Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 04:26 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times

Advertisements

Tough to do with ERs, though, when people aren't in any position to quibble or comparison shop.

Limit Hospitals' Pricing Power
By Glenn Melnick

There are many reasons Americans pay more for health care than citizens of any other country. But one of the most powerful forces driving cost increases is buried in a little-known set of regulations concerning emergency room care. These regulations have granted hospitals what is essentially a monopoly over emergency room patients, allowing them to charge basically whatever they want.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/05/o...insurance.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 10:31 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Tough to do with ERs, though, when people aren't in any position to quibble or comparison shop.

Limit Hospitals' Pricing Power
By Glenn Melnick

There are many reasons Americans pay more for health care than citizens of any other country. But one of the most powerful forces driving cost increases is buried in a little-known set of regulations concerning emergency room care. These regulations have granted hospitals what is essentially a monopoly over emergency room patients, allowing them to charge basically whatever they want.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/05/o...insurance.html
ER costs are out of control. We have used to ER 3 times last year. Both my daughters went, one for a possible broken foot, the other for uncontrollable vomiting, (horrible case of norovirus), and myself. Each time it has cost us about $1000 or more. This is with a PPO that we pay a small fortune for. It was not that long ago, maybe 3 years, that a visit to the ER cost about $500. Same insurance.

We have to pay a copay of $300 at the arrival. Then we get billed by the hospital again, then a separate bill for the ER doc, then another bill for the lab work.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:17 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
I'm on the warpath because we got a bill for $100 or $120 for a $5 dollar sling.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-24-2018, 12:07 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
When you have a healthcare system that puts profit before actual healthcare the sky is the limit as to what the infrastructure can charge the patients. $50 for an aspirin or Kleenex ? outragious costs will continue until enough people vote for change.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
When you have a healthcare system that puts profit before actual healthcare the sky is the limit as to what the infrastructure can charge the patients. $50 for an aspirin or Kleenex ? outragious costs will continue until enough people vote for change.
We have a great opportunity this November to get rid of a big part of the problem.

Old 09-27-2018, 03:47 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,905,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
We have a great opportunity this November to get rid of a big part of the problem.
How is that? Both Dems and Repubs have been in charge for as long as I have been alive, neither party has done anything to help control healthcare costs.

Old 09-27-2018, 05:29 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
How is that? Both Dems and Repubs have been in charge for as long as I have been alive, neither party has done anything to help control healthcare costs.
Obama with the best of intentions tried to institute an affordable healthcare system for all but Republicans did everything they could to shut it down before it even had a chance. https://www.google.ca/search?source=....0.XLIP-xiQKMc

Old 09-30-2018, 09:15 PM

1,129 posts, read 470,406 times
I’ve just been reading an interesting debate on C-D about the US economy growing with many people commenting how their live have not improved and how many lives are been pretty much broken by the sorry state of health care in the US, with many supposedly middle class people becoming bankrupt or close to it after a few health issues as they are ageing and the subsequent bills they have had to pay despite them having insurance often paying $700 per month and then having to pay thousands of dollars for anything they need on top.

I really struggle with the whole healcare thing in the US and can’t believe that’s it’s not a higher priority.

I’ve just done a little research online

These actually downplays the differences https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-42950587
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...lly/2016-11-01

But still the US government are paying into obamacare and the like to the tune of double that of Europe per gdp for their healthcare but this covers only a small percentage of the US population on a very basic level.

Based on what is being paid in, every American should be fully covered by this contribution with totally no need for any insurance or extra contribution whatsoever for any treatment when needed by any US citizens.

In the words of Trump, it’s a massive con job.

Last edited by britinspain; 09-30-2018 at 09:25 PM..

Old 10-01-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
The Republicans are decimating the ACA, which not ideal, far from it, but still a move in the right direction. I agree both parties are responsible for allowing insurance companies run the show. But one party will help and the other party will make it worse. Choose wisely.

Old 10-01-2018, 01:18 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
Pricing is ridiculous. Hubby recently had a hospital stay. The bill was over $200,000.00. The amount paid by medicare and supplemental insurances came to just over $4000. We owe nothing. There is something wrong when they can CHARGE that much and accept so little!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness