Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 02:34 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I am sorry for your situation. Pain is no fun and it sounds like you have a lot of it.

I think sometimes the surgeon himself/herself are the reason some surgeries go well and some not so well. My surgeon was highly recommended to me by someone who had it years before I did. I also think I had a lot of incentive to make it successful. I worked my butt off doing everything they asked me to do. And I took initiative and got myself going in some things I was supposed to "wait for." I live alone, no one available to help me out when I got home (I did spend the extra time in the rehab) and wanted to be able to do some things for myself.

It is really an individual thing. I might have just been plain lucky.
Oh, the surgeon I had came highly recommended and he's got a lot of high marks on yelp too. About 10 not great marks... I've thought about it all for years and IF I ever did a surgery like this again...it would not be a Friday afternoon. I believe the surgeon was in a hurry to get out for the weekend and his work showed in my outcome....sloppy work I believe. I choose Friday as I wanted out of hospital on Monday...which happened and I was good 5 months out, but went downhill...everything settled and my body was off much more alignment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 01:13 PM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
A friend pf mine who's had chronic knee issues for a long time went to one of these "informational meetings" about stem cell treatment for knees, and apparently other random ailments. She is wealthy and took the bait. They spent quite literally tens of thousands on her knee stem cell treatment. I am still waiting to see improvement. She's told that it will take time. We'll see.

I just don't see a legitimate health procedure requiring sales seminars (complete with the free lunch) as necessary to find patients for them to work on. If a treatment was all that successful, people would be beating down the doctor's doors to get it, not have to be "sold" on it like a timeshare.

Many of these "clinics" prey on the sick and hurting because they know that some will do ANYTHING for relief or hope. I have a dear friend with early onset Parkinson's (she was diagnosed in her 30's). She found some crackpot clinic that was doing stem cell treatments for pretty much whatever ailed you. She had been sold on this treatment and was desperate for anything to improve her rapidly declining status. She put up a "go fund me" campaign to raise the thousands needed for this unproven treatment. I searched and searched for literature that showed any legitimate studies of this as a treatment for PD. I was unable to find ANY. She claimed that they told her she would be part of a "clinical study", but wanted her to PAY $15,000, cash, upfront, no guarantees. I painfully had to tell her that legitimate clinical studies PAY YOU to be a guinea pig, not the other way around. She never got the money, or the treatment, and there has certainly not been any news of "breakthroughs" in this area of study. I even called the "clinic" pretending to be a potential patient and asked about a randomly selected health condition and if their treatment could help it. Not surprisingly, they said it "might" and I could be part of a study for only $15,000. Yeah right! :/

Old 05-19-2018, 03:17 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I have a dear friend with early onset Parkinson's (she was diagnosed in her 30's).

I am sorry for your friend. That is a tough diagnosis at such a young age.

Quote:
She found some crackpot clinic that was doing stem cell treatments for pretty much whatever ailed you. She had been sold on this treatment and was desperate for anything to improve her rapidly declining status. She put up a "go fund me" campaign to raise the thousands needed for this unproven treatment. I searched and searched for literature that showed any legitimate studies of this as a treatment for PD. I was unable to find ANY. She claimed that they told her she would be part of a "clinical study", but wanted her to PAY $15,000, cash, upfront, no guarantees. I painfully had to tell her that legitimate clinical studies PAY YOU to be a guinea pig, not the other way around. She never got the money, or the treatment, and there has certainly not been any news of "breakthroughs" in this area of study. I even called the "clinic" pretending to be a potential patient and asked about a randomly selected health condition and if their treatment could help it. Not surprisingly, they said it "might" and I could be part of a study for only $15,000. Yeah right! :/

Was this U.S. Stem Cell Clinic, by any chance?

They offer treatments for many incurable conditions, including Parkinson's. The FDA is seeking a permanent injunction in federal court to prevent U.S. Stem Cell from marketing these so-called treatments without FDA approval.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
A friend pf mine who's had chronic knee issues for a long time went to one of these "informational meetings" about stem cell treatment for knees, and apparently other random ailments. She is wealthy and took the bait. They spent quite literally tens of thousands on her knee stem cell treatment. I am still waiting to see improvement. She's told that it will take time. We'll see.

I just don't see a legitimate health procedure requiring sales seminars (complete with the free lunch) as necessary to find patients for them to work on. If a treatment was all that successful, people would be beating down the doctor's doors to get it, not have to be "sold" on it like a timeshare.

Many of these "clinics" prey on the sick and hurting because they know that some will do ANYTHING for relief or hope. I have a dear friend with early onset Parkinson's (she was diagnosed in her 30's). She found some crackpot clinic that was doing stem cell treatments for pretty much whatever ailed you. She had been sold on this treatment and was desperate for anything to improve her rapidly declining status. She put up a "go fund me" campaign to raise the thousands needed for this unproven treatment. I searched and searched for literature that showed any legitimate studies of this as a treatment for PD. I was unable to find ANY. She claimed that they told her she would be part of a "clinical study", but wanted her to PAY $15,000, cash, upfront, no guarantees. I painfully had to tell her that legitimate clinical studies PAY YOU to be a guinea pig, not the other way around. She never got the money, or the treatment, and there has certainly not been any news of "breakthroughs" in this area of study. I even called the "clinic" pretending to be a potential patient and asked about a randomly selected health condition and if their treatment could help it. Not surprisingly, they said it "might" and I could be part of a study for only $15,000. Yeah right! :/
If you read Jack Nicklaus reports, he said it took some time for his stem cells. The MD here does not charge thousands upfront, pay for treatments as one goes along. And I've read 3-4 weeks in between treatments if needed...the more chronic the issues the more treatments. But no invasive dangerous surgery with months of rehab and pain pills and fear of infections and it goes on and on. Money is the only thing holding me back from either PRP or Stem Cells. I'm not wealthy like the lady you mention.

Here is the fee schedule of the doctor I would go to:

Fees & Insurance - Dr. Marc Darrow is a Stem Cell, PRP,Prolotherapy Expert in Los Angeles.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:55 PM

Stem Cells are used worldwide for many health conditions. Here in the U.S. my sister's doctors kept her hanging on for the stem cells to be approved in the U.S. for her MS and she died before she could try any...stem cells never came.

Now a friend with MS went to the Dominican Republic over 20 yrs ago and for like $25K she went thru the treatment and she is doing pretty well, still has MS but alive and walking. She and my sister were about the same ages.

There are stems for many issues.

The doctor I would go to works only on joints.

Old 05-20-2018, 01:18 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Stem Cells are used worldwide for many health conditions. Here in the U.S. my sister's doctors kept her hanging on for the stem cells to be approved in the U.S. for her MS and she died before she could try any...stem cells never came.

Now a friend with MS went to the Dominican Republic over 20 yrs ago and for like $25K she went thru the treatment and she is doing pretty well, still has MS but alive and walking. She and my sister were about the same ages.

There are stems for many issues.

The doctor I would go to works only on joints.
You do know that MS commonly goes into remission with no treatment at all, don't you?

What do you not understand about the concept that stem cell treatment has not been shown to work for all the conditions it is being promoted for?

https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/Con.../ucm286155.htm

Old 05-20-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You do know that MS commonly goes into remission with no treatment at all, don't you?

What do you not understand about the concept that stem cell treatment has not been shown to work for all the conditions it is being promoted for?

https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/Con.../ucm286155.htm
My sister evidently went into remission for 20+ yrs and worked her body off with her profession and then ended up with a ton of drugs and she's gone. I understand a lot SQ. I lived thru years of MS with my sister.

Stem Cells do work, they are being used here in the U.S. on joints for sure and other parts of the world for many other health conditions... Do you read any of my info that I post?

It's the surgeries and steroids etc that are failing us in many cases. I'm a prime example.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-20-2018 at 03:37 PM..

Old 05-20-2018, 03:16 PM

On the back and Jack Nicklaus story and from reading one of his stories he had some back surgery along the way and probably many types of injections etc from the allopathic world. Then he found this German doctor and tells his story on Stem Cells. His back issues go back a lot of years. My brother is a longtime golfer and has his share of back issues....I talked him out of back surgery a couple yrs ago. Now if my brother could afford the PRP/Stem Cells, I know he can't.

I just heard another hour with my favorite MD on Prolo work of the three types and just about EVERYONE calls in and has been thru steroids of cortisone injections and epidurals and still in massive messes....looking for help from this Brilliant man's his work. Darrow talks about how messed up his body was when he was in his 40's and he's been injecting himself for well over 20 yrs -- I think he's headed toward 70. He did many sports and still does plenty for what he's doing and his age.

Old 05-20-2018, 03:51 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
https://www.webmd.com/back-pain/news...ow-back-pain#2

"'Low back pain often gets better over time,' said Dr. Richard Deyo ... 'Even patients who have chronic pain, their symptoms tend to wax and wane and fluctuate. They seek care when their symptoms are worst, and very often they drift back to their average level of pain, which looks like improvement.'

'People grasp at straws, and they shouldn't. We have a long history of treatments that look promising when they start and turn out to be no more effective than placebo interventions,' said Deyo ... 'We also have a history of treatments that, in some cases, turned out to be harmful. It's really too early to know if this is going to be effective or safe.'"

Old 05-20-2018, 03:52 PM

On these stem cells and joint replacements, a good friend had a shoulder replacement a couple yrs ago, after an initial shoulder surgery which failed her. She says that the surgeon who did the replacement added Stem Cells injections in the work he was doing with her replacement, this for faster healing I'm told. So these ortho surgeons KNOW about stem cells and this one used them in her surgery. She's had a hard recovery with the replacement. But it's done, and we can't undo surgery. My both shoulders are issues, and the one that had the prolo 10 yrs ago is so much better with moving it, ROM etc..and less pain. So I KNOW it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness