Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 11:31 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
How much importance to place on these snacks that the "super healthy" people at work are always talking about ALL day? Seems to be good evidence for these foods, and combined with exercise seems to be a safe bet. Looks like many of these have some evidence of reducing cancer risk. These people sometimes substitute 2-3 of these items for an entire meal!

1. handful of almonds daily
2. handful of walnuts daily
3. 2 avocados per week
4. blueberries throughout week
5. red raspberries throughout week
6. boiled eggs
7. broccoli
8. spinach leaves
9. garlic and onions
10. tomatoes
11. citrus fruits
12. salmon
13. coffee
14. whole grains
I eat a lot of those foods because I like them; I didn't know they were super foods. Broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, I know are supposed to be good for you. I don't like them but I eat them anyway.

But the others make good little snack foods or breakfast foods. Avocado on toast, blueberries--my favorite fruit, make a nice smoothie, I like slivered almonds in a piece of folded over bread for a snack, poached egg for breakfast, spinach leaves I can only get fresh from a sandwich shop but I love their sandwiches, onions and tomatoes are common ingredients. Oooops on #11 - #13. But I do eat whole grain (Ezekiel bread.)

But it seems that there's always some new "magic" food that's supposed to cure us of all ailments. Coconut oil is one. It used to be soy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 09:22 AM

4,005 posts, read 2,081,502 times
Quote:
How much importance to place on these snacks that the "super healthy" people at work are always talking about ALL day? Seems to be good evidence for these foods, and combined with exercise seems to be a safe bet. Looks like many of these have some evidence of reducing cancer risk. These people sometimes substitute 2-3 of these items for an entire meal!

3. 2 avocados per week
Essential oils and healthier fats. Easier for your body to digest and assimilate, and also usually contain other nutrition. For what it is worth, butter is a healthier fat than margarine. Your body is designed to digest butter. For more information research essential oils in your diet. Enough nuts to fit in the palm of your hand. I combine walnuts (about 3 halves, and about 4 to 7 almonds per day - raw if possible). Ive heard it said that walnuts and macadamias are healthier than almonds, but any nuts in a storm. lol.

1 handful - what fits in the palm of your hand - of nuts and 1/2 avocado a day are sufficient snacks.

Quote:
Among other nutritional value, all berries contain flavonoids. Research flavonoids and their benefits.

Quote:
6. boiled eggs
Protein - necessary to build and maintain muscle. Filling. Healthier than a fried egg.

Quote:
7. broccoli
8. spinach leaves
cabbage etc. among other things, said to help fight cancer.

Quote:
9. garlic and onions
Garlic is good for your heart. Onions contain sulfur which is antifungal.

Quote:
10. tomatoes
I don't know. I'm guessing lycopene - antioxidant that prevents cancer and reduces risk of heart disease.
They are also a great source of vitamin C. Potassium which is good for blood pressure. Vitamin K - need to help calcium out. Also, is what helps blood coagulate. Also helps vitamin D make healthy blood cells. Vitamin K and Vitamin D and calcium help build bones and keep them strong.

Quote:
11. citrus fruits
Among other things, vitamin C. Prevents scurvy lol.

Quote:
12. salmon
Fish is said to be a better meat than all the others, and deep sea fish are higher in essential oils. Then you can start arguing about how unhealthy farmed fish is and also wild caught because the ocean is so polluted, and just forget about ANY river fish due to heavy metals in the polluted rivers and streams. Some experts advise to watch how much fish you eat due to mercury alone.

Quote:
13. coffee
Supposed to be effective against liver cancer.

Quote:
14. whole grains
Better nutrition than bleached white flour. Sprouted grains (Ezekiel bread) better nutrition than whole grains because live food is healthier than dead food.

The closer to the vine or branch you can get your produce - the more nutritious it is.

Let's not forget coconut oil and meat and milk - antifungal, antimicrobial, essential oil and healthier fat. Your skin and hair will drink it up, they love it!

Grape seed oil, powerful antioxidant. Most of us wont eat grape seeds, so this you need to supplement.

Another thing to monitor and supplement is Vitamin D3. Miracle vitamin - helps prevent inflammation and infection.

Turmeric, another powerful antioxidant. 4000 times more powerful when combined with black or cayenne pepper.

Aspirin is derived from the inner bark of the red willow tree. If you don't have any issues taking it, aspirin is a miracle drug. Anti-inflammatory, fights fever & infection, and nothing better for bone pain. Better for your liver than other analgesics and pain relievers.

How important is all this? It's as important as you make it and can afford it to be.

I doubt anyone who has posted on this thread is a true expert on this massive topic. I have been researching food and diet for the past 30 years and I still learn something new everyday.

You posted a MASSIVE topic in a nutshell version. Google is your friend.

P.S. If you are going to poison your liver with alcohol consumption, and your lungs with tobacco, and live your life in a massively polluted environment, you could argue whether it matters much at all. One train of thought would be, every little bit helps; while another train of thought might be, what's the point?

Last edited by ComeCloser; 03-03-2019 at 09:46 AM..

Old 03-03-2019, 09:44 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
If you are what you eat - I am definitely nuts! Handful of mixed nuts are my favorite at work snack along with popcorn and fruit. I tend to eat lots of fruit / citrus / berries.

I do not consume coffee and I only have eggs scrambled, all the other items on the list I eat regularly to various degrees. Sometimes I will eat 3-4 avocados in a day. I guess my substitute for coffee is dark chocolate and teas of various sorts.

I think guidoLaMotto makes an apt point on adequate versus inadequate to describe diets. One thing I've noticed over the years is - while I try to be as healthy in my nutritional habits as possible, some of my tastes have changed and I think it is related to my body telling me what I need.

An example, I never liked mushrooms or sardines as a child and in my youth. I was totally indifferent to them until after adulthood. Lately I find myself eating them more frequency or in spurts.

Sometimes I think if we have a nutritional deficiency our bodies will get a craving for the appropriate contents from the apt food of choice.
________

Old 03-03-2019, 09:51 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Super food is a sales gimmick.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:56 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:

3. 2 avocados per week
6. boiled eggs
7. broccoli
8. spinach leaves
9. garlic and onions
10. tomatoes
11. citrus fruits
12. salmon
13. coffee
14. whole grains
I don't know anyone who eats like that.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:59 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Those foods are regularly a part of my diet, but with greater variety. It looks like my shopping list.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-03-2019, 10:35 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Really? Most of the people I know eat those foods regularly. They seem very common to me.

Old 03-03-2019, 10:36 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Those foods are regularly a part of my diet, but with greater variety. It looks like my shopping list.
Me too. I have all of those items in my house right now except the salmon. But I eat salmon about once a week.

Old 03-03-2019, 10:52 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
I don't have salmon or berries, otherwise all that stuff is constantly in the house. I like ahi/white fish and not salmon (so I take fish oil), and berries both cost a fortune here AND suck, so I rarely buy them. But I have some acai in the freezer.

A lot of the list are ingredients that go into recipes.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-03-2019, 10:52 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well, they eat more foods than just that, but those aren't unusual foods by any means.

I eat all those foods except that I hate fish so I take fish oil. Those foods make up my breakfasts, lunches, and snacks but I also eat meat and potatoes and all sorts of other things too. I'm no model for a perfect diet so I find it kind of funny that I eat all those things several times a week. I mean, who doesn't eat a few slices of tomatoes? Avocados are really popular--almost a fad food lately. Eggs? Almost everyone eats eggs, hard boiled, soft boiled, poached. Spinach I do find hard to get because you have to buy a lot unless your grocery store has it in a salad bar. But I know a sandwich place that uses spinach in the sandwiches. Citrus fruits? Oranges or orange juice? Grapefruit? Not uncommon either.

Usually I find these lists of great foods to be discouraging because I've never even heard of half the stuff, but this list? I've even got a container of fresh raspberries in the fridge! These are common every day foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness