Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 08:08 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Vitamin A-- you can get too much. That's why polar bear liver is toxic.
Vitamin K- no one needs it in the diet, Our gut flora makes all we need. Commensalism.
Vitamin C- good source. Big deal. One vitamin that potato can give almost half your requirement too.

I mentioned kale & tomatoes because they're always mentioned as being so good for us. They're better than Ho-Hos, but not much.

If a nutrient is less than 10% of RDA in any given food, then that's not nutrition dense- you need too many servings to provide the need. That doesn't mean you shouldn't eat it. It just means you need other sources too. I wouldn't consider any RDA less than 20% to be a "good" source of anything.
VItamin A - good thing I cited kale (which only crazy people eat daily) and not polar bear liver which is very difficult to find in my local stores and is prohibitively expensive anyway..

Vitamin K - debatable that you don't need it in your diet:https://www.caltonnutrition.com/vita...-and-bacteria/
"Vitamin K2, aka menaquinone, is the vitamin K of (intestinal) bacteria. Because ruminating animals use bacteria for the bulk of their green-plant-digestion, their guts are factories for vitamin K2. So is yours, to an extent – your good gut bacteria can convert vitamin K1 to K2, although the debate rages as to whether modern humans can convert an adequate amount of K1 to K2 to support basic functions. However, new research does not support these levels being adequate for heart or bone health- so we will continue to monitor and report new findings as we have them."

Vitamin C - oh yes, you forgot all the vitamin C in onions too - all the better for early sailors to avoid scurvy....so what? One orange or 2 onions - I'll take the orange, thanks.

I also never said that 10% of a daily requirement is nutrient dense - that's why I didn't bother mentioning them.

Go ahead - eat your meat and potatoes - you've got it all figured out. Oh - if you hate veggies so much, you can get lots of magnesium in many kinds of nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 09:18 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Ahh, I understand. So is your problem too much or too little estrogen? Sorry, I am a male, can't relate directly.

On a side note, I also want to mention that if you eat "regular" beef, cattle are known to be given estrogen in the fattening-up process. It may not be that much per serving but it could add up if you eat a lot of it. I do remember another post on this, it's been a while. It was about men and boys developing breasts. This is the suspected cause.

As you say, the information is conflicting but in the article I posted, there is a link to a conclusive study done in 2014. It may interest you.

Article here
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf...34735413502076

Estrogen receptive cancers involve too much estrogen. Thanks for the link. A lot of pesticides also contain estrogen, so we've gone organic.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:04 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,160,449 times
I've read that magnesium improves heart rhythm - so less pvcs and pacs if you suffer from them.

Old 02-09-2019, 02:43 AM

7,253 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Go ahead - eat your meat and potatoes - you've got it all figured out. Oh - if you hate veggies so much, you can get lots of magnesium in many kinds of nuts.

I think you're missing my point....My original contention is that(a) there is no really good, single source of many vits & mins (b) many of us, according to the "official RDAs," are not getting enough of certain vits/mins on a regular basis (are the RDAs right?)..and (c)meat is probably the best single source, all things considered, of nutrients, while potatoes could be argued to be the best single plant for nutrient density.

That does not mean we needn't eat plant material, but that if we eat mostly plant material, we're going to spend a heckuvalot of time searching for an adequate mix & amount to fill our needs....There's a reason herbivores spend most of the day grazing and browsing while carnivores spend most of the day sleeping or inventing fire.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Funny - sounds like those commercials that say "x" has more Vitamin C than a whole loaf of bread! When of COURSE bread isn't known to have much at all Vitamin C so it is a bogus comparison.

Kale has:
206% daily Vitamin A
134% daily Vitamin C
684% daily Vitamin K
and a bunch of others that aren't so impressive...like most foods!

Sure, meat is good but you moved the goalposts when you threw in kale and tomatoes....and you're cherrypicking what vitamins you're counting with individual foods. OMG - oranges are a lousy source of protein (but they're a good source of Vitamin C - who cares?). Oh no - spinach has no B6 (and only 301% of your Vitamin A!). The point is to eat a variety...or just take vitamins since you're worried..about magnesium at least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
I think you're missing my point....My original contention is that(a) there is no really good, single source of many vits & mins (b) many of us, according to the "official RDAs," are not getting enough of certain vits/mins on a regular basis (are the RDAs right?)..and (c)meat is probably the best single source, all things considered, of nutrients, while potatoes could be argued to be the best single plant for nutrient density.

That does not mean we needn't eat plant material, but that if we eat mostly plant material, we're going to spend a heckuvalot of time searching for an adequate mix & amount to fill our needs....There's a reason herbivores spend most of the day grazing and browsing while carnivores spend most of the day sleeping or inventing fire.
I guess you missed my original point. And I never said anything about eating ONLY or even MOSTLY vegetables but it seems you have an agenda that you want to push regardless of how people respond. I think it's funny that people think vegetables are all that vegetarians eat. REAL vegetarians eat lots of legumes that are great sources of protein and fiber. It's silly to make foods compete with each other and only eat those that are the most "x".

Also someone else talked about getting tired of lettuce - geez, if there is another veg emptier in nutrients than lettuce I don't know one! To judge vegetables on the basis of lettuce is like saying you can't get all your vitamins from water - so that's a pretty poor excuse.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:24 AM

726 posts, read 1,229,055 times
check out DR. Berg on You Tube

Old 02-11-2019, 11:31 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
I believe you need K2 with vitamin D, that’s what my vitamin D comes with.
I have doubts about eating nuts providing you with enough magnesium, because my husband eat lots of nuts daily. All kinds. He still lacks magnesium.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I believe you need K2 with vitamin D, that’s what my vitamin D comes with.
I have doubts about eating nuts providing you with enough magnesium, because my husband eat lots of nuts daily. All kinds. He still lacks magnesium.
How low are his blood levels?

Old 02-12-2019, 09:57 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
Quote:
How low are his blood levels?
I don’t know, but when he was in the hospital last they said his was low for hospital. So they gave him some. So we’re now monitoring his Magnesium level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness