Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 05:55 AM

808 posts, read 542,227 times

Advertisements

I'm 70 years old, so I expect my vision to be changing, but this seems a bit much.

I got new computer glasses about three months ago.

I don't know if the optomitrist gave me the wrong prescription, or if my eyes have suddenly gone katywampus. Sometimes I can see quite well with my glasses sitting on my nose normally. Other times I have to hold my glasses two inches away from from my eyes to see the text on the screen clearly. This makes it really difficult to type, since I use both hands to type. So I squint. I've never had to squnit before.

I would assume my optometrist gave me the wrong prescription, but it seem slike my eyes change every day. But not during the day. How my eyes are when I first get on the computer will be the same all day, but may be different from the day before or after.

I hate to spend the money to get another set of glasses that won't work, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 08:46 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
I’ve worn bifocals many years and when I get new ones and the optometrist say “you will get used to them “ I know the prescription is wrong.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:50 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
OP: I've worn eye glasses since about 21 and I'm 80. One eye is lazy and I've had prescriptions worked for that eye. I wear reading and distance glasses but overall I can see very well. I take eye support supplements for eye health for years and have to believe this has helped me a lot. Primarily antioxidants for eye health. If you want to know more DM me and I'll let you know what has worked for my eyes.

I'm on a computer some but not all day as I don't work anymore. Totally retired.

My eyes I believe are so good for my age, I don't go for eye exams for the last 8 yrs or so.

Hard to say if you were given the incorrect script.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:23 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
OP got to Walgreens, CVS, or Target and check the displays that carry the readers and try the various corrections there to find the comfortable one that you can see clearly. They cost about $12-20 dollars and they have a complete range from. 1.50 correction to 5.0 correction. That would be the same as the eye doctor would be same as the doctor would prescribe. I got 2.50 and they work perfect, my wife got a pair of 2.75 that worked for her. At one of those stores you can take your time until you're comfortable. At a Target if they have an optical dept they will help you at no charge.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:02 PM

808 posts, read 542,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
OP got to Walgreens, CVS, or Target and check the displays that carry the readers and try the various corrections there to find the comfortable one that you can see clearly.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:30 PM

7,261 posts, read 5,139,849 times
Irregularly variable vision problems may be due to varying blood sugar levels, or with variable tear production or tear duct problems. Check for DM, for early "dry-eye syndrome" or allergy/sinus problems. Can we assume you've been tested for glaucoma?

Of course, the timing with your new prescription is suspicious also and deserves checking.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:46 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
On a side note, you can enlarge the size of the text on your computer screen. You should see a percentage number in thebottom right of your screen.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:30 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,549 times
Readers and "computer glasses" are not the same things.

Did the optometrist test your eyes or did you see an ophthalmologist who wrote a script and then the optometrist made the lenses?

I suggest the OP call the optometrist and ask about it.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:13 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
"I hate to spend the money to get another set of glasses that won't work, either."

try Zennioptical.com or Goggles4u.com
(i don't own stock in either company)

story:
my prescription changes every year.
it really does. i'm an amateur astronomer and i notice little things others might not.
i have found that the 2 online glasses makers do a fantastic job for REALLY cheap.
my last pair was $13 including shipping. single vision, cheapest frames, anti-glare.
of course, progressives and "high style" frames cost more.
worst case scenario: this doesn't work for you. it only cost $13 to find out.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:36 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretBartle View Post
...I don't know if...my eyes have suddenly gone katywampus. Sometimes I can see quite well with my glasses sitting on my nose normally. Other times I have to hold my glasses two inches away from from my eyes to see the text on the screen clearly. This makes it really difficult to type, since I use both hands to type. So I squint. I've never had to squnit before.

I would assume my optometrist gave me the wrong prescription, but it seem slike my eyes change every day. But not during the day. How my eyes are when I first get on the computer will be the same all day, but may be different from the day before or after.

I hate to spend the money to get another set of glasses that won't work, either.
You are not alone, and you probably did not get the 'wrong' prescription. My eyes suddenly started changing a few years ago, and I ended up with three different scripts- trifocals. That wasn't working for me so I went to bifocals for some uses and single-vision lenses for other uses, including distance and computer work.

I also notice the issue you describe, with variations from day to day. It's annoying but there seems to be little to be done about it except tolerate it. Forget about people jammin' unproven supplements down your throat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness