Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 05:31 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Thankfully, I am way past the age for this, and still alive. My last Pap Test was in 1983 before I had my children.

Umm, I am not getting into my youth of Sex, Drugs, and Rock N Roll. Pure LUCK that I have managed to live into Old Age without ever increasing vaccines. Superhuman me as one of our medical professional posters likes to say. Sorry, I do not think I am ALONE in this.

I don't know if my daughters will get this vaccine. Both are married, and one to another woman. Ok. medical professionals tell me how married Lesbians are at risk of this? Maybe my now pregnant DIL will catch HPV from her IVF Donor?

The only way that married couples would be at risk would be if one or both was cheating, or if one partner gave it to the other at the onset of their sexual relationship. That’s another risk factor that varies among adults and one that people can take into consideration.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:37 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Because the tetanus bacillus is a resident in horses intestines. They get a tetanus vaccine too.
So you only believe in the efficacy of vaccines that affect you directly, but not in the efficacy of vaccines that affect other people?

Old 10-10-2018, 08:47 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
What negative reviews? Internet anecdotes do not count.
The many stories of side effects from the drug, granted they are anecdotes. However it is truly causing many people to rethink getting it for this child. I would say 30% of my friend’s have chosen not to get it because of them.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:32 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
No, about 90% of people do not test positive for HPV. It's estimated that at least 80% of women and 90% of men will have an HPV infection at some point in their lives. Most do resolve, but. . .

There are about 13,000 new cases of cervical cancer diagnosed annually. That is not "very, very few". There are about 4000 deaths from cervical cancer every year. These are not small figures, and they're only for one kind of HPV caused cancer.

HPV is becoming the most common cause of head and neck cancer. About 18,000 cases of HPV caused oral cancers are diagnosed every year in the US. Together, that adds up to over 30,000 cases of HPV caused cancer diagnosed EVERY YEAR for just those two types of cancer. HPV also causes vulvar, penile, and anal cancers.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cervic...tatistics.html
https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/hpv/statistics/headneck.htm
Yep. I'm getting it at my next doctor appointment I think. One less worry for me.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
The many stories of side effects from the drug, granted they are anecdotes. However it is truly causing many people to rethink getting it for this child. I would say 30% of my friend’s have chosen not to get it because of them.
I hope you don't let those friends' opinions sway you.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:30 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
About 90% of all people test positive for HPV.

Very very very few people get cancer.

Know the facts before making a decision.
According to the CDC, itself, "most sexually-active people will have HPV at some point in their lives, but few women will get cervical cancer." That doesn't sound anecdotal to me.

The fact is that 85% of cases of cervical cancer occur in developing countries. Yet this vaccine was tested on Americans. And make no mistake, it was a test. A risk factor for HPV is "multiple sexual partners," which might lead some to think "two." But I don't think so, since that risk factor used to be "many sexual partners," not surprising, then, that this would be a scourge for women in developing countries, where girls are more likely to be sexually active at a very young age, and acquire many sexual partners throughout their lives.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
According to the CDC, itself, "most sexually-active people will have HPV at some point in their lives, but few women will get cervical cancer." That doesn't sound anecdotal to me.

The fact is that 85% of cases of cervical cancer occur in developing countries. Yet this vaccine was tested on Americans. And make no mistake, it was a test. A risk factor for HPV is "multiple sexual partners," which might lead some to think "two." But I don't think so, since that risk factor used to be "many sexual partners," not surprising, then, that this would be a scourge for women in developing countries, where girls are more likely to be sexually active at a very young age, and acquire many sexual partners throughout their lives.
No. Gardasil was tested in 33 countries.
How was the HPV vaccine tested?

How,I don't know, condescending. I can assure you, in the US adult dating scene, sex is part of it early on in relationships. There is evidence too that many young women get infected at their first encounter, which in the US is at a median age of 17. Those that don't get married young may have several (3+) partners before their marriage, which age is increasing. (29.2 for men and 27.1 for women) That is ten years for women to have relationships and 12 years for men.

Cervical cancer rates were much higher in the US prior to routine cervical cancer screening, which started in the 1950s.
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...ncer-screening
"Early 1900s — Cervical cancer is the No. 1 cancer killer of women in the U.S."

Perhaps you could produce some documentation of the risk factor formerly being many sex partners. What I remember from nursing school in 1969 was "early initiation of sex" and "multiple partners", factors that seem to go together. OTOH, the sexual revolution was just getting started in 1969; before that, many girls waited until marriage or at least engagement to have sex, pushing the age at first sex up to the very late teens/early 20s.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:21 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
People can look into adverse reactions themselves. It’s not a vaccine without controversy though and Japan and Denmark for instance have exercised more caution due to adverse events associated with it. Keep in mind this conversation is also about the HPV vaccine now being available to adults, it’s not about kids. The HPV vaccine has been available to kids and teens for quite some time/.

The conversation is about how the HPV vaccine is available to adults now. I mentioned other risk factors involved in HPV associated cancers. If adults feel they are at risk and would like to get the vaccine, they can now do.

The information I shared regarding the importance of paps is documented and well known as are the cofactors such as smoking, alcohol, birth control etc. I’m not going to argue about it.

I disagree that anyone “should be 100% in favor” of this vaccine or any drug or medication or medical procedure. That’s over the top.
None of those "cofactors" mean anything if there is no HPV infection. Prevent the HPV infection and you do not get an HPV associated cancer.

The HPV vaccine is part of the childhood schedule in Denmark.

Japan has generated an interesting experiment. They now have girls from some birth years who were vaccinated and some from later birth years who were not. It will be interesting to see what the cervical cancer rates are in the two groups.

Opposition to the vaccine in Japan was not driven by scientific evidence but public opinion. Japanese OBGYN doctors want the vaccine to be recommended again.

Declaration

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...-riko-muranaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Why would you want to accept anecdotes with no supporting evidence as the foundation for any medical decision?

The expanded age range will hopefully make it easier for more people in the US to get protected.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:26 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

The vaccine has been tested around the world, not just in Americans. It is highly effective and very safe.

You are very naive if you do not think Americans have many sexual partners.

https://www.rebelcircus.com/blog/man...son-slept-age/

Old 10-11-2018, 05:07 AM

3,082 posts, read 1,545,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
So you only believe in the efficacy of vaccines that affect you directly, but not in the efficacy of vaccines that affect other people?
People are free to do whatever they think is in their best interest. If they want to be a pincushion for the drug co thats their business, not mine. There is no treatment for tetanus in horses. Its called death. Humans dont do very well either. And since Im exposed to the bacillus every single day, I choose to vaccinate against tetanus. You do what you think is best for you. No skin off my nose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness