Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 01:00 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,640,301 times

Advertisements

....how many of you, at this age, have a regular exercise routine? I used to bike, run, 17 years of martial arts, some lifting, now, I have to admit that I hate strenuous physical activity. It’s tiring and exercises don’t feel good, either before or after like they used to.

For those of you at this age, what kind of routine, if any, do you have? Are you successful sticking to it? Do you enjoy any aspect of it? Do you feel like you’re progressing or just maintaining status quo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 01:34 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,665,169 times
I have a gazelle edge and I do isometrics and gentle yoga. I also like to dance. I turn on the music in the morning and dance by myself around the house.

I have dogs. I walk with them. I am pretty fragile so everything is low impact. I wish I could swim.

None of this is routine. Its all pretty spontaneous, but I do some or all every day. I have been active most of my life even though I've never been to a gym.

I enjoy it all. I have improved my health since I retired. I do have to watch my weight. I put on 20-30 pounds around the time I retired and that was a drag.

Old 11-25-2018, 02:01 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
No exercise "routine" for this 70-something. I never liked working out, doing exercise for the pure purpose of exercise rather than productive work.

With a working farm/ranch operation, I have plenty of exercise just keeping up with the required activities.

Old 11-25-2018, 02:13 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I’m 70 and I just do the PT exercises following a knee replacement. Since I still have another bum knee, I’m not much of a walker yet.

Old 11-25-2018, 02:19 PM

I just can’t get used to being this “old”. My job kept me pretty distracted until the end and I guess I didn’t realize how out of shape I was getting. I did a lot of walking with the job but not a lot else. Interestingly, when I retired, I lost over 30 lbs. spontaneously which I attribute to dramatically less stress and getting a good night’s sleep every night. For the person working a farm/ranch, that’s probably the best sort of exercise you’re doing anyway.

I’ve been doing a variety of things, off and on, but I just feel like I’m not making any progress. Some of the exercises are for my back which has been a problem but I know, from past experience, I need to do more to make better progress overall.... but it’s all just so much harder to do now and I really don’t enjoy any of it. I’m just not taking this growing old thing very well.

Old 11-25-2018, 02:47 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
....how many of you, at this age, have a regular exercise routine? I used to bike, run, 17 years of martial arts, some lifting, now, I have to admit that I hate strenuous physical activity. It’s tiring and exercises don’t feel good, either before or after like they used to.

For those of you at this age, what kind of routine, if any, do you have? Are you successful sticking to it? Do you enjoy any aspect of it? Do you feel like you’re progressing or just maintaining status quo?
I have a combination elliptical/recumbant bike here, and exercise on that for approximately 45-50 minutes five days per week. I've done this for several years now, so it's gotten to be a habit. I can't say it's my favorite thing to do, but I can see the benefits and that makes it well worthwhile IMO.

I've had to make some adjustments in the exercise as I was diagnosed with a cardiac arrythmia ( SVT) many years ago and as I get older even with the meds to control it, it rears its ugly head when it wants to, and during the exercise, the heart rate will suddenly jump up into the 180's or more, and I get short of breath and would be a little dizzy if I didn't stop. Or it pauses a bit and slows down during the exercise sometimes. It generally goes back to appropriate levels when I pause for a minute, and I can resume the exercise. I'll be running this development ( I didn't realize the heart rate went that high till I had the heart rate monitor on the elliptical fixed a few months ago) by my cardiologist when I see him next month to make sure what I'm doing about that heart rate during exercise is safe.

I've also had to adjust my other cardio and light weight bearing arm exercises as they sometimes aggrevate the left shoulder bursitis that's visited me intermittently for years. I always found that rest, ice and Aleve as directed on the bottle did wonders to settle it down, but a discovery of bleeding ulcers about 7 months ago, and the difficulty with which these healed ( finally did, leaving just inflammation but no ulcers) has kind of put the kabosh on the Aleve, so further adjustments downward for those exercises, at least right now.

So that's the way it goes. I'll never make it as an endurance athlete for sure, LOL, and I'm sure someone who's serious about progress in their physical status and exercise routine would find my piddly attempts at maintenance kind of pathetic. But I feel as though if I can exercise, even with the modifications, things will be ok.

I'm 71.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:01 PM

Hang in there Travelassie. Live long enough and we all seem to accumulate some damage from the years. I had spinal surgery about 6 months ago which has eliminated a lot of my excuses for not doing more. I still have trouble doing any kind of plank position, like with a push up, so I use a weight machine for seated presses to the front to try to get the same arm shoulder involvement. I can only do leg lifts with both legs if I carefully tilt and tighten my pelvic region but at least I found a way to exercise those muscles. I still remember how I used to just do things and not think about them. Now, I have to think carefully about most anything I try. FWIW, I’ve never been what I would call an endurance athlete, even at my peak. I was always the sprinter, jumper, sudden burst of energy type but I could certainly do a ton more of it then than now.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:26 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
I'm 70 and I work a physically hard job where I can walk many miles each night. I like the idea of getting paid to exercise! For that last year I have been off work because of my wife's health. I will go back to work in January; I already have my old job lined up. Traditionally I will loose ten pound the first month of work after being off for some time. The rate I loose will go down in time.

I just never liked the idea of working out unless I am getting something done or getting paid. Exercise makes more sense when you can see your accomplishments. By the way, at 70, many do not have to work. So, if financially secure, you could take a part time job that only last a few hours. Anything that is physical is better than sitting in a chair. I had coworkers that told me I would work myself into the grave; they are all dead now.

Old 11-25-2018, 05:07 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I'm 70 and I work a physically hard job where I can walk many miles each night. I like the idea of getting paid to exercise! For that last year I have been off work because of my wife's health. I will go back to work in January; I already have my old job lined up. Traditionally I will loose ten pound the first month of work after being off for some time. The rate I loose will go down in time.

I just never liked the idea of working out unless I am getting something done or getting paid. Exercise makes more sense when you can see your accomplishments. By the way, at 70, many do not have to work. So, if financially secure, you could take a part time job that only last a few hours. Anything that is physical is better than sitting in a chair. I had coworkers that told me I would work myself into the grave; they are all dead now.
Hubby does this. He’s 68 and works about 24 hours at Home Depot. He’s moving the whole time and likes the activity.

Old 11-25-2018, 05:22 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Hubby does this. He’s 68 and works about 24 hours at Home Depot. He’s moving the whole time and likes the activity.
24hrs?? Every day or certain shifts? When does he sleep. Just wondering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness