Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 10:31 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times

Advertisements

I've had two surgeries in my life, a hysterectomy in my 40's and I'm left with going on 40 yrs of sciatic nerve damage. That surgery was in early 80's.

Then a hip replacement in 2010, living with 3 major complications from that surgery.

I'm not willing to do any more surgeries if I can help it. Here is some info to understand.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/under...urgery-3156959

Proceed at your own risks.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:43 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,123,754 times
Before any surgery a signed consent is required (for those I was not conscious for my DH signed the consent). The anesthesiologist ALWAYS explained the risks of surgery including death.

Do people really listen to the anesthesiologist and sign a consent without understanding all of the risks of any surgical procedure?

Old 08-16-2018, 10:44 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,977,890 times
Surgical risks are not a secret.

Patients are given an informed consent form to read and sign before surgery. Your doctor, your surgeon, the surgical staff, and the hospital all want you to be aware of the risks before the surgery, so you are told to read and sign the informed consent form to make sure that you understand the risks involved, and there are always risks involved in any kind of surgery. Again, it's not a secret.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:47 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Signed consents were required 30 yrs ago, too.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:55 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
And by the time people are given those consent forms to sign they are just about on the operating tables...no time to think about anything. I suppose too MOST don't think things will go wrong, I didn't with both surgeries I had.

One can sign miles of consents and liability releases and end up with complications. That paperwork means not that much. Unless, one is so damaged and then lawsuits enter into the picture.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-16-2018 at 11:36 AM..

Old 08-16-2018, 11:08 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,584,478 times
Everyone should know there are risks for surgery and those are usually outlined in the paperwork that you sign at the surgeon’s office and surgical center/hospital. Anyone who doesn’t read those is not too bright. Also you should always ask your surgeon what the risks and benefits are and do an analysis of whether it’s worth it to you.

I’ve had about every surgical complication in the book it seems but I knew the risks going in. From infections to blood clots to nerve damage/pain...

Old 08-16-2018, 11:15 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
And by the time people are given those consent forms to sign they are just about on the operating tables...no time to think about anything. I suppose too MOST don't think things will go wrong, I didn't with both surgeries I had.
I’ve had 2 surgeries as well and with both I had preoperative appointments with the surgeon. During both of these appointments the surgeon explained the possible risks of the surgeries as well as possible complications, outcomes and post op care. I left both appointments with this information in written form.

Yes, I signed the consent form once I was admitted to the hospital the morning of the surgery and they went back over all the info the surgeon had already shared, but at that point I’d had several weeks to review the information, ask questions and was completely informed. Unless one has an emergency that requires immediate surgery, there’s plenty of time to think.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:18 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,123,754 times
Quote:
I am sorry, but that is just ridiculous. Before I even receive an IV the nurse brings the consent to read and asks if I have any questions since I am blind the nurse reads every bit of the consent form to me. Then the anesthesiologist stops by to ask questions and goes over the risks of anesthesia and lastly my surgeon comes in and goes over the procedure, possible outcomes and the risks involved.

Only then does any actual medication go into the IV to relax me as I am taken into the theater. In emergency situations my DH reads and signs the necessary documents. If anyone fails to take the situation seriously then they are simply foolish.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:58 AM

48,522 posts, read 34,843,322 times
DH just had shoulder surgery and we had a pre-op meeting to discuss what they would do, what they would look for, what they would do if they found something new, the expectations of recovery, worse case scenarios, rehab time....

Then the day of surgery they went back over it again, then the anesthesiologist came in to discuss what he would be given, possible side effects of the medications, choice of a nerve block and the possible side effects of THAT.... Then we were given ALL of that, in written form.

I feel over educated.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-16-2018, 12:02 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,977,890 times
Quote:

One can sign miles of consents and liability releases and end up with complications. That paperwork means not that much. Unless, one is so damaged and then lawsuits enter into the picture.
Of course you can end up with complications, that's WHY you are given INFORMED CONSENT forms to sign.

Informed = means you've been told of the risks.

Consent = means you consent to the surgery.

If you don't like the risks, don't consent to the surgery. It's up to you, that's why you are given the information and told to read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness