Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 07:02 AM

807 posts, read 1,037,434 times

Advertisements

My BP went from 160/90 to 117/77.

I did this by dropping my weight from 241 to 201, limiting my salt intake to under 1500mg per day, and I take two Coenzyme Q10 pills each day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 07:51 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,726,719 times
Actually, those who talk about health and wellness are right on. I have a good friend whose family are into medical research (they made 10's of millions from innovations, so I'm sure they know something) and he actually stopped taking BP meds. He is 70 and an athlete......

BUT, the cost and the discipline required would be completely impossible for most people. He travels 1,000 miles to see a particular doc and takes supplements that would pay a small mortgage.

I am vegetarian. I am fairly healthy (still very active at 65). But my BP has always run toward the higher end. I never took meds for it...wasn't that high. Then stress put it over a top - a family member who required multiple surgeries and an infant we had to care for (at our age), etc.

That sent my BP soaring.

Anyway, the point here is...if one does take BP meds, take as small a dose as possible and still practice good health. I have no doubt that lifestyle can raise BP....but also little doubt that modern life creates stresses that cannot be easily mitigated.

Remember, as far as "the universe" is concerned, we would likely all pass away well before "old age". So modern life is, in many ways, a construct. We have concocted a situation where we actually have pleasures (wasn't as true throughout history) and may want to hang around longer to experience them...

And so, judge not (health food types).....nor anyone else.

Note - I've been veggie since I was 15. Worked in a macrobiotic restaurant when I was 16. Was completely vegan for a couple of years and now a lacto-veggie (eat dairy).

Old 07-22-2018, 09:03 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,151,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Thanks for the free medical advice, that every Tom Dick and Harry has. Tried so many things. One was celery., ate it, until it came out of my ears, drank more teas from the herb store, that they swore by. Spent most of my time peeing. In the meantime my BP was on the rise, and yes I was walking, now I have heel pain Now I pop my pill once a day, and BP is perfect
If you want to pop pills rather than work on your health, don’t complain later when you are very very ill.

Popping pills only manages the symptoms, and does nothing to stop the underlying conditions that cause the HBP. This is what CDC medicine is designed to do: manage the symptoms.

Celery and herb teas have nothing to do with dealing with HPB. Beets are a proven blood pressure reducer. Chocolate has been shown in medical studies to reduce BP. Taurine fixes the severe deficiency which has been shown in dogs who have low taurine, since the is no CDC to screw with it, and which causes AFB. Taurine is cheap and also reduced BP.

Do what you want.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:08 AM

8,235 posts, read 3,446,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

Remember, as far as "the universe" is concerned, we would likely all pass away well before "old age". So modern life is, in many ways, a construct. We have concocted a situation where we actually have pleasures (wasn't as true throughout history) and may want to hang around longer to experience them...
I feel I have to correct this, because it is part of the medical mythology, and is very misleading.

There have been societies where most people died young, because of bad conditions. But there also have been many societies where people were healthy into old age, with no modern medicine. There are some places like that today, which have been studied.

There is a statistical misunderstanding which causes most people to think prehistoric humans had very short lives. Yes, on average they did, because many infants died, bringing the average way down. This is a fact of nature in most species -- more are born than are healthy enough to survive.

Modern medicine has made it possible for most infants to survive. This is good for the infants and their parents, but bad for the species. Not how nature intended, but still the major accomplishment of modern medicine.

Primitive societies have been studied in the early 20th century, and they probably resembled some of the prehistoric societies. If they lived in a good environment, they could be healthy and happy, and often lived to old age if they survived infancy.

And they had pleasures, just not high tech pleasures.

Most people never study anthropology, so they believe the modern myth that all humans were miserable before modern medicine and technology.

I am not trying to bash modern society, but I need to counter the myths that cause so many to choose drugs over a natural lifestyle.

There have been many miserable societies, that we know. But ours is certainly not the only one where people can be healthy and enjoy life. And we have many disadvantages -- toxic air and water, addiction to substances and technology, social fragmentation, etc., etc.

There are pros and cons. But the point is that natural IS better, in general. Not always, but in general.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

At the time my hypertension was diagnosed I weighed 135 pounds and was walking 4 miles per day five or more days per week, outside or on a treadmill. I actually wore my first treadmill out. Got a commercial one after that, which I still have. I walked every opportunity that I could. I parked far from the doors to stores. I walked at the mall. I walked at the local track. I even walked in airports. Still had the high blood pressure, controlled on medication.
Ok maybe yours is entirely genetic. Or maybe there is another cause that medical science has not discovered.

But very, very often it is lifestyle. Most Americans get no regular exercise, and many live on unnatural food.

Hypertension is rare in non-industrialized societies, so obviously the modern lifestyle is a major factor. Why do some individuals get extremely high BP for no apparent reason? Maybe that's still a mystery. Maybe it is something in the unnatural modern environment, that some individuals are genetically vulnerable to.

Old 07-22-2018, 11:36 AM

10,129 posts, read 6,501,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
If you want to pop pills rather than work on your health, don’t complain later when you are very very ill.

Popping pills only manages the symptoms, and does nothing to stop the underlying conditions that cause the HBP. This is what CDC medicine is designed to do: manage the symptoms.

Celery and herb teas have nothing to do with dealing with HPB. Beets are a proven blood pressure reducer. Chocolate has been shown in medical studies to reduce BP. Taurine fixes the severe deficiency which has been shown in dogs who have low taurine, since the is no CDC to screw with it, and which causes AFB. Taurine is cheap and also reduced BP.

Do what you want.
You know, if doesn't have to be an either/or choice. I was following a very low fat diet in recent months with moderate exercise. I was also losing weight steadily under a physician's supervision, not that I was morbidly obese or anything like it to begin with. My BP was well within acceptable limits. None of that kept me from having a heart attack or having my heart stop during the attack. I still maintain the low fat regimen but I also watch my sodium intake now. I also take a daily dose of losartan on my cardologist's prescription. He's the one who fixed my heart and inserted the three stents so I seriously trust the guy. My BP is even lower now and we're both happy with it. So the combo "pill popping"/"health watching" plan is certainly working for me.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
You know, if doesn't have to be an either/or choice. I was following a very low fat diet in recent months with moderate exercise. I was also losing weight steadily under a physician's supervision, not that I was morbidly obese or anything like it to begin with. My BP was well within acceptable limits. None of that kept me from having a heart attack or having my heart stop during the attack. I still maintain the low fat regimen but I also watch my sodium intake now. I also take a daily dose of losartan on my cardologist's prescription. He's the one who fixed my heart and inserted the three stents so I seriously trust the guy. My BP is even lower now and we're both happy with it. So the combo "pill popping"/"health watching" plan is certainly working for me.
A low fat diet is not usually recommended anymore. Carbohydrates, especially if refined, are now considered to contribute to heart disease, via metabolic syndrome.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:35 PM

48,624 posts, read 35,078,116 times
I am ideopathic, and at it's worse it 199/114. I am 122 lbs, 5'5, and exercise strenuously (cardio and weights), and eat healthy, 25 % body fat and a size 4. I don't drink much or smoke.

Quinaprel works very well.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-22-2018, 01:21 PM

10,129 posts, read 6,501,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
A low fat diet is not usually recommended anymore. Carbohydrates, especially if refined, are now considered to contribute to heart disease, via metabolic syndrome.
Oh, I restrict carbs too, especially the refined ones. I eat a lot of organic mixed greens these days. The only fats I try to eat are the so-called "good" fats in moderation. No more red meat for for me, not for some time now.

Old 07-22-2018, 01:40 PM

15,058 posts, read 12,258,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I am ideopathic, and at it's worse it 199/114. I am 122 lbs, 5'5, and exercise strenuously (cardio and weights), and eat healthy, 25 % body fat and a size 4. I don't drink much or smoke.

Quinaprel works very well.
That's about what my blood pressure would be ( has been), and then some, without the medication.

Glad you have something that keeps it under control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness