Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 06:19 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
The gas is CO2 which was pumped into the colon to blow it up like a balloon, allowing the doctor a better view of the walls to see polyps. Gax-X doesn't help much; you just have to fart it all out.
Besides the nasty prep I had severe gas pains after my one and only colonoscopy in 2017 big time. I was doubled over by the time I got home and couldn't even eat the Egg McMuffin I was dying for after 36 hours with no food. They told me next time they wouldn't use so much CO2 on me. The actual procedure is nothing and I would recommend people have one every 5-10 years, more often if you have a family history of colon cancer.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:49 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,083,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Propafol is a very pleasant sedative. I had best dreams ever and woke up very refreshed after. Had it done twice plus, last time, he also scoped esophagus and stomach. Basically, did entire GI tract.
What to expect - unless you are sensitive to propafol, pleasant dreams. Nothing else. Then get back home and hit the bed for another few hrs, while it's still in your cells.
Not quite the entire GI Tract!

Old 01-23-2019, 12:04 PM

6,413 posts, read 4,908,175 times
I have had 4 and the worst thing is the prep. My SIL died from Colon Cancer so I have been vigilant about getting mine every 5 years.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:52 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,486,659 times
I had one this month. My experience seems you have to ask for the easier prep. I think they don't always offer it because it cost more. The prep I had, only had me drink (2) 5 ounce glasses of prep, several hours apart, each followed by several glasses of water. It was a kind of lemonade taste. I would have paid anything to not have to drink the awful prep stuff I had years ago. The prep was available in a powder form that you mix with water or in a liquid form. The liquid one was not covered by my insurance and would be $150. It turned out the powdered one was covered with a $40 copay. I was fully ready to pay the $150 if I had to.

My first colonoscopy was not done for screening, but for diagnosis. I'm not going to tell you all about my colon cancer, surgery, & chemo experience, but if I had been tested at the recommended age, it all might have been avoided. It's been 15 years, I am lucky to be here.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:02 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,049,655 times
Just another note on the "Awful" prep - eat lightly for two days before the prep. Makes it a lot easier. Less going in = less coming out, just saying. And once the liquid comes out clear, you can quit drinking it.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:43 AM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
I had one this month. My experience seems you have to ask for the easier prep. I think they don't always offer it because it cost more. The prep I had, only had me drink (2) 5 ounce glasses of prep, several hours apart, each followed by several glasses of water. It was a kind of lemonade taste. I would have paid anything to not have to drink the awful prep stuff I had years ago. The prep was available in a powder form that you mix with water or in a liquid form. The liquid one was not covered by my insurance and would be $150. It turned out the powdered one was covered with a $40 copay. I was fully ready to pay the $150 if I had to.

My first colonoscopy was not done for screening, but for diagnosis. I'm not going to tell you all about my colon cancer, surgery, & chemo experience, but if I had been tested at the recommended age, it all might have been avoided. It's been 15 years, I am lucky to be here.
The prep the doc who did my last colonoscopy instructs for his patients consists of two Dulcolax pills, followed at more or less timed intervals several hours later by two bottles of magnesium citrate. Seemed to work just fine, at a cost of less than $5.00. No insurance needed.

Sorry to hear of your cancer troubles, glad to see you're around fighting it, and hopefully beating it.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:55 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,371,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Besides the nasty prep I had severe gas pains after my one and only colonoscopy in 2017 big time. I was doubled over by the time I got home and couldn't even eat the Egg McMuffin I was dying for after 36 hours with no food. They told me next time they wouldn't use so much CO2 on me. The actual procedure is nothing and I would recommend people have one every 5-10 years, more often if you have a family history of colon cancer.
Sorry you had a problem. Not all medical facilities are equal. You want to do your home work to find the best place to have it done. Plenty of reviews online and other resources to find out about the doctor doing the procedure.

Also it is important to block our your schedule to stay home for the prep and afterwards. If the travel is far to have the procedure, consider staying in a hotel near-by the day before.

Old 01-27-2019, 01:56 PM

83 posts, read 57,710 times
Make sure to use the vaseline! It helped my fiance a lot. Also any kind of entertainment is good to have as well, I got my fiance into video games and while she was going through the prep we both had Nintendo Switch's and played together lol. I even shaved while she was going through it lol. Oh, and some good smelling stuff as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness