Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 11:08 AM

1,653 posts, read 4,296,055 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone knows what happens with a patient who has no drivers license or picture ID at a Dr's office or Hospital? If you have insurnace, would they still treat you?

I work in a hospital but not in admissions so I have no clue.

I just know there are many Seniors who might not drive or have a picture ID.

Illegals get benefits and they don't have photo ID's so I wondered how they handled it with Citizens.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 11:48 AM

8 posts, read 259,366 times
I work in admissions at an ER. By law we have to treat anyone that walks through the door as per EMTALA (Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act). We ask for a picture I.D, but if they don't have one we have to treat them anyway.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:56 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel2nc View Post
I work in admissions at an ER. By law we have to treat anyone that walks through the door as per EMTALA (Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act). We ask for a picture I.D, but if they don't have one we have to treat them anyway.
mel2nc........i use the VA (navy) but i always wondered what does the hospital do when the uninsured can't pay when at the ER? Is it the county indigent fund that pays the tab or do they file on these people for credit collection agencies?

Old 03-12-2009, 12:06 PM

Uninsured patients are not required to pay in full at time of service. They can put a "down payment" on their bill if they like. If they are charity cases we refer them to our financial services department where they can apply for charity assistance or set up a payment plan. If they don't pay at all, then yes they are sent to collections.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:20 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Thanks for answeing Mel2nc as i'm sure that will help some folks who were unsure about that.

6/3

Old 03-12-2009, 07:39 PM

Thank you Mel2nc. What is the DL for? If the person has insurance, then why do they ask for the ID anyway?

I started to think about that issue and then a friend of mine took her son to a Dr. who scanned her son's hand and said they could not treat him unless they scanned his hand. That made me think of all the Seniors with no ID's.

I work in the Pharmacy and we have illegals in all the time getting RX's paid for by the Govt so it didn't seem right if they get help with no ID's and are here illegally and yet the Seniors would be turned away?

I kept hearing on the campaign trail comments like "people are refused cancer treatments because they have no insurance. So I guess that was just rhetoric. I couldn't imagine a hospital letting a patient die because they have no insurance.

Thanks for clearing this up.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:46 AM

JennySuirrel...We ask for a DL because some patient's with no insurance use a fake name or alias to keep from getting billed. It also helps to properly indentify a patient.

When you refer to an "illegal", how are they getting their RX's filled by the Govt. I thought you needed a SS # to get medicaid/assistance?

Old 03-14-2009, 08:09 PM

Mel2nc!

So while you ask for it, if they don't have it and present a insurance card, you have to take them? Do you notify anyone that the person has no id? It does seem like that leaves the door open for fake ID's etc.

I am not sure how the insurnace now is with illegals or how they get it but they have a card, no jobs and don't speak English. They are on assistance. I would assume if they were here legally their husbands wouldn't be day workers. You know? None of them work. They might have anchor babies so would that make them legal? I am not sure.

I don't directly deal with the insurance, thank God!

Old 03-15-2009, 08:56 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,198,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
I kept hearing on the campaign trail comments like "people are refused cancer treatments because they have no insurance. So I guess that was just rhetoric. I couldn't imagine a hospital letting a patient die because they have no insurance.

Thanks for clearing this up.

I want to point something out.. Cancer treatment and ER treatement are completely DIFFERENT. ER patients do not get treatment for "conditions".. And yes cancer patients, asthma patients etc are turned away by DRS OFFICES.. not the ER.. in the ER you don't get treatment for cancer.. you get emergency medical care.. two seperate issues...

The ER will get a patient stable to leave.. then patient needs to follow up for CARE with their Dr.

Been there. done that.. I even worked in the ER - after making a rash decision to marry a man who could get me health insurance.
As a person with Asthma.. i had no insurance, no money, no job.. I HAD to go to the ER for EMERGENCY care every couple of weeks.. I got rescue inhalers, steroids, admitted... then discharged.. they did not treat me.. they stabilized me.. Then i was back again.. The DRs would not see me because I couldn't pay and I had no health insurance.. My credit was ruined, i was knocking on deaths door and still could not get treatment.
I couldn't get state aid either because I was not "challenged.. ie.. immigrant, disabled (not technically), or a single mother".

I'm limited in the jobs I can do.. I would love to quit my job and go back to school.. but I have an illness that is debilitating so i have to have the health insurance. I am for national healthcare, but I am also against it.. its a loose loose situation.

So... there is a difference.. please note that! drives me insane when people refer to the ER as "healthcare".. Its stabilization care.. and just an fyi.. when I went in to the Er for my Asthma.. i was in serious condition and drove myself because - agian.. no money, no insurance.. and they would get so mad at me for that.. so as I was being rushed in for treatment many people with children with broken bones had to wait longer.. if I could have gotten the preventative care from a regular dr then i would not have needed to go the ER.. I have had insurance for many years now - on my own.. and have not had to go to the ER in over 5 years. I receive EXCELLENT preventative care from a Dr.. that I have to pay 50$ every time I see plus my premium every month of $200 and $150 a month on medication after my insurance pays.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:45 PM

Thanks for your input. I am happy to hear you finally got insurance. It is a shame that someone like you wasn't able to get state help because you weren't an immigrant, disabled,etc. We have failed as a society when we insure someone who sneaks into this country and we turn our backs on Americans.

At any rate, I am happy for you now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness