Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2018, 07:05 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,055,958 times

Advertisements

The reason I am asking is because there is a group of women (BII) Breast Implant Illness, who are saying they have had theirs removed and now feel so much better, healthwise. The procedure is called explantation and I am considering removing the implant I got, after breast cancer.

Women about 50,000 strong, state that symptoms include enormous inflammation , aches and pains, headaches, vision problems, dropping things constantly, memory loss, and a host of other illnesses that may or may not be due to silicone breast implants. Could the implants cause this? They don't know but some doctors are telling patients the only way to know is to have them removed.

And, ten years is about all they should remain implanted. I have had one, after the mastectomy, for 10 years and have a variety of unexplained symptoms, with no real reason. I just do not think I should have all of these problems.

If you had this explantation procedure, please respond. Would like to know your experience. TIA
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 10:01 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
A friend of a friend, very vain person, had implants done probably 30+ yrs ago and she had a lot of issues, had them removed, re-done, and now I understand from my friend, they have been removed for good...this person is in dementia now which started to come on maybe 10 yrs ago, she's now in very early 80's and can't live alone now. Personally, I would never do this to myself but it's done so much.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:11 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,457,773 times
There are forums that talk about breast implant illness and you can find information on removal. If you look up complications, you can find a ton of information. I think even CNN or Fox news had some article recently on new problems with the implants. This is one thing I highly recommend against getting. As for mastectomy reconstruction, it is understandable. However, I have a friend that had a mastectomy that was trying to make a decision and she ultimately chose not to get implants. She looks absolutely fabulous. I like the sleek look of a smaller chest anyway. She is a smaller statured med tall girl and rocks her clothing styles and look.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:24 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
I have no doubt that there are people who have had adverse reaction to all sorts of bodily-implants, breast-implants included.

Some people have poor reactions to the stainless-steel in replacement-joints.

The hardest part, most times, is being sure the implant is actually the reason you are experiencing health-problems.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:48 PM

810 posts, read 870,441 times
I've not had implants, but saw this on the nightly news last week - the textured implants are linked to anaplastic large cell lymphoma:

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...plants-n940181

Just wanted to pass it along in case you have a textured implant. If you're near the 10 year mark, it's good you're doing research on whether to replace or remove. Good luck with your decision.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:26 AM

982 posts, read 607,711 times
AZGarden, have you decided on what to do? I am considering explanting as well after cancer in 2017 and double mastectomy. Now have issues of pericarditis that will not go away for 2 months, now.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuttzie View Post
AZGarden, have you decided on what to do? I am considering explanting as well after cancer in 2017 and double mastectomy. Now have issues of pericarditis that will not go away for 2 months, now.
No, I have not decided but am having a "sit down" with my PCP on Friday to see what he thinks. I doubt I would explant, in any instance, since my father suffered brain infarcts during kidney surgery and was never the same again. He was a personality that was so hard for my Mom to manage. Belligerent. Angry, Confused. All this, after being very mild mannered and calm his whole life. I think the anesthesia was the cause.

I received the WHOLE chart from the VA Hospital. He was there 3 months, and they never were able to explain his awful behavior after his kidney surgery. He spent most of his time in restraints.

So many things to consider. I hope you can make your decision easily; mine is hard.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:18 AM

982 posts, read 607,711 times
I am so sorry about your father, AZgarden, my heart goes out to you and your mom. It is a really hard decision, for sure! I will be taking some time and more research. I'm in a FB group of BII and am reading their stories and asking questions. I asked my oncologist last week about it and she said she'd never heard of any current cases of issues even when I told her there are many in my group and it seems to be a real thing. All of the ladies in the group have had doctors not believe them that it is implant related. Here is a video someone posted in there from the Today Show. All the best to you!

https://twitter.com/TODAYshow/status...GyPxueSwpO32wM

Old 01-14-2019, 05:44 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,990,921 times
Yes,,,some women's bodies try to reject implants. If they are bothering you...take them out.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Yes,,,some women's bodies try to reject implants. If they are bothering you...take them out.
It's not that simple. Knowledge is power. You ought to read up on this issue before posting something like "If they are bothering you, take them out".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness