Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 07:16 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,099 times

Advertisements

Hospitals are the worlds most dangerous real estate. I hung out with an MD for years. After hearing a lot and seeing a lot, I don't do hospitals unless death is imminent.

People should take care of themselves instead of depending on a doctor. Doctors are under pressure to prescribe petrochemicals/pills.

I hike 10 hours/week and watch what I eat. Works a lot better than running to the doctor and trying to get the doctor to lose that 70 pounds of cookies and cake.

Our medical costs are drowning us while longevity decreases lately.

Doctors are rarely miracle workers. Their own stats are quite worrisome as a rule. Often very materialistic and short lived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 08:37 PM

765 posts, read 473,811 times
I've spoken up about it, it always boggles my mind people want advice from us , plus i've even posted a website that people can go to for $35 for a consultation online with a real doctor....but what i find far worse is the shaming that often accompanies people who come here to discuss their problems. It's kind of heartbreaking really. So many are so vulnerable, hurting, confused. Ok, sometimes you guys know some of these people over the course of years and they are still having the same problem, but why not just NOT comment and move on to something else here, it's not like there aren't hundreds of other topics....but the shaming that goes on isn't productive at all either. If i see a thread started by specifically one person who tends to whine endlessly about how she is being mistreated, i just move on. It's too sad.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:42 AM

119 posts, read 90,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Doctors are rarely miracle workers. Their own stats are quite worrisome as a rule.
Most of us don't profess to work miracles. And, please share the "stats" to which you refer.

Old 09-20-2018, 04:53 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
In just the past few weeks we had chest pain, seizures, stomach pain, possible pregnancy and who knows what I forgot!

If you seek emergency help, THIS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR YOU TO LOOK!

GO to YOUR DOCTOR OR HOSPITAL! If really bad, CALL 911!!!!!!

There is NOTHING that anyone here can do to help you. Even if we are professionals, we cannot look at a computer screen and wee what the Hell is wrong with you
I know, I know. It amazes me, too, but I’ve come to the realization that people are responsible for themselves. We can’t hold their hand. If the outcome is bad, they made a mistake in judgment by relying on the Internet. So be it.

It’s not that I don’t care, it’s that there’s only so much anyone can do to overcome stubborn attitudes.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:43 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
To answer just the question in the title --

The reason I will very occasionally do this for MINOR symptoms or problems is because I don't want to shell out hundreds of dollars for something that is almost certainly no big deal. Yes, I do Google WebMD or Google the question I have, but most of the websites don't offer any personal advice. Sometimes a person who is the same age and general health as I am will say, "I had the same experience, I saw a doctor, and you need to see one, too", "this home remedy is what worked for me", or "getting older sucks, doesn't it?" -- all of which could be helpful, even though it is non-specific and non-professional advice.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:36 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,238,298 times
Most doctors I go to don’t help me anyway

Old 02-19-2021, 04:49 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Saves money honey.

Old 02-20-2021, 08:59 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Many times you CAN get very good ideas about what is ailing you from the internet. But, as a final point of diagnosis, get the testing and medical attention from a professional.

Old 02-20-2021, 09:33 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,406,327 times
Ha! I would ask the opposite. I would ask .... why on earth would someone in a health forum tell someone to go to a doctor and not offer advice? Because, you know, 99.999% of the population knows that they could go to a doctor or an ER if they have a medical problem. So, if you tell them to go to the doctor, you are telling them nothing they do not already know.

Here are just a few possible reasons why people ask questions on a forum instead of just going to the doctor or the ER.

1. They are poor/broke/do not have insurance and cannot afford to waste money on unnecessary medical bills.

2. They have been to doctors already for myriad issues and have not gotten help (maybe just a bunch of tests/bills but no diagnosis). Maybe if they post on a forum they will find someone who has had a similar experience who can help them.

3. They are honestly not sure if their problem is serious or not. Some serious problems have deceptively mild or painless symptoms (stroke). Sometimes sudden, severe pain is completely innocuous (gas pains).

4. They have already had a gazillion medical visits over the past months and are absolutely and totally sick of seeing the doctor for every last thing.

5. They have other responsibilities. They are taking care of an extremely ill parent at home and don’t have anyone to take over for them immediately.

6. They are at work and are worried about getting fired if they leave in the middle of the day for the ER.

7. They are on vacation and not anywhere near a hospital. Should they make the extraordinary effort to get to an ER (and maybe ruin the family vacation in the process) or are they just being a hypochondriac.

8. Their problem might be extremely embarrassing for some reason and are wondering if they can keep it off their medical record.

9. The are exaggerating their problem to get some attention on-line.

10. They are 99% sure that it is nothing serious, but would like a little advice anyway.

11. They know their body. They have had this problem before and are pretty sure they can ride it out at home. They just want to post about it.

Also, I think sometimes some people online just to basically yell “Fire!” and boss people around. It’s really much easier to post: “Go to the ER ASAP. What are you thinking?!?” than to actually go to the ER.

Also, fear-momgering. A couple of weeks ago I discovered that I had lost some vision in one eye and was concerned. The first thing I did was call my optometrist’s emergency line and was told that it was most likely an urgent, but not emergent situation and was given the first available appointment on Monday morning. Then, I posted about my experience (Facebook, not here). Incredibly, more than one person insisted that I get myself to the ER ASAP, even after I had told them I had already spoken to a medical professional telling me to sit tight. “But what if the optometrist was wrong???” “It’s your eyesight!!!” Of course, the optometrist was right. It was not an emergency.

Last edited by Jill_Schramm; 02-20-2021 at 10:06 AM..

Old 02-20-2021, 12:31 PM

10,951 posts, read 3,695,520 times
Why do so many people seek diagnosis on an online forum and no seek professional help?

That is right....and really a weird subject .... Profesional are available for a reason, and they know more than everyone here, now you want to ask other aspects of the health questions, go for it...But as I always tell my old lady . . . . Make a doctors Appmnt and stop asking your friends for medical answers !!!!

For Us to visit our PCP it's FRee...You may not get to see him in a quick and fast appointment, but he will sure know you were there and follow up later !!!

Last edited by Huasho; 02-20-2021 at 12:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness