Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 12:34 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times

Advertisements

At some point though people need to hold themselves accountable. What suburban_guy posted shows that you don't necessarily have to have a weight problem eating "evil packaged foods" or fast food.

Junk food has its place, but only in moderation. And yes, people can learn to eat in moderation and just eat a serving instead of three, four, five....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It really is crazy. They have made sure there are, literally, hundreds of options to entice you. Where I shop the soda/juice, crackers/cookies, chips aisles take up the most space.

I guess it has become like leaving drugs or alcohol around an addict.....

I keep reminding the manlet, these companies engineer the food to get you addicted, that is actually their goal, and they really don't care what the nutritional value is or whether it's healthy, they just want you hooked on it.
What has helped me sail right past those aisles with no issue is allowing myself my weekly indulgence. Let's face it junk food tastes good and falls under "because it feels good" category. You don't need a chocolate bar, but there are times in your life that nothing but junk will do. What one has to do is relegate junk to the exception rather than the rule. That's what I do. I physically can't take junk food for more than 1-2 days.

I also eat a frozen dinner for lunch. It's packaged and most of them are sodium bombs, but I work around that by eating less sodium throughout the day and selecting the meals with the least amount of sodium. I need all the time and convenience that I can get working a stressful job, being a working mom, and a wife, lol.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:05 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
At some point though people need to hold themselves accountable. What suburban_guy posted shows that you don't necessarily have to have a weight problem eating "evil packaged foods" or fast food.

Junk food has its place, but only in moderation. And yes, people can learn to eat in moderation and just eat a serving instead of three, four, five....
It's not that easy. Science has proven they have found just the right combination of sugar and fat to get us hooked and keep us hooked.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:42 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Quote:

I agree, and that self control is what has been killing the world in terms of fighting obesity.

I admit sometimes I struggle. Who can eat only a few pieces of chips from a bag, I bet most people end up scarfing 3/4 of the bag or even the whole thing in one sitting.

From a very young age I was 'conditioned' to eat so much in one sitting that I would have stomach pains sometimes. It is no coincidence I was a fat kid, and throughout my life struggled with weight if I wasn't careful.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:01 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,773 times
Quote:
I also eat a frozen dinner for lunch. It's packaged and most of them are sodium bombs, but I work around that by eating less sodium throughout the day and selecting the meals with the least amount of sodium. I need all the time and convenience that I can get working a stressful job, being a working mom, and a wife, lol.

I would be scared to eat those every day. Frozen dinners I believe are also engineered to make sure you always want to eat more of them. Even beyond sodium, they probably have tons of artificial ingredients that are harmful if eaten frequently. Perhaps you might be able to only eat frozen dinners once or twice a week?

Old 10-17-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
I would be scared to eat those every day. Frozen dinners I believe are also engineered to make sure you always want to eat more of them. Even beyond sodium, they probably have tons of artificial ingredients that are harmful if eaten frequently. Perhaps you might be able to only eat frozen dinners once or twice a week?
Actually they don’t stimulate me to eat more. They’re great when it comes to portion control. I’ve also looked at the ingredient list and it checks out. These aren’t your mamas frozen dinners. The only knock against them is sodium. I’ve eaten them during the work week for years to no ill effect and the convenience and variety can’t be beat. I am extremely time challenged and need quick meals that are no more than 300 calories. Everything else I consume comes from my kitchen..

Old 10-17-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I agree, and that self control is what has been killing the world in terms of fighting obesity.

I admit sometimes I struggle. Who can eat only a few pieces of chips from a bag, I bet most people end up scarfing 3/4 of the bag or even the whole thing in one sitting.

From a very young age I was 'conditioned' to eat so much in one sitting that I would have stomach pains sometimes. It is no coincidence I was a fat kid, and throughout my life struggled with weight if I wasn't careful.
Yes I struggle too. That’s why I give myself a day of no holds barred. By doing that the struggle throughout the rest of the week is manageable,

Old 10-20-2018, 10:04 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,136,306 times
Quote:
Yes I struggle too. That’s why I give myself a day of no holds barred. By doing that the struggle throughout the rest of the week is manageable,
I came across an interesting article in Psychology Today, that brings up the idea that for some people moderation is the key, and for some, abstaining is the better strategy:

Are You an Abstainer or a Moderator?

Quote:
. . .When dealing with temptation, I often see the advice, “Be moderate. Don’t have ice cream every night, but if you try to deny yourself altogether, you’ll fall off the wagon. Allow yourself to have the occasional treat, it will help you stick to your plan.”

I’ve come to believe that this is good advice for some people: the “moderators.” They do better when they avoid absolutes and strict rules.

For a long time, I kept trying this strategy of moderation–and failing. Then I read a line from Samuel Johnson, who said, when someone offered him wine: “Abstinence is as easy to me as temperance would be difficult.”

Ah ha! Like Dr. Johnson, I’m an “abstainer.”

I find it far easier to give something up altogether than to indulge moderately. . .

There’s no right way or wrong way–it’s just a matter of knowing which strategy works better for you. If moderators try to abstain, they feel trapped and rebellious. If abstainers try to be moderate, they spend a lot of precious energy justifying why they should go ahead and indulge. . .

Old 10-21-2018, 07:13 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
If I eat a very low-fat/high-carb diet, I can eat a lot and not get fat.

Ditto if I eat a very low-carb/high-fat diet.

The difference is I physically feel much better doing a very low-carb diet.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:26 PM

9,096 posts, read 6,321,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
If I eat a very low-fat/high-carb diet, I can eat a lot and not get fat.

Ditto if I eat a very low-carb/high-fat diet.

The difference is I physically feel much better doing a very low-carb diet.
I put myself on an extreme low carb diet for about 18 months and dropped from 173lbs down to 127lbs. The last couple of weeks I reintroduced some additional carbs and I am back up to 133lbs over the last two weeks. Now everyone including my primary care physician had been saying that I got too skinny. According to my doctor my BMI was down to 19.6 and he didn't like that. Like you the higher carb intake makes me feel worse than the low carb diet. The last couple of weeks I have felt noticeably less energetic and less able to concentrate on things when compared to the time I was eating very little carbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness