Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 02:25 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times

Advertisements

I think I read somewhere on CD of someone who had a DNR order, but then was put on a feeding tube and subsequently died shortly thereafter.

It made me think about DNR orders and how they are not followed by first responders and most medical providers.

I managed the care of both of my parents through lots of illnesses, so I saw a lot of stuff.

They both had Advance Directives, which spelled out DNR orders. The hospitals did not even read these orders and I had to insist they put them in the chart.

I was called to a nursing home one time, because a parent had gone into distress and they dialed 911 (even though there was not only a DNR order but a sign I had made put up so everyone could easily see). When I got there, firefighters were in the room reviving my parent.

I figured out that when you dial 911, the first responders WILL RESUSITATE. That is what they do. The danger of resuscitation to a frail, old person, is they can have their ribs and other stuff crushed, and they can end up in a vegetative state or just really in a lot of pain.

On the feeding tube issue, I was thinking of an elderly person who had a stroke, and she was sent home with a feeding tube. Her family cared for her for a year before she died. She would have died immediately, but they (or she, not sure) wanted the feeding tube. She couldn't move this entire time and was unable to talk - it was really, really difficult to take care of her (moving her to change her, etc.). They were on-call 24/7. They didn't seem to have an issue with it, but I personally think it is crazy that people want feeding tubes, and it made me wonder what the genesis of feeding tubes is - who decided that feeding tubes were the way to go and when did the public jump on that bandwagon, and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 03:15 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
On the feeding tube issue, I was thinking of an elderly person who had a stroke, and she was sent home with a feeding tube. Her family cared for her for a year before she died. She would have died immediately, but they (or she, not sure) wanted the feeding tube. She couldn't move this entire time and was unable to talk - it was really, really difficult to take care of her (moving her to change her, etc.). They were on-call 24/7. They didn't seem to have an issue with it, but I personally think it is crazy that people want feeding tubes, and it made me wonder what the genesis of feeding tubes is - who decided that feeding tubes were the way to go and when did the public jump on that bandwagon, and why?
Your personal views do not give you carte blanche to criticize or dismiss anyone else. There are situations where a feeding tube makes sense, particularly if the PATIENT decides they want to be supported in this way. What "public bandwagon" are you talking about? It's just an available option, nothing new. Back in 1978 during the last 9 months of her life my mother used a feeding tube. She was lucid, aware, could communicate even though she had lost voluntary control over her larynx, throat, couldn't swallow or control her diaphragm. Her doctor explained her options and let her make the decision. She wanted to spend as much time with family as possible and the tube would be necessary to carry out her wish. It never occurred to anyone in the family to judge her or override her decision if we didn't agree with it.

If you don't want artificial nutritional support or a feeding tube make that plain in your OWN advanced directive/DPOAHC/POLST. Leave other people's choice to them. BTW, a DNR order is specific to CPR, not nutritional support. If someone has a DNR on file with a medical facility but EMTs respond to a situation OUTSIDE that facility they will not honor it. They do not make that decision. They resuscitate.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-21-2018 at 03:36 PM..

Old 10-22-2018, 10:29 AM

It's an ethical and moral issue.

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.or...440-7/fulltext

Old 10-22-2018, 11:03 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
I think I read somewhere on CD of someone who had a DNR order, but then was put on a feeding tube and subsequently died shortly thereafter.

It made me think about DNR orders and how they are not followed by first responders and most medical providers.

I managed the care of both of my parents through lots of illnesses, so I saw a lot of stuff.

They both had Advance Directives, which spelled out DNR orders. The hospitals did not even read these orders and I had to insist they put them in the chart.

I was called to a nursing home one time, because a parent had gone into distress and they dialed 911 (even though there was not only a DNR order but a sign I had made put up so everyone could easily see). When I got there, firefighters were in the room reviving my parent.

I figured out that when you dial 911, the first responders WILL RESUSITATE. That is what they do. The danger of resuscitation to a frail, old person, is they can have their ribs and other stuff crushed, and they can end up in a vegetative state or just really in a lot of pain.

Feeding tubes have been around for over a hundred years. They're not remotely new.

A DNR is a good thing, but it does not cover feeding tubes nor other end-of-life issues. For that, you need an Advance Directive, on file with your primary physician and included in your hospital admission paperwork. Not to mention that your spouses, siblings, parents, adult children all need copies as well.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:58 AM

I said nothing about feeding tubes being new.

I spoke of an Advance Directive.

I guess you didn't read the OP.

Anyway, the reason I posted was to note that hospitals don't necessarily honor DNRs that are spelled out in Advance Directives - AND - I am curious about people who prefer to have feeding tubes - I was interested in the history, and how this became a default. I personally do not want one.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I said nothing about feeding tubes being new.

I spoke of an Advance Directive.

I guess you didn't read the OP.

Anyway, the reason I posted was to note that hospitals don't necessarily honor DNRs that are spelled out in Advance Directives - AND - I am curious about people who prefer to have feeding tubes - I was interested in the history, and how this became a default. I personally do not want one.
TBH, your post was all over the place, mixing the two issues together. Hospitals do honor advanced directives and DNRs. Anecdotal, but I can bring to mind relatives and one friend who had theirs honored when hospitalized. What happened in your relative's case we can have no idea. You've posted about that in other threads. Maybe you need to find a way to get past it. It's history and nothing will change it. Why does someone's choice for a tube matter to you? Your post gave the impression you think it's wrong. Nobody facing this decision cares what you think and I would hope you would never impose your opinion on them. Who says this "became a default"??? Older versions of so-called "living wills" (replaced by current forms of advanced directives) didn't always spell out the specifics of artificial feeding and hydration, but they do now. That is what POLSTs also state.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Of course it is!! It is also extremely specific to each patient's situation. I doubt these dilemmas are going to be put to rest any time soon especially if some patients never get around to stating their wishes. Unfortunately, there are many people who can't bring themselves to face thinking about it or putting a directive in place. And, I also suspect in some cases even if they did, a meddling relative could refuse to accept their choice, to impose their own feelings on the situation leaving everyone in more misery.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:28 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
My dad has a feeding tube. He's got end stage Alzheimer's and MS, and can't really communicate, walk, use his hands, etc. He had aspiration pneumonia twice and they determined that he couldn't swallow anymore. My mom insisted on having the tube placed. I felt like she was really prolonging his suffering, but when I visited, he was chewing his hands and crying, which is how he indicates hunger, and I understood that she couldn't bear to watch him do that for however long it took him to die from not eating.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:56 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,144,574 times
such an ironic user name

and just so you're aware, it's not just the frail elderly that suffer injuries and poor outcomes during a code.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
such an ironic user name

and just so you're aware, it's not just the frail elderly that suffer injuries and poor outcomes during a code.
I am not surprised. It is the frail elderly that have DNR's in place that I was specifically referring to because the relatives think when there is an Advance Directive, that wishes will be honored, and for liability reasons (guessing), when you dial 911, resuscitation happens. In the case of my relative, the nursing home dialed 911, even WITH the DNR.

When another relative was dying, I had to convince someone in the house not to dial 911. I said, "do you want him dying on a cold gurney, or here at home (which was his wish)?

I made the post because I don't think it is common knowledge that first responders resuscitate no matter what and that hospitals do not always honor Advance Directives. For people who did not know this, they can now advocate for their relatives.

On the feeding tube issue: It is a moral and ethical dilemma if there is no Advance Directive. I was happy to have had parents who spelled things out and it gave me a chance to consider for myself what I would want - and it would not be that. My reason is that I would never want to burden anyone else and I also believe when it's "your time" to go, you "should" go . . . it's a personal viewpoint - not telling anyone else what to do, which I was bizarrely accused of - lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness