Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 11:26 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
Mine is an apple with peanut butter. Obviously an actual allergy would change my mind, but barring that I will NEVER give it up. I have one almost every day - it is my own personal slice of heaven!
I like this healthy treat too. But could give it up if I had to. I have gone to almond butter as I believe peanuts are more of an allergen for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Oh My Gosh, this was a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
What the whole thread is a joke?

There is so much info on the common sense of foods today, I don't have to hear it from a doctor.

Dr. Google maybe.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 11-23-2018 at 11:58 AM..

Old 11-23-2018, 11:38 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
I've known a few who had to give up grapefruit since it would interfere with the functions of the medications they were taking.

I myself was trying to cut back on sodium and sugar even before my doc recommended it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Larry View Post
When you start to limit or eliminate the unhealthy foods you eat you will discover how much better you can feel, and when you do have some of the bad foods it will be obvious that you are poisoning your body. If all you ever eat is junk food you will never know the difference.
The oil that fried foods are cooked in has cancerous chemicals develop as the oil is reheated over and over.
There are also many nasty chemicals used to extract vegetable oils when they are being manufactured.
I only have deep fried food a couple times each year and since cutting back on red meat and dairy my migraines have stopped. There is a reason why heart disease, diabetes and obesity are so rampant. If you must eat all that crap don't complain when you get cancer, diabetes or whatever. Numerous recent studies prove that red meat consumption is tied to a huge increase in ischemic strokes in the brain.
^^ This. It takes willpower to look at [food item X], and tell yourself "nope!". I've made good progress, but still have more to go. I do indulge every now then. Nothing wrong with rewarding yourself. Just make sure it's in moderation.

Not unlike financial decisions. Common one being cutting back on the Starbucks or equivalent, and saving $5 to $25 per week

Old 11-23-2018, 11:44 AM

8,765 posts, read 5,059,025 times
Need to lower cholesterol in three months or go on meds. Stopped eating my favorites, which include eggs,candy, chips,fatty meats ect. It is horrible Never thought I would be eating oatmeal. Yuck

Old 11-23-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Need to lower cholesterol in three months or go on meds. Stopped eating my favorites, which include eggs,candy, chips,fatty meats ect. It is horrible Never thought I would be eating oatmeal. Yuck
People think Oatmeal is their cholesterol salvation. It's a grain and not that great overall, lots of info on this...

And the fear of cholesterol is out of control in the U.S. Veggies, fats and waters and read about the myth of cholesterol.

It's smart to cut down, reduce sugars for all health in general. Look to low glycemic fruits for your sugar..

Old 11-23-2018, 12:13 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Well, I've reconsidered my original answer. I would have a terrible time giving up all forms of caffeine. I have already started drinking decaf in the afternoon. I can't imagine giving it up totally. I love drinking coffee and tea.

Old 11-23-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Well, I've reconsidered my original answer. I would have a terrible time giving up all forms of caffeine. I have already started drinking decaf in the afternoon. I can't imagine giving it up totally. I love drinking coffee and tea.
I have no desire to give up my morning organic java, but I drink no more the rest of the day. Did when I worked but now if I get sleepy in afternoon, do a little close eye, no boss to tell me I can't. I'm the boss...

It's amazing how the body adapts when we remove long time foods/drinks we "lived on"...like for me I ate so much candy for so much of my life, and now the thought kinda makes me a bit sick..love not going to dentist for cavities too.

Old 11-23-2018, 12:55 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Alcohol. I'd give it up if I had to but hope I never do. Having said that- alcohol abuse killed my first husband so I'm well aware of the damage it can do. If I overdo it even a little I get a migraine so I exercise moderation.

Spices, especially hot sauce, would be a close second. They're practically calorie-free and guilt-free.

Over the years I've pretty much given up fried foods and have minimized meats, refined sugars and starches other than "slow carbs" such as beans, quinoa, bulghur, etc. I weigh what I did in college and my blood numbers are pretty good (high total cholesterol but a lot of that is the good type; Hba1c at 5.7). I love cheap prevention.
sounds like me: I too love my hot food period, not only hot sauce but most peppers. As for booze it killed my mom as well so I do try and watch what I drink, but oh how I love my wine. I too eat very little meat especially red meat. We have it about once a week: Fried foods, very rarely. My air fryer helps us keep the fried foods down to a minimum. My BD is a little high but cholesterol is fine. Weight: we won't go there.

Old 11-23-2018, 12:58 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
\

Are you serious -- pc cake every day.
I think this was meant to be a joke and the tread was meant to be a fun one. Now it has turned into a more serious one. it was moved from the Food and Drink topic to health.

Old 11-23-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
sounds like me: I too love my hot food period, not only hot sauce but most peppers. As for booze it killed my mom as well so I do try and watch what I drink, but oh how I love my wine. I too eat very little meat especially red meat. We have it about once a week: Fried foods, very rarely. My air fryer helps us keep the fried foods down to a minimum. My BD is a little high but cholesterol is fine. Weight: we won't go there.
My good friend could take off 50-60 lbs but won't give up her wine. So...I do believe that goes to sugar and hence her weight. I've given up wines but had a few sips of Stella beer yesterday with dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness