Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 07:51 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
vrexy.

I wrote 7 paragraphs, and you pick out one line . My opinion is that daily cleaning of the equipment equals effective therapy. YMMV.
Didn't mean to offend you. And yes, I picked out that one line, because it was the only one I disagreed with. Why would I pick on the other points you made?

The OP is already having trouble adjusting to the therapy, so making him/her feel like they have to clean the equipment on a daily basis, only adds more insult to injury. The manufacturers recommend weekly cleaning. Why go overboard and do it on a daily basis? Yes, my mileage and that of others, does vary. Once a week should be good enough to keep it clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 02:41 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,564,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
Lets remember folks.........When you stop breathing, during a sleep apnea incident.......your heart, brain and lungs are all starving for oxygen. Multiply that by as many as 20 episodes an HOUR, and you are flirting with death. CPAP machines are the answer, but the poor follow up by prescribing MD's after you get one is quite shabby, to say the least.

I compare it to getting custom made shoes, but the shoemaker doesn't have you come back for a fit check. The same thing for a CPAP machine.... you need to be custom fitted, not handed a "off the shelf model " that may not be right for you.

The usual complaint from apnea patients is about face mask seal.

No body seems to understand that the pre sleep period ( 2 hours before you actually get into bed ) is VERY important. Shut off the TV, computer, and radio. Take a warm shower. Drink some water and put a glass of water on the bedside table. No reading in bed. A dark room, with no distractions.

WASH your equipment ( hose, mask, and head strap ) daily. Use ONLY distilled water in your humidifier, and change filters per the manufacturer's instructions. If you are not asleep after 30 minutes, get up and walk around for a few minutes, then go back to bed. Don't have a clock positioned where you can see it from your bed. That's a guaranteed way to stay awake.

My apnea history goes back about 15 years ago. I used to have the same dream all most every night......I imagined that I was driving into the back of a dump truck, and BANG I would wake up drenched in sweat, and with my heart racing. It was me waking up after not breathing for over 2 minutes. I learned that after my first sleep study. A CPAP machine in those days was not nearly as sophisticated as the ones today, but I was a lot happier when I got mine in 2001. Today I sleep very well, and get up fresh and ready to get on with my day.

Undiagnosed sleep apnea sufferers wake up tired, are grumpy and feel like crap all day. They may be overweight, smoke, and drink too much. The sleep test is the medical method to asses and treat this life threatening condition.

Keep trying. The reward is well worth the effort.
I started on a new state of the art CPAP machine not long ago after two sleep studies. I used mine for a nap this afternoon and recorded 69 events per hour while napping. I've got a very good concerned sleep study doc and also in touch with the factory rep for the equipment. Monday is another meeting for working out problems. Recently I only had about 10 events per hour average and events have been steadily rising. Sleep apnea has turned into day apnea as well. I stop breathing thinking about things and come to gasping for air. Something has to change. I'm ready to volunteer for a med school test subject.

Old 12-08-2018, 05:28 PM

171 posts, read 141,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Golden Rule View Post
If your apnea episodes are severe enough for a doctor to prescribe the use of CPAP, then yes, it could be dangerous not to use the machine. If you had an infection and were prescribed an antibiotic, it might cause your infection to turn septic if you didn't take the antibiotics. If you don't believe me, look up Reggie White, a former NFL player whose death at age 43 was attributed to heart problems exacerbated by sleep apnea.

I don't know what configuration your CPAP/mask is, but there are many options nowadays. I've been on CPAP for 15 years and things have come a long way. My current machine has heated tubing that keeps my nose from drying out and the temperature comfortable. I gave up the full face mask and now use a modified nasal pillow that has one hole that fits under my nose. It's much less obtrusive and I don't have any issues.

It took me about 6 weeks to get fully accustomed to wearing the mask but now it's second nature and I cannot sleep well without it. Hang in there. It will get easier and you may find your daytime energy and alertness improve too. Good luck!

key word here : exacerbated, he already had a heart condition, many people do from birth and don't know it, yes sleep apean will make it worse, but if everything is healthy with your heart, you have to get checked, xray, ekg, blood work and sleep apnea is not too severe, nothing bad will happen except you feeling like crap during the day, either way, only way to know is a sleep study and then the CPAP if needed

Old 12-09-2018, 09:48 PM

492 posts, read 405,614 times
Default Ramp, A-Flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by House4kids View Post
Has anyone other than fought the use of the Cpap machine? I tried multiple masks, found one ok, but finding myself pulling it off sometime in my sleep. When I am alone I don't use it much. Is that dangerous?
Does your CPAP machine have a "ramp" feature? It allows you to fall asleep at a lower pressure, and then automatically increases the pressure after a pre-determined number of minutes. It makes falling asleep much easier.

I couldn't tolerate the "A-flex" setting. I've been much more comfortable since the Dr. disabled it. I have the same mask alluded to earlier, with the one hole under my nose. It's not perfect (I tug at the headstraps frequently), but it is the best I have found.

I don't like using the CPAP machine, but when I consider the increased probability of suffering strokes without it, I give in to it.

Good luck.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:12 AM

5,535 posts, read 7,106,205 times
After a bad experience a few years ago with an incompetent sleeping center, I've been trying two 'accessories' that have helped a LOT:

1. Nasal Dilators: Around $11, pack of eight. Indispensable for me now.

2. The Side-Sleeping Backpack:

WHAT??

Around $45. It's an inflatable 'pillow' that discourages sleeping on your back..... where almost all of my apnea problems occur, I think.

It looks and feels silly but I've been using it for only a week and my sleep quality is already quite noticeably improved.

I'll update on this later.

-----------------------------------------

NOT recommended is the SnoreRX Mouthguard, an oral insert that pushes your jaw forward to prevent snoring. I couldn't chew my breakfast properly the following mornings!

Old 12-30-2018, 10:44 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
My husband is going for a sleep study this evening to see if he has sleep apnea. I think he does but we are not sure how severe it is and if it warrants a Cpap machine. Is it uncomfortable to sleep with? Is it loud?

Old 12-31-2018, 02:31 PM

526 posts, read 900,613 times
Different people have different experiences with CPAP machines, but I found that after I got used to mine (took a few weeks) it wasn't the slightest bit uncomfortable. I've used it for almost 10 years now and can't sleep without it!

I've had two different CPAP machines. Neither one of them made any noise at all unless I took the mask off while the machine was still on. Then they make a whooshing noise. But with the mask on, they make virtually no noise at all.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:38 AM

6 posts, read 3,759 times
CPAP is effective in the treatment of Sleep Apnea. This disorder is due to partial blockage of upper airways that causes snoring and interrupted breath during sleep. Irregular sleep can also increase stress levels.

CPAP (Continuous positive airway pressure) is effective in treating apnea. Regular cleaning of the equipment is necessary to avoid dirt and dust. Helpful during nasal congestion and cold.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:38 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,627,074 times
I dug up my old records from seven years ago and the result from a sleep study showed 12 events per hour which is on the mild range.

I got a CPAP machine then and used it off and on, but haven't used it for quite a few years. I just find it uncomfortable and keep removing it.

I tried other things like mouth guard, sleeping on my side, even this chin strap that's supposed to keep your mouth shut to prevent mouth breathing. All ineffective for me.

I had a bad stretch of being utterly exhausted this past week, was affecting me badly at work. So dug up the machine from storage and tried it out, helped immediately in getting better sleep and feeling more refreshed during the day. So back to CPAP it is.

Old 04-23-2019, 08:37 PM

23 posts, read 15,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by House4kids View Post
I was just diagnosed last spring and I have the same type of machine and nasal pillow mask that you have. I will work harder on using it.
By all means, use it nightly. Many people do report feeling less tired during the day and feeling more focused mentally. Have you noticed this at all when you do use the mask the entire night?

In regards to the nasal pillow mask, I know that most people tend to be mouth breathers while sleeping. While the nasal mask maybe much more comfortable, I'm just curious to know how effective it is at delivering oxygen in comparison to the regular mask that covers the mouth. I always thought it would make sense if a follow-up sleep study was done using the equipment that the patient uses at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness