Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 09:51 AM

171 posts, read 141,752 times

Advertisements

I never had this crap before in my life. I've lived 34 for years without this. And all of a sudden, these past few months, I start getting this. I was feeling fine last Monday to Wednesday, but on Thursday, I started to feel like I was going to have another episode, surprisingly, I ate 2 avocados that day. I made the mistake of drinking a Pepsi on Friday, and instantly started having heart burn and I've been having this nonsense since then. Is this slight pressure right on the diaphragm, more towards the left side.

When I had this the first time a couple of months ago, I thought it was heart problems, but after I experienced burping and funny taste, I realized what it was, but I still went to the doctor, they did blood work, egk, x-ray and everything was normal.

Now I'm having it again, I can't help but think is my heart even though is very unlikely lol but is annoying, is this constant feeling which closer to the skin, rather than deep. It is very subtle feeling, but just enough to annoy the heck out of me and can't focus on anything else. I also read that it can't be your heart if you had the pressure for 2 days or more, I'm almost sure I have a hiatal hernia. There is no other explanation, as I've never had this heart burn in my life and my esophagus couldn't have just gotten weaker for no reason at my age

I'm just waiting for my insurance to start in january, so I can go to the doctor

This sucks and worst part is not just that, but it comes with other symptoms, like slight headache, stuffy nose, and overall you don't feel normal. I took an antiacid tablet before sleep and it helped a little. I changed my diet now, but I still have this. I'm not eating avocados or any of this anymore.

I can't help but think I may have something more serious even though is probably not. I have health anxiety and I hate feeling this way, I just want to be healthy, I want to be normal. I want to have peace of mind.

Last edited by NasalPolyps; 12-16-2018 at 10:00 AM..

Old 12-16-2018, 10:07 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
Are you taking anything to try and prevent the reflux in the first place, as opposed to just waiting for the symptoms to develop and then taking pills?

I have reflux which I control successfully with an H2 blocker, and I can tell you congestion and drainage is a much bigger trigger for me than alcohol, spicy foods, eating late etc. I almost always have reflux problems when I have a cold or allergies. I know from reading your posts congestion and sinus problems are an issue for you.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Are you taking anything to try and prevent the reflux in the first place, as opposed to just waiting for the symptoms to develop and then taking pills?

I have reflux which I control successfully with an H2 blocker, and I can tell you congestion and drainage is a much bigger trigger for me than alcohol, spicy foods, eating late etc. I almost always have reflux problems when I have a cold or allergies. I know from reading your posts congestion and sinus problems are an issue for you.
I do have pepcid and I have taken it before, it helps but I don't like the fact it has antihistamine. I took this, it helped somewhat, but the next day, I was feeling groggy even though it had been more than 12 hours since I took it. Make sense since benadryl, which act similar stays in your system for 24 hours before is completely removed, so the same would apply to this antihistamine

I'm thinking of trying a pump inhibitor, but I read so many negative things about them, higher risk of heart problems, liver problems, higher blood pressure, etc. Its like you can't fix one thing without possibly getting other things.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:24 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
We've given you so much info. Probiotics, High Quality ones at least 60billion CFU's, Digestive Enzymes, and we've discussed how so many who take melatonin for sleep do NOT have reflux issues. Can we be any more informative at this point?

Old 12-16-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
We've given you so much info. Probiotics, High Quality ones at least 60billion CFU's, Digestive Enzymes, and we've discussed how so many who take melatonin for sleep do NOT have reflux issues. Can we be any more informative at this point?

I will be using probiotics, but I've also read that using melanotin every day is not and it can have side effects. Melanotin is basically hormone therapy.

https://empoweredsustenance.com/mela...s-bad-for-you/

Old 12-16-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalPolyps View Post
I will be using probiotics, but I've also read that using melanotin every day is not and it can have side effects. Melanotin is basically hormone therapy.

https://empoweredsustenance.com/mela...s-bad-for-you/
Then get high quality digestive enzymes as well.

That's right Melatonin is a hormone and as we age it depletes and some replace what is depleting...I've been taking it for 10 yrs at least but I'm much older. I've never had reflux issues, so could be a genetic issue for many as well.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:56 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
I do have pepcid and I have taken it before, it helps but I don't like the fact it has antihistamine. I took this, it helped somewhat, but the next day, I was feeling groggy even though it had been more than 12 hours since I took it. Make sense since benadryl, which act similar stays in your system for 24 hours before is completely removed, so the same would apply to this antihistamine

I'm thinking of trying a pump inhibitor, but I read so many negative things about them, higher risk of heart problems, liver problems, higher blood pressure, etc. Its like you can't fix one thing without possibly getting other things.
From what I've read and been told, it's long term use of PPIs that are associated with the side effects you hear about. I was told by a doctor I saw that PPI use is supposed to be limited to 3 months, but he still prescribed Protonix for me for a total of 8 months due to gastric ulcers that healed that slowly. You might try an over the counter PPI (such as Omeperazole) for a short time to see if it might improve your symptoms, and check all this out with the doctor you see in January when you get your insurance. Also as you are doing, be mindful of what you eat that might aggrevate your reflux, and don't eat for a few hours before you go to bed.

I now take prescription strength Pepcid-at least for a few months. This is hopefully to get rid of the gastric inflammation where the ulcers were. I haven't had any side effects from these that I can tell.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:08 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
Quote:
I never had this crap before in my life. I've lived 34 for years without this. And all of a sudden, these past few months, I start getting this. I was feeling fine last Monday to Wednesday, but on Thursday, I started to feel like I was going to have another episode, surprisingly, I ate 2 avocados that day. I made the mistake of drinking a Pepsi on Friday, and instantly started having heart burn and I've been having this nonsense since then. Is this slight pressure right on the diaphragm, more towards the left side.

When I had this the first time a couple of months ago, I thought it was heart problems, but after I experienced burping and funny taste, I realized what it was, but I still went to the doctor, they did blood work, egk, x-ray and everything was normal.

Now I'm having it again, I can't help but think is my heart even though is very unlikely lol but is annoying, is this constant feeling which closer to the skin, rather than deep. It is very subtle feeling, but just enough to annoy the heck out of me and can't focus on anything else. I also read that it can't be your heart if you had the pressure for 2 days or more, I'm almost sure I have a hiatal hernia. There is no other explanation, as I've never had this heart burn in my life and my esophagus couldn't have just gotten weaker for no reason at my age

I'm just waiting for my insurance to start in january, so I can go to the doctor

This sucks and worst part is not just that, but it comes with other symptoms, like slight headache, stuffy nose, and overall you don't feel normal. I took an antiacid tablet before sleep and it helped a little. I changed my diet now, but I still have this. I'm not eating avocados or any of this anymore.

I can't help but think I may have something more serious even though is probably not. I have health anxiety and I hate feeling this way, I just want to be healthy, I want to be normal. I want to have peace of mind.

The bold^: I've had the same symptom which appeared to be gallbladder but, after many tests, it turned out to be excess stomach acid.

You may have to eliminate other foods from your diet for a few weeks to see if they are causing problems. I suggest eliminating tilapia and replace it with cold water fish like salmon, sardines, herring, etc. Eliminate any other potential problem foods, one at a time.

Until you can see your doctor, you could try licorice root. I suggest trying licorice root tea first but if it doesn't help, you may need a stronger preparation of it.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
The bold^: I've had the same symptom which appeared to be gallbladder but, after many tests, it turned out to be excess stomach acid.

You may have to eliminate other foods from your diet for a few weeks to see if they are causing problems. I suggest eliminating tilapia and replace it with cold water fish like salmon, sardines, herring, etc. Eliminate any other potential problem foods, one at a time.

Until you can see your doctor, you could try licorice root. I suggest trying licorice root tea first but if it doesn't help, you may need a stronger preparation of it.

gallbladder is more to the right though. This reflux could be caused by some reasons that unless I get tested or xray, i will never know, it could be hiatal hernia, ulcers, h. pylori, etc

I'm almost sure is excess acid, as when I had that pepsi, after 30 minutes, I felt the burning sensation right on that same spot. What I'm trying to figure out is what caused this in the first place. Nothing has changed in my life, except that I was eating fast food which I stopped doing. One year ago, I could eat anything and never have a problem.

How could things change so much in a matter of months, this is what leads to believe is a hernia or possibly ulcers that I developed from eating fast food and sodas all those months.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post

DGL is a wonderful Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice Root Extract. I have been taking this for years too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness