Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 03:21 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times

Advertisements

Congress has been working behind the scene for years to get supplements into prescription status. Imagine having to go to a doc to get a prescription for Vitamin C.

Quote:
Is the FDA Trying to Take Away Your Vitamins?
https://www.foxnews.com/health/is-th...-your-vitamins

Quote:
The FDA has issued a proposed mandate that represents the greatest threat to dietary supplements since 1994. Back in the early 1990s, consumers were so alarmed by FDA bullying that they staged a massive revolt. The result was that Congress passed a law prohibiting the FDA from banning popular nutrients (as the agency had threatened to do).

There was, however, a loophole in the 1994 law. The FDA was given authority to regulate ingredients introduced after October 15, 1994.
https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...ervatives.aspx

https://www.offthegridnews.com/alter...l-supplements/

FDA Poised to Ban Supplements in the US

https://www.drjeanetteryan.com/artic...an-supplements

Those who are against supplements will applaud this. Those who take them and believe they improve their health must conclude the FDA/DEA government apparatus must believe they do extend lives and so are trying as hard as they can to to take them away from citizens in an attempt to preserve funds that would otherwise be going to government agencies they favor rather than worthless seniors who are living to 90 and 100 and draining away a gigantic piece of the Fed's financial resources.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:25 PM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I posted this here instead of the supp sub-forum just to indicate a safety issue, not a fight on benefits and non benefits of supps.

Yes, even I take some based on Drs advice
Thanks for posting it. I assume/hope that all the interactions are already in the fine print of the pharmaceutical insert?

Old 11-17-2018, 03:34 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,925 times
I use several supplements recommended by my doctor and optometrist: Move free, Vitamin D, D-Mannose, Preservision and a multivitamin. The Move Free has really helped with arthritic knee pain.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:40 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Unfortunately, many taking "supps" will say that the ones THEY take are far better quality than those sold by MLMs so they're just fine. They don't understand that they still have to be on the lookout for interactions, especially since the tendency is to think that if a little is good then a lot is "gooder".

Old 11-17-2018, 03:59 PM

757 posts, read 838,324 times
So much disease and illness is genetic. Not much can be done about that. Most drugs treat symptoms and do not cure anything. Even prescribed drugs can be counterfeit so be wary. As for supplements, you don't know if that capsule contains the ingredient advertised or some dead animals ashes or cement. It always boils down to WHO DO YOU TRUST?
In my old age, I pretty much trust no one. Oh, and the old "this study says _______. Those are certainly winners. The thing is, if your grandparents lived to be old, you likely will too. If they were sick as dogs with this and that, then sadly you are likely to as well. Winston Churchill lived into his 90s and he drank a LOT of booze and smoked a LOT of cigars daily. It seems like we are fighting the war on cancer like every other war since WW II which means not winning.

Old 11-17-2018, 04:15 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
So much disease and illness is genetic. Not much can be done about that. Most drugs treat symptoms and do not cure anything. Even prescribed drugs can be counterfeit so be wary. As for supplements, you don't know if that capsule contains the ingredient advertised or some dead animals ashes or cement. It always boils down to WHO DO YOU TRUST?
In my old age, I pretty much trust no one. Oh, and the old "this study says _______. Those are certainly winners. The thing is, if your grandparents lived to be old, you likely will too. If they were sick as dogs with this and that, then sadly you are likely to as well. Winston Churchill lived into his 90s and he drank a LOT of booze and smoked a LOT of cigars daily. It seems like we are fighting the war on cancer like every other war since WW II which means not winning.
I do trust many of the affordable non damaging supplement companies and all one can do is try and see if something works to manage their issues. I took a pharma drug back in the 80's for OA and ended up in ER with stomach ulcer. So I'm very very wary. I could be trying the expensive Celebrex drug but could end up with another ulcer...so nope on that one. Booze can kill a lot of pain, but I'm not there.

Old 11-17-2018, 07:40 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Well, I'd rather be treated with a natural ingredient, even one supplied by an MLM (horrors) than the poison the AMA supports. No mention of the ghastly side effects that MOST prescription meds cause, I noticed.

Nothing biased about this article. No-sir-ee (rolls eyes)

Old 11-17-2018, 07:47 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well, I'd rather be treated with a natural ingredient, even one supplied by an MLM (horrors) than the poison the AMA supports. No mention of the ghastly side effects that MOST prescription meds cause, I noticed.

Nothing biased about this article. No-sir-ee (rolls eyes)
The problem is that there is no way to know for sure what is in any supplement you buy in the US. "Natural" does not always mean safe, and some supplements are contaminated with prescription drugs.

The AMA has nothing to do with prescription drugs.

Old 11-17-2018, 07:52 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The problem is that there is no way to know for sure what is in any supplement you buy in the US. "Natural" does not always mean safe, and some supplements are contaminated with prescription drugs.

The AMA has nothing to do with prescription drugs.
Really? Who is writing those hundreds of millions of prescriptions annually? Plumbers?

Old 11-17-2018, 07:55 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Really? Who is writing those hundreds of millions of prescriptions annually? Plumbers?
Physicians write them. The AMA has no input. It does not make treatment recommendations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness