Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 07:25 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Condoms alone are only 85-88% effective.

But:

Condoms + Fertility Awareness = 99.96% effective with perfect use - 96.6% effective with typical use
Condoms + Withdrawal = 99.92% effective with perfect use - 96.2% effective with typical use

Condoms are free at many locations across the country.
Sounds great...but those are all the most ineffective methods as well as requiring the most forethought, self-control, and attention to detail - and guys hate condoms and fight them at every turn.

So thanks for solving that problem for the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
A lot of women are really afraid of the insertion pain. I have talked to some women about it and they just won’t consider it because they’ve heard the insertion is bad. I’m not going to lie and say it isn’t bad, but it’s like an afternoon and then overall it’s not really much of a problem after that. I had so many symptoms before and the IUD helped A LOT, so it was worth it to me to have an afternoon of pain to reduce the symptoms. I got it after the ACA kicked in and it was just the cost of the office visit. I’m worried that the benefit might go away soon so I will get my next one after my next appointment so I don’t have to pay the outrageous cost for it. I had originally put it off due to the expense, but there was no excuse for me once the ACA kicked in.
I've loved my IUD - used them for 20 years - insertion and withdrawal were both a cinch. Also, good even post-menopausally to balance estrogen if you get the IUD that has some progestin.

Old 08-25-2018, 01:19 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Funny you should mention IUD's. I was going to post to Minidriver, that the guy in a marriage getting snipped isn't the only high-reliability method of bc. IUD's are more reliable than oral contraceptives. Heck, after 3 unplanned pregnancies, Mini could suggest both methods: him getting snipped and wife getting an IUD. Great post, swgirl!
I assume that the type of IUD that dispenses birth-control hormones, as well as providing a mechanical block to implantation, is what's being discussed here. You get two types of birth-control in one. The previous poster who said that her periods had ended, must be using one of that type. There are also IUDs that provide only the mechanical block to implantation and might be used along with birth-control pills or some other method.

Old 08-25-2018, 04:07 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I assume that the type of IUD that dispenses birth-control hormones, as well as providing a mechanical block to implantation, is what's being discussed here. You get two types of birth-control in one. The previous poster who said that her periods had ended, must be using one of that type. There are also IUDs that provide only the mechanical block to implantation and might be used along with birth-control pills or some other method.
You would be correct. I am using a smaller IUD called Kyleena. It is a hormonal IUD and it also prevents the sperm from adhering to the walls of the uterus. It provides protection for 5 years and the gyno told me that there would be spotting and that my periods may stop. There is a copper (non-hormonal IUD) that is good for 12 but from what I read it can increase periods. As Ramen Addict said, and I was too, women are afraid of the pain of insertion. I went online and read stories and scared the crap out of myself for no reason. I think I chose that instead of the implant because the birth control hormones are concentrated in the uterus rather than through the whole body. I got sick of condoms because, let's face it, latex stinks, and I am a poor candidate for the pill. I read that Depo shouldn't be used longer than a couple of years and that it can contribute to osteoporosis. I was considering Essure, but that contains nickel and has a longer recovery time.

I took my SO with me just in case I needed someone to drive me home and also so that he could ask questions and be better informed. When it was inserted it was like one big cramp and then it was over. My SO drove me home and I laid around for the rest of the day. I'd rather go through that any day instead of an abortion or live birth. And the guy cannot feel the difference during intercourse.

Old 08-25-2018, 04:32 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
What's the purpose of this thread? Is it a passive aggressive attempt to disparage those with unplanned pregnancies and/or communities you think shouldn't procreate?

Everyone knows how to get a condom. A three pack is less than a #5 value meal at McDs.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:48 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,697,086 times
Abstinence is 100% guaranteed if your not trying to have a child.

Old 08-25-2018, 12:18 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
In theory yes. But unfortunately, some people do not take no for an answer.

Old 08-25-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
...and you're saying "no" to keep the population under control?

Old 08-25-2018, 01:54 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
A lot of women are really afraid of the insertion pain. I have talked to some women about it and they just won’t consider it because they’ve heard the insertion is bad. I’m not going to lie and say it isn’t bad, but it’s like an afternoon and then overall it’s not really much of a problem after that. I had so many symptoms before and the IUD helped A LOT, so it was worth it to me to have an afternoon of pain to reduce the symptoms. I got it after the ACA kicked in and it was just the cost of the office visit. I’m worried that the benefit might go away soon so I will get my next one after my next appointment so I don’t have to pay the outrageous cost for it. I had originally put it off due to the expense, but there was no excuse for me once the ACA kicked in.
Sedation dentistry is common and I don't see why sedation IUD insertion couldn't be the same.

I am willing to bet if it was a common procedure for men, sedation would be the norm.

Old 08-25-2018, 01:56 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Do you really expect married couples to practice abstinence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness