Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 07:54 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,083,846 times

Advertisements

Often, they are looking for a non-threatening response, and probably one that they want to hear, and is in line with their thinking. Comfort and support! A forum like this is not the place to seek this kind of help, unless you are going to follow it up with a professional opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 07:59 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that a visit to the doctor can result in debilitating financial burdens.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:05 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
My most recent ER experience was 3 hours long and the hospital billed my insurance close to $6000. Our cost was $2500. You're darn right we consult the internet before running off to the doctor's office!
Yes, I think many probably just want to see if their symptoms warrant seeing a doctor or ER before jumping the gun. No one wants to be running to the doctor needlessly. I think this forum has been very helpful for some folks here. I have seen many who were urged to see a doctor and took the advice. I have also seen many share their experiences and provided a pretty accurate diagnosis. We all are just sharing opinions and information, what people ultimately do is their own choice.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:55 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,131 times
Of course you are right but you know, this is not Canada or Europe and health care costs money. A lot of it. And it is my belief that these people who don't have or can't afford health care are doing this.

So, unless we fix the problem of having access to healthcare, there will be people ignoring their sickness or trying to heal themselves.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:33 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Thinking about this subject and all the thyroid troubles I went thru for 10 yrs and no help from doctors I went to all those years, I found thyroid support groups that were lifesavers and thru them did so much research on my own thru books etc and still do.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:58 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Yes, I think many probably just want to see if their symptoms warrant seeing a doctor or ER before jumping the gun. No one wants to be running to the doctor needlessly. I think this forum has been very helpful for some folks here. I have seen many who were urged to see a doctor and took the advice. I have also seen many share their experiences and provided a pretty accurate diagnosis. We all are just sharing opinions and information, what people ultimately do is their own choice.
Yes, people suffering from something that is not an emergency, want to share or learn from other "sufferers" and you don't get that from a doctor. And the exorbitant cost and wait for a doctor, often.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:33 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yes, people suffering from something that is not an emergency, want to share or learn from other "sufferers" and you don't get that from a doctor. And the exorbitant cost and wait for a doctor, often.
This is what this forum should be used for. Absolutely correct!

NEVER for POTENTIAL EMERGENCIES!!!!!!!

Old 09-09-2018, 12:38 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that a visit to the doctor can result in debilitating financial burdens.
I would rather owe a fortune than be pushing up grass and feeding worms

Old 09-09-2018, 01:09 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

But we're back to the same problem again....what exactly is a "potential" emergency? How nondescript and vague someone's symptoms are depends on how well they understand their own body, what they know about basic human health/biology, and how well they write. Many people go through their lives not worrying much about anything. They are not visiting health forums, they are living for good or bad. Then there are those who are so obsessed by their health that they have blotted everything else from their lives, lurk on forums all their waking hours, living in fear, expecting the worst from themselves and every aspect of the healthcare universe. One person's looming heart attack is someone else's muscle cramp or gas. Some of the OPs people present make me wonder if they are even aware they are a independently mobile organism instead of a plant.

Old 09-09-2018, 06:43 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

Some people turn everything into an emergency. Oh, you're constipated? Go get a colonoscopy ASAP! Like NOW. What are you waiting for?????

I don't think people start threads for a diagnosis. I think in most cases they are asking questions to rule out simple, common causes for their symptoms before going to a doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness