Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 11:11 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,143,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
At this rate we'll all be dead soon.
Well, sooner or later for sure............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 11:23 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Yes, that’s what they said in the article. But I’m also wondering if that just scratches the surface of a larger, social problem. For example, one could develop a pain syndrome due to overwork (or stress about unemployment), then get prescription pain killers to which one could get addicted.
Really, do you not think the CDC considered this and looked into it? I mean, that's what those folks spend their careers doing.

The death of George HW Bush yesterday at 94 is illustrative. When did so many people live into their 90s before? The last several US presidents to die lived into their 90s. My grandparents all died in their 60s/70s. I think the CDC got it right.

Old 12-01-2018, 12:41 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Whatever you do, don't even insinuate that prescriptions for opiates might be part of the problem, or the wrath of Khan may descend upon you.
Which Kahn? Rich Corinthian Leather Ricardo? Or Benedict Cumberbatch?

In 2018, it’s pretty tough to get an Rx for enough opiates to get hooked. If you’re talking a decade ago, sure.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:19 PM

7,237 posts, read 4,548,286 times
I definitely think that the people around me are suffering very badly. You can't go anyplace today and not be truly struck by how bad people look and how many "conditions" they have.

However, I am in demonstrably better shape than my mother at this same age. Now of course, she had two kids and I had none, so perhaps I haven't been as put through the ringer as she was, but my mother had high blood pressure, bad cholesterol, and had her dentist have pulled most of her teeth. She also was so bad on stairs she couldn't go up and down to the basement any longer and I live in a three story townhome and have none of the issues.

What I see is a problem of some of our society doing very very poorly. As was pointed out, George Bush, died at 94 in pretty good shape. And generally it seems people who are rich seem to be doing well.

My guess is that the people who do exactly what their doctors say are the ones suffering. If you get mammograms, if you get the flu shot, if you fail to take Vitamin D or supplements and just follow directions to a T, you will suffer. I can't tell you how many people I know on disability are on disability due to the doctor's poor advice and victim mentality training. I take no medication no matter how many times my doctors have tried to get me to take them and I do take targeted supplements including vitamin d.

The answer seems obvious to me... don't just listen to what the authorities say. Clearly what advice they give is not working.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:51 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
If you get mammograms, if you get the flu shot, if you fail to take Vitamin D or supplements and just follow directions to a T, you will suffer.

The answer seems obvious to me... don't just listen to what the authorities say. Clearly what advice they give is not working.
The 10's of millions that died from the flu in 1918 only suffered for a couple days, so perhaps you have something there.

50 Million died.
https://www.archives.gov/exhibits/influenza-epidemic/

I think you have it somewhat right in that you don't put yourself in the hands of just any local doctor or hospital - and it also depends on where you live. I have seen it first hand many times.

Our state is quite advanced in health care and "wellness" is what the doctors preach. If and when people need further care, they are told the truth if they go to the top hospitals (which don't cost more, since we have universal coverage)....
I
But a person who goes to the local hospital for brain surgery is generally not going to end up in good condition. They'll take the job, of course. Everyone need practice.

The reason for the decline of the USA health is the same reason for the general decline - hopelessness and other such factors combined with predatory health care (which we agree on).

But if you think people are going to be healthier by not getting a flu shot or vaccine or regular checkups and cologuard and all that stuff, you are wrong...statistically. Your personal experience (and mine) don't mean a thing. Public health involves 100's of millions of people.

It's all tied into the "Greed is Good" system - predatory medical care charges a lot to fix the effects of predatory food marketing and predatory lifestyle marketing and more pollutions cheered by the corporations that get more and more tax breaks and cuts in regulation.

In addition, we have the educational problems....but, education doesn't make enough money in a Capitalistic Sense, so there is little reason it is going to be pursued. Much more is made fixing problems caused by ignorance than by preventing them.

That's part of my take anyway. The system simply doesn't work except for those who are very smart, very educated and/or very wealthy. Imagine - older people can choose from Medicare.....Part A to Part N. All intentionally confusing so Corporate America can get their piece of the pie. At the very time in life when people can't make such decisions, they are presented with options as if they were lawyers.

Old 12-01-2018, 02:26 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I don't understand the direction this thread has gone. The CDC says the decline is due to deaths of 25-44 year olds due to drug deaths and suicides.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cdc-us-...-and-suicides/
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-01-2018, 02:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I don't understand the direction this thread has gone. The CDC says the decline is due to deaths of 25-44 year olds due to drug deaths and suicides.

I was thinking the same thing. It seems if you get past that, you have a pretty good chance of living to 90-something.

Old 12-01-2018, 03:02 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,405,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Who decides what are "ostensibly better health habits?"

I probably have a lot of "health habits" that are opposite of what some people think they're supposed to do.

I'm 60 and healthier than my siblings and mom.
Yes, that’s why I said “ostensibly better,” instead of just “better.”

Old 12-01-2018, 06:53 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

It can't be due to one stat!

There are endless articles online about middle age white women dying young.
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...ths-of-despair

DESPAIR is given as the reason.

Suicide among elder men is 4X the average of all Americas.

Drugs and Suicides ARE products of despair, lack of community and other such indicators.

Suicides among Vets have been off the charts for many years.

Diabetes is given as a cause - that is the result of food marketing...combined with low self-image and often unhappiness and loneliness. The Great Recession, wars, divisiveness, social media (lack of real world relationships)....probably all tie-in

Respiratory diseases and flu are killing more.....is there more pollution? Too many anti-vax types?

These are complex issues and it's not something that your one sentence can describe. As you probably know, Russian men were dying (avg) in their early 50's just a few years back. Now I think it is upper 60's but still vastly lower than the 1st world.

Just because one media outlet puts a headline out on one recent finding doesn't mean the rest of the reasons which have been studied for the last decade or two are moot. IMHO, anyway.

Public health is an extremely deep issue. Dig around and google stuff like "why are Americans dying early" and you will see everything under the sun.

As another thread mentions, more people are now losing health care coverage - children also. It is fact that this results in lower life expectancies. Etc. Etc.

Old 12-01-2018, 07:58 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,306,628 times
I do not like to be unkind but there seem to be many more morbidly obese people in the US than anywhere else we have travelled. That cannot be good for their health.

Looking at the OECD statistics, it seems that the road toll rate is double that of equivalent counties such as here and Canada. I found that surprising because a lot of the roads are so much better than ours and the cars all seem very good (much cheaper than here so less old cars) Not sure why the rate is so high?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness