Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2019, 05:42 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times

Advertisements

I can't help but believe so many with depression, major or otherwise are not being supported for thyroid issues. Maybe you see yourself in this link. This was my unfound issue for 10 yrs of depression.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/emoti...yroid-problem/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 07:09 PM

And then there is this MTHFR Gene Mutation and I don't believe I have it, never tested, but I found that taking higher doses of methyl folate just helps me feel more up. I know a person on another board who claims to have the mutation gene and finally is taking a pharma drug, Deplin, and it's saving her life of horrible depression. I believe a member here claims the gene too.

https://wellnessmama.com/27148/mthfr-mutation/

Within this link is one from Dr. Ben Lynch he lists 64 issues related to this gene.

Actually methylfolate is one of the additions my MD has me taking to get my homocysteine levels reduced, and I've been taking it for probably 5 yrs or so.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-19-2019 at 07:38 PM..

Old 05-20-2019, 04:08 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,017,255 times
Well geeze. These symptoms apply to 80% of the people I know....

Old 05-20-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
Well geeze. These symptoms apply to 80% of the people I know....
Well, could be many have the mutation.

Old 05-20-2019, 01:52 PM

2,466 posts, read 2,766,292 times
I'm seeing wild assumptions starting.

Here's a post by an Epidemiologist that discusses MTHFR variants and mutations. She writes in layman terms so easy to understand. She also explains the difference between gene variants and gene mutations for those that don't know or understand the differences.

https://www.self.com/story/mthfr-gen...ting-explained

Quote:
To date, there are no large-scale, well-designed epidemiological studies that prove that either of these variants cause the health effects that these health forums commonly associate with them...

MTHDR mutations, on the other hand, can cause health problems-- but this is very rare.

Old 05-20-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
I'm seeing wild assumptions starting.

Here's a post by an Epidemiologist that discusses MTHFR variants and mutations. She writes in layman terms so easy to understand. She also explains the difference between gene variants and gene mutations for those that don't know or understand the differences.

https://www.self.com/story/mthfr-gen...ting-explained
I posted this thought as some have talked like they are resistant to some drugs they take for their issues. That's all, no assumptions.

Old 05-21-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Well, could be many have the mutation.
Quote:
I posted this thought as some have talked like they are resistant to some drugs they take for their issues. That's all, no assumptions.

The first quote is an assumption-- a wild one in my opinion. Statistically, MTHFR mutations are rare so the use of the word "many" is out of place. If you were talking about an MTHFR variant that's more common. There's a large difference between a variant and a mutation- it's not interchangeable terminology.

Old 05-21-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
The first quote is an assumption-- a wild one in my opinion. Statistically, MTHFR mutations are rare so the use of the word "many" is out of place. If you were talking about an MTHFR variant that's more common. There's a large difference between a variant and a mutation- it's not interchangeable terminology.
Semantics, I originally said "could be" many....we don't know and many could be living with this gene. I don't think there was anything wild about what I posted.

I've learned to post my words and read others with care. It's amazing how a word misused can turn a post into some havoc.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Semantics, I originally said "could be" many....we don't know and many could be living with this gene.

I can't even.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:04 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
Quote:
Yes, and they have tests like the Genesight that you can do now for certain issues that can help detect certain (relevant) mutations that would affect how you metabolize certain drugs. They do them for psychotropic medications, analgesics, and a few other medications and tell you whether you are likely to have moderate or severe problems with a drug based on how you are likely to metabolize it. I’ve had it recommended to me in the past because I am not sure how well I can tolerate psychotropic medications. That said, I don’t think that any variant causes problems ON ITS OWN, it just creates problems when I want to take certain medications.

On the other hand, I have a friend who has the mutations that cause blood clots and he has to take anticoagulants for life because he tried to go without them and immediately got a clot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness