Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 03:30 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,032,635 times

Advertisements

So I moved earlier this year. Finally got around to getting a new pcp. I saw her last month, gave her my details. She prescribed some meds I'd been out of for 6 months, including adderall (once she got the records from my old dr). She checked my breasts, stomach, ears, throat, ordered a ton of blood work and sent me for a mammogram and a thyroid ultrasound to see if a nodule I knew about had grown. (which I got done).

She told me to come back in a month for a physical. That was today. In the interim weeks, I got the results of the blood work and ultrasound so we didn't have to discuss that. The "physical" consisted of her checking my ears, throat and stomach. That was IT! I asked if that was it, it was. Eta obviously, the nurse also did my vitals.

I was shocked bc when I'd get physicals from my old dr, she would feel my lymph nodes, check my spine, do some range of motion stuff, check my skin, legs and feet, do the thing where they tap the knee and this thing where they push your skin in near your ankle to see how fast it comes back bc it's an indication of heart disease (iirc), plus lots more stuff.

I'm really confused about whether what I got today is normal and what I used to get was top tier? Overall, I like the dr but when I asked if this was it, she wasn't really trying to do more. Part of me is very upset but part of me is unsure if I have too high of expectations. And if I'm being honest, the fact that she didn't give me any trouble with my adderall prescription makes it harder to just dump her bc I know tons of horror stories about people who move and can't get meds despite having diagnosis, no sketchy behavior and years long records of being prescribed. Otherwise, I probably would dump her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 03:43 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,908,161 times
Same exact thing happened to me...

I had to ASK for a physical and then it just included a few minor checks.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:19 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,426,236 times
Uhmmmm...many doctors don't actually like to touch you any more - if they can get the info from a lab test they'd rather do that.

Then again, there are changes over time in what tests are deemed useful versus not so useful - some of that could have changed. Some things have been done for years just out of habit that are not really very diagnostic.

WebMD says:
Do You Even Need An Annual Physical Exam?
The annual physical exam is beloved by many people and their doctors. But studies show that the actual exam isn't very helpful in discovering problems and may lead to unnecessary tests.

Leading doctors and medical groups have called the annual physical exam "not necessary" in generally healthy people.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:15 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,007,670 times
There are different kinds of physicals.

Also, some insurance covers only a brief exam. It’s really hard to say for any particular individual whether you got a “complete” physical or not.

We get detailed and comprehensive physicals from our PCP but we have excellent employer-provided insurance that covers most of the cost.

Old 09-26-2018, 04:44 AM

669 posts, read 584,873 times
Your blood work reveals a lot about overall health. What exactly did you want the doctor to do? Did you ASK them about your exam?

Old 09-26-2018, 10:37 AM

37,506 posts, read 61,537,745 times
I think that if you were having range-of-motion problems, then you would have mentioned it and your PCP would have looked at that. Since you did not mention any problems, it is assumed that you are fine.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:39 AM

45,552 posts, read 60,795,283 times
It sounds like your first visit was really "the" physical while the second was a follow up.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:52 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,210,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It sounds like your first visit was really "the" physical while the second was a follow up.
That what I was thinking.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:56 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,930,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
So I moved earlier this year. Finally got around to getting a new pcp. I saw her last month, gave her my details. She prescribed some meds I'd been out of for 6 months, including adderall (once she got the records from my old dr). She checked my breasts, stomach, ears, throat, ordered a ton of blood work and sent me for a mammogram and a thyroid ultrasound to see if a nodule I knew about had grown. (which I got done).

She told me to come back in a month for a physical. That was today. In the interim weeks, I got the results of the blood work and ultrasound so we didn't have to discuss that. The "physical" consisted of her checking my ears, throat and stomach. That was IT! I asked if that was it, it was. Eta obviously, the nurse also did my vitals.

I was shocked bc when I'd get physicals from my old dr, she would feel my lymph nodes, check my spine, do some range of motion stuff, check my skin, legs and feet, do the thing where they tap the knee and this thing where they push your skin in near your ankle to see how fast it comes back bc it's an indication of heart disease (iirc), plus lots more stuff.

I'm really confused about whether what I got today is normal and what I used to get was top tier? Overall, I like the dr but when I asked if this was it, she wasn't really trying to do more. Part of me is very upset but part of me is unsure if I have too high of expectations. And if I'm being honest, the fact that she didn't give me any trouble with my adderall prescription makes it harder to just dump her bc I know tons of horror stories about people who move and can't get meds despite having diagnosis, no sketchy behavior and years long records of being prescribed. Otherwise, I probably would dump her.
I get the same impressions-

I hadn't been to a PCP in awhile, so I finally started to see who my wife saw, and went in for a physical. It had been awhile, so I was ready for the whole 100% body inspection (strip down, feel here, cough there, bend over, etc). Turns out- I didn't even take my shoes off.

It seems like its all done by tests and bloodwork now...... so be it.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:49 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,806,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post

Time wise, she made $$$ Plus she consulted the notes from your other doctor. Maybe she didn't see the need for a full physical...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness