairy intake. I still do eat small amounts of dairy on weekly basis, but not loads of it. Regardless, I'm hoping I don't have to cut out all dairy to have my fever go away. I'm convinced it's more than just a dairy issue.

Old 03-29-2021, 02:48 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
I've been trying to reduce my dairy intake. I still do eat small amounts of dairy on weekly basis, but not loads of it. Regardless, I'm hoping I don't have to cut out all dairy to have my fever go away. I'm convinced it's more than just a dairy issue.
I had a coworker who had to take intravenous antibiotics to get rid of sinus infections on almost a yearly basis. I had another coworker who got the surgery and gave it rave reviews, saying that she felt so much better afterward.

Old 03-29-2021, 07:43 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,511,316 times
I knew someone who had surgery twice and said it did nothing at all.

My sister suffered for years with "sinus infections" until the worst one ever sent her to the ER three times in three weeks. Someone appointed by the county to look over such occurrences saw the x-rays and called her to tell her that she needed a dentist. She went to the dentist and it turns out all her suffering, repeated infections, antibiotics, steroids, swellings and other things too horrible to discuss turned out to be a bad tooth.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:24 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,284,252 times
You might want to call your dentist. Infected teeth can lead to lingering sinus issues.

Old 03-30-2021, 01:25 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
I concur with the two posts above mine about tooth problems causing sinus infections. Be suspicious about the roots of the teeth. Such tooth problems can cause sinus infections, ear infections, throat infections, infections in the glands in the neck and around the face, abscesses in the gums, dry eye disease and other eye problems and chronic post nasal drip at night and low grade fevers.

Go see the dentist and explain your problem, get x-rays and whatever else done to find out the condition of the roots of the teeth as well as the bone density or porosity of the upper and lower jaws and tooth sockets. Find out if any roots of your teeth have hairline cracks or if any teeth are even the slightest bit loose in the tooth sockets due to age related bone loss or if the nerves in the teeth are particularly sensitive to cold and heat.

Old 03-30-2021, 01:36 AM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
For years I had severe sinus problems, discovered by a knowledgeable ENT that dairy products and other glutten were the problems. Went off dairy and was prescribed Prednisone 10 mg for any flare ups. Since this change I rarely have a flare up.
Also a Netti bottle rinse solution with warm water and mild shampoo soap (5 drops) helps clear out the sinuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness