Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2019, 11:15 AM

885 posts, read 1,167,385 times

Advertisements

Anyone diagnosed with SPD??

I'm 66 yrs old.

I was considered "hyperactive" as a kid- always jumping, running around even inside the house, I couldn't stand the feel of clothes, especially socks (complained there was sand in them), and I remember a public health nurse (I lived in the Bronx until 9 yrs old) coming to the house occasionally and giving me a shot for a "tranquilizer". I had delayed speech until about 4 yrs of age, and I wasn't potty trained until 3 or so.

I had trouble with reading, comprehension, speech (had school based speech therapy), and trouble focusing and was very distractible.. Had trouble sitting still....

Now I'm just wondering if I really had it (my parents never had health insurance and didn't believe taking a kid to the doctor to "look for problems" when a beating on the ass with your belt would suffice. You were half dead before you went to even the ER).

Now I still have the same symptoms- (Ok I'm potty trained, and not as active because I'm 66 !!) But I "feel" hyperactive- like a buzzing in my muscles. I start things/ projects and never finish, or become overwhelmed with have "too much" to do and so I can't even start a project or occasionally even cleaning the house..

I don't like the feel of clothes and would rather be in my cotton pajamas, or loose pants and a T-shirt or sweat shirt (and only if I have to get dressed). Wear a bra only if VERY necessary, and when I do get dressed the 1 st thing I do when I get home is get into my pajamas- instantly. Can't stand getting "dressed up" for a special occasion....

I don't like "loud noises" and they me crazy and irritable: barking dogs, the car heating fan all the way on (OMG.. turn that thing OFF!!), windshield wipers, the radio, large parties of ppl, traffic, etc.

I also can't take bright lights and walk around in the dark or with night lights, etc., tho I can take some sunshine.

I have trouble sitting still for movies, concerts, etc. Even watching TV I'm up and down, up and down...I take forever to read a book, tho I like them and do it all the time, but I find myself staring out the window, at the wall, the plants, etc...within 5-10 minutes. I constant fight to not just skim pages of instructions or important papers...I seem to have trouble focusing long enough to actually read the paper, magazine, article, intructions, etc.

When ppl speak to me, my mind wonders and I seem to focus on their mouth, or sometime there hair, etc and not get what ppl are saying to me.....I have to ask them what they just said, so they need to repeat it......

I'm impulsive, and can be very irritable at times, with a long, but then instant trigger..

I don't like being touched or hugged by my husband (or anyone including my parents)...I just stiffen up. And kissing??.......yuck....Ok I'll kiss Hubbie occasionally, but usually on the cheek....he's understanding and also thinks something is very wrong and goes with the flow....good guy....

Now this could be because I always felt, from elementary school onward, that my parents never loved me (and I said so when I was 8 or 9- my older brother was very smart and my sister was the baby) and didn't think twice beating me, and had no interest in anything I did or accomplished, whether as a kid or adult. I graduated college at 39, and they never called, came to watch, or even send a card.

I grew up with my mother telling me that my sister was born because they were hoping to have a normal child..(.My brother was my father's child when- his wife died when my brother was about 3-4 yrs old. He was very subdue and quiet, but scary smart..).

Anyone fighting these issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness