Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you have your daughter vaccinated for HPV?
Yes 18 66.67%
No 9 33.33%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 12:52 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,370,655 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering how many parents will get their daughters vaccinated with the Gardasil vaccine for HPV. HPV is the cause for 70-90% of cervical cancer. HPV is extreamly contagious. You don't have to have intercourse to get HPV. You can get it from any sexual contact involving the genitals (touch yourself then me). PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE inform yourself before commenting so we are all educated on what we are discussing here. I know this is a very touchy subject and it would be easier if everyone is well informed before commenting. Visit Information about GARDASIL ® [Quadrivalent Human Papillomavirus (Types 6, 11, 16, 18) Recombinant Vaccine] for information. Thank you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 01:02 PM

955 posts, read 3,648,230 times
you bet we will!

Old 09-07-2007, 01:08 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times
Yes. When my daughter is old enough for the vaccine *she's only 14 months old...* she will get it. In fact, I've even gotten the vaccine for myself.

Anything that might lower my risk of cervical cancer (which my mom had) is a "blessing" for me.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:30 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
This vaccine not only prevents HPV, but about 15 other viruses. Our kids get any number of immunizations and have no idea what they are for. The idea that it would cause a child to sexually promiscuous is absurd.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:30 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,370,655 times
I'm so happy to hear this! I told my sister and girlfriend who are in the age bracket to get the vaccine.
I know there are a lot of parents that feel it will be giving their daughter "permission" to have sex. I do not feel that way. Even if my daughter is a virgin when she gets married, who knows if her husband will also be a virgin? Also, you don't have to have intercourse to get HPV! You can get it just from touching! I can't have the attitude that my daughter will refrain from everything until she is married. Nobody is perfect. And as I said before, Even if she was "perfect", she could end up getting married to a man that has HPV and doesn't know it. I need to protect my daughter before she has any type of sexual contact.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:34 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
I may not get it for her when she turns 13, or whatever the recommended age is, but I will get it for her before she becomes sexually active. At 35. J/K.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:31 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,381,037 times
nope. I have a niece that I take care of and SHE WILL NOT be getting this vaccine or any other poison at this point.
My son has been vaccine-free since 15mo old. It's a controversial topic but he will not be getting any more vaccines at this point until he is 7. I will then get him Tetanus shot.

HPV vaccination plan should be halted, reviewed: researcher

Old 09-07-2007, 07:10 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
I'm wondering how many parents will get their daughters vaccinated with the Gardasil vaccine for HPV. HPV is the cause for 70-90% of cervical cancer. HPV is extreamly contagious. You don't have to have intercourse to get HPV. You can get it from any sexual contact involving the genitals (touch yourself then me). PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE inform yourself before commenting so we are all educated on what we are discussing here. I know this is a very touchy subject and it would be easier if everyone is well informed before commenting. Visit Information about GARDASIL ® [Quadrivalent Human Papillomavirus (Types 6, 11, 16, 18) Recombinant Vaccine] for information. Thank you all!
check back a few months ago - long thread about this very topic. Oh, and if you're <26 y/o and sexually active, you need it as well! and if you're older, be sure to ask for HPV testing at your next PAP. It is NOT part of the screening.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:57 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,086,493 times
No. But not because I fear the vaccine encourages promiscuity.

Glad to see that more states didn't jump on the mandate wagon.

Will reserve most of my views so as not begin a debate.

Sara

Old 09-07-2007, 11:11 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,467,954 times
I will get it for my daughters if it keeps them from dying from one form of cancer. I would never be able to live with myself if I could have done something to prevent them from getting cervical cancer and I passed on it because I was scared or I was against it for whatever reasons. It's kind of like the mothers who passed up standard innoculations only to have her kid contract meningitis years later (and lose 3 of four limbs) - she could have prevented it... but I guess had to prove a point with her kids life. It's sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting