Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 07:15 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times

Advertisements

You need to get one of those "viral" kidney donation campaigns going on social media. I assume you asked most of your relatives and they have been screened as potential matches already and ruled out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 10:02 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
You need to get one of those "viral" kidney donation campaigns going on social media. I assume you asked most of your relatives and they have been screened as potential matches already and ruled out?
They wont even consider me for a transplat till i lose 100 lbs. not an easy task, to date ive lost 10lbs.

Old 04-22-2019, 04:12 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
They won't even consider me for a transplant till I lose 100 lbs. Not an easy task, to date I've lost 10lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Watching YouTube Videos on diet would be a complete and utter waste of time.
Would it?

In any case, the main purpose of diet and exercise is to live well NOW in the moment day-by-day. Long-term beneficial side effects, if any, are a bonus.

My father suffered massive kidney failure, possibly due to life-long smoking, high salt and fat diet, sedentary life-style, high stress life-style, and maybe some genetic factors.

He was on dialysis for a number of years, but also lost a lot of weight, then became eligible for a transplant which actually occurred and prolonged his life another 20 years, but still cut short possibly because he refused to quit smoking.

Sympathy to the OP for the condition, but also encouragement to lose weight, not only because it may lead to a transplant, but mostly because it could quite possibly make him feel better NOW.

Good Luck!

Old 04-22-2019, 04:20 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Quote:
They wont even consider me for a transplat till i lose 100 lbs. not an easy task, to date ive lost 10lbs.
Now that is a bummer, it would be cool/nice if they sped up that research into being able to grow replacement kidneys in the lab, which could be used for transplants. I know it sounds science fiction, but there are a bunch of research labs working on that possibility (might be a long way away though).

Old 04-22-2019, 10:39 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
Quote:
Peritoneal dialysis wont work for me as i just cant get to that level of sanitary conditions plus i dont have the space to set up a dialyzer . also kidney transplant requires some very extensive qualifications the first one being my needing to lose 100lbs,
Wondering if you're misunderstanding things - as far as sanitary conditions go - you need an area to make the exchanges without pets or other people walking in on you. The cycler really shouldn't be that large.

There's also home hemodialysis- the new machines for that are quite simple to use & smaller than a mini fridge. The same type of therapy delivered daily, for a shorter period of time is - way easier on your body

CMS is planning on forcing most patients into a home therapy over the next decade or so - I believe the goal is 80% home, 20% in-center.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
As im in Canada no money is required for the cost of a kidney transplant. Havent asked family for kidney donation as distance factors would make it very inconvenient.

Last edited by jambo101; 04-23-2019 at 02:21 AM..

Old 08-13-2019, 03:11 PM

213 posts, read 769,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
The OP is on dialysis...

That means he has end stage renal disease....

There is no reversal, there is no cure other than renal transplant.

Watching YouTube Videos on diet would be a complete and utter waste of time.
A renal transplant is not a cure, it is considered another treatment option.

Old 08-13-2019, 04:57 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
If you're into alternative ways to deal with illness, pm me.

Old 08-14-2019, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
If you're into alternative ways to deal with illness, pm me.
Id also like to hear of alternate options of treating kidney failure as this dialysis is a real inconvenience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness