Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 12:38 PM

1,203 posts, read 618,753 times

Advertisements

Benzos are actually considered to be a very safe drug class. Taken on their own, it is pretty much impossible to overdose. People overdose with them with alcohol.

Right now, there is an active push to get providers certified to prescribe Suboxone addiction treatment. The required education is not a huge amount. When they first start, there are limits to the number of patients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 01:38 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
To clarify and qualify - Benzodiazepines are a safer drug than opioids or barbiturates when taken as prescribed, for short term use and not combined with other central nervous system depressants.

One of the problems in prescribing is that the doctor fails to determine whether he is prescribing them to someone who has the potential for drug abuse or is an addict.

When prescribed for longer periods there is the potential for tolerance and physical addiction. The withdrawal period is long and torturous and can last up to a year or more.

Old 08-04-2018, 03:25 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,291,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
My wife was prescribed Lorazepam and, after we read all the warnings, she never took one!

Yeah but she better not read any warnings on any medication then.

Old 08-04-2018, 03:34 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,291,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh she has a fear of pharma drugs anyway. Claims a pain med she took for years for female issues caused the major hearing loss she lives with. She is not throwing the meds away, she is throwing the scripts away and goes to work on finding alternatives to what she is being prescribed. She often asks me to use Dr. Google for her since she is not a computer owner.

Oh I see lawsuit written all over this. Naturopath believer is internet doctor for elderly woman who throws out her scripts and ignores real doctors. Yup, Evening News at 7

Old 08-04-2018, 03:55 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,251,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily003 View Post
But instead of drugging yourself or depending on that small dose, why can't you just learn how to deal with things without it???
Wow. You are unreal. Disgusting.

Old 08-04-2018, 03:56 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Oh I see lawsuit written all over this. Naturopath believer is internet doctor for elderly woman who throws out her scripts and ignores real doctors. Yup, Evening News at 7
Oh you gave me my first chuckle. I guess all the pharma doctors who spill stuff all over are OK to go. I'm sure she's the only one who throws scripts away...she wishes she had not taken the 2 caps of Cipro...should have thrown that one away. We are friends and she trusts me more than the doctors and their drugs and the grief from them.

Old 08-04-2018, 03:57 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,251,365 times
Quote:
Lol. This.

Old 08-04-2018, 03:59 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
LOL...

...drug companies, I believe, are required to list every symptom that came up during trials. That means if three people out of hundreds developed muscle pain while taking the med, it will be on the list of side effects.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:03 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:

She is on many medications for her cancer. We read all the warnings + we have a PHD that also reads the warnings (our son). We try to make the best decisions with the information we are given. That does not mean that we don't make mistakes; there are many medications and many side effects.

I had worked for a pharmaceutical company up until I found out about my wife's cancer at the beginning of this year - but we only made good drugs! We also understand that even water can have a warning: Too much can kill you! The more information you have; the better off you will be - but don't lose track of your ultimate goal to be healthy!

Old 08-04-2018, 06:13 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,717 times
No, we should not be blaming the patients. Blame the doctors and psychiatrists who have convinced their patients that there is a pill for everything, even being sad. Blame Big Pharma and their cutesy ads for everything under the sun. Blaming the patient comes in dead last. I'll blame sunspots first.

That said, patients who have been trained over decades to think they have no control over their own feelings are a problem as well. But they didn't get that way overnight, and retraining has to be consistent - and MDs and psychiatrists are simply NOT INTERESTED in doing this. They WANT you to be dependent on them for pills forever.

Frankly (I am a trained clinical psychologist) I think control of the DSM should be removed from the purview of psychiatrists altogether - they keep coming up with more and more excuses for throwing pills at people, pills that often have very serious side effects and are rarely any more effective than placebo. This bit in the latest version of the DSM that is giving permission to identify CHILDREN as "manic depressive" and then dosing them up with powerful, harmful psychotropic meds is just printed awfulness. ALL kids are "manic depressive" - they have mood lability out the ying-yang. Its natural for kids to be that way. And the way it was written, normal childhood behaviour in that vein is now an excuse to drug them out of their minds.

I doubt there is a single human being on the planet who doesn't qualify for SOME kind of psychiatric diagnosis now or in the past, the way that thing has been written. Psychiatrists make a whole lotta money dispensing psychotropic meds. Letting THEM write the criteria for deciding who should take them is like hiring a wolf and his crew of fox-workers to build your hen house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness