Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 11:33 AM

1,183 posts, read 708,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
"People" don't develop resistance to antibiotics...

Bacteria develop resistance to antibiotics.....

Also the idea that cranberry juice will cure a UTI is a myth, there is no real data to support this old wive's tale.

https://uamshealth.com/healthlibrary...juicecureauti/

That would be a good one - whose been using antibiotics to clear up pesky humans infesting places? They'd have to be breeding pretty darn quick to evolve resistance too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 12:17 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
When I was younger, like childhood through teens, I used to get UTIs fairly frequently. I kind of think it's because of 2 reasons.

In school, you were only allowed to go to the bathroom between classes, unless you thought it was an emergency. And then, it seemed like there wasn't time to go between classes...so I pretty much held it in all day.

AND because I held it in all day, I'd try to not drink too much liquid during the day till I got home.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:42 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Never have had a UTI. I'm almost 40.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:50 PM

438 posts, read 376,611 times
I remember my roommate in college had a running bet that I would get a UTI before I graduated. She was a nursing student and said my habits would lead to me eventually getting one when she found out I've never had an UTI in my life.

For reference, I never drink water (haven't been able to keep a cup of plain water down since I was a toddler), I only go to the bathroom twice a day (when I first wake up and before I go to bed), and I'm a bubble bath girl to the max! Between all that and UTIs being extremely popular in my family she figured it would only be a matter of time until I would get one.

She ended up losing that bet and to date says I'm a mystery. I'm only in my late 20s so I'm sure there's plenty of time for it to be jinxed but sometime people are just lucky until they're not I guess.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:56 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicfamly5 View Post
I remember my roommate in college had a running bet that I would get a UTI before I graduated. She was a nursing student and said my habits would lead to me eventually getting one when she found out I've never had an UTI in my life.

For reference, I never drink water (haven't been able to keep a cup of plain water down since I was a toddler), I only go to the bathroom twice a day (when I first wake up and before I go to bed), and I'm a bubble bath girl to the max! Between all that and UTIs being extremely popular in my family she figured it would only be a matter of time until I would get one.

She ended up losing that bet and to date says I'm a mystery. I'm only in my late 20s so I'm sure there's plenty of time for it to be jinxed but sometime people are just lucky until they're not I guess.
I probably didn't have an UTI until my 40's or so and probably had 3 in my life and I'm 80. I'd sure give that no water drinking a good look into, your kidneys will be screaming.

Oh and talking to my good friend today, and she is 74, says she never had one.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-21-2018 at 03:16 PM..

Old 09-21-2018, 03:03 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
I apologize for using the wrong terminology. All I know is the doctor will sometimes give me a prescription (or one for my kid) and recommend not filling it for a couple days to avoid whatever it is that develops a resistance.

And cranberry juice may not 'cure' a UTI, but it certainly clears out my system. My UTIs must then heal themselves....
No apology needed it is a common misconception about antibiotic resistance....

I still don't understand the part about "not filling a prescription for an antibiotic for a couple of days to avoid whatever it is that develops a resistance"?

Do you mean to see if the possible UTI clears on it's own first?? That would make sense...

As for the cranberry juice, there is evidence that cranberry juice can help with the symptoms of a UTI and maybe even help prevent recurrence.....little to no evidence that it does anything for an active infection

You are correct that UTI's can clear themselves about 1/3 to 1/2 will clear without medication which has helped give rise to the thought that cranberry juice and other "home remedies" have "cured the infection"

Old 09-21-2018, 03:09 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Cranberry is used in SO MANY products for UTI issues. Can everyone else be wrong?

Many old wive tale remedies have done me and my family good.
Of course "everyone else can be wrong".....particularly those with a vested interest in SELLING cranberry products...as an alternative treatment there is no necessity in proving it works...

No different than nonsense like Homeopathy which has ZERO chance of working the way people think it works yet many people buy into this nonsense.....Placebo effect is strong....

Old 09-21-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Of course "everyone else can be wrong".....particularly those with a vested interest in SELLING cranberry products...as an alternative treatment there is no necessity in proving it works...

No different than nonsense like Homeopathy which has ZERO chance of working the way people think it works yet many people buy into this nonsense.....Placebo effect is strong....
Oh and pharma has no vested interest!!!!! Wonder how many billions$$$ have been made on cranberries.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-21-2018 at 04:31 PM..

Old 09-21-2018, 04:34 PM

Maybe some of the medical people can give me a MAIN reason why so many older people get UTI's..I'm thinking of my 90+ yr old neighbor. One can find a variety of reasons why, but is there a MAIN one?

-__________________________________________________ _________________

Ah, here is what LifeExtension gives WHY.

https://www.lifeextension.com/Protoc...ection/Page-03

Reading this one category is the Low Estrogen Levels after menopause and since I've been taking DHEA for so long, wonder if this is WHY I don't get UTI's....thinking...ummmm

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-21-2018 at 04:42 PM..

Old 09-21-2018, 04:51 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
I've had one in my whole life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness