Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 07:11 AM

853 posts, read 648,644 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm just here to share my experience and ask for advice if you know good household remedies to at least relieve an extensive sunburn. The whole story started this weekend, I went with my wife to swim in a lake on saturday but I burned my skin badly, yesterday on sunday, I couldn't do anything but coming home. The result: i burned my head, my face, ears, shoulders, arms and upper back, fortunately just a small burn on one foot. I know I can visit several websites but your opinion would be very welcome, I know this process to cure my burns will take a week but I need to relieve this pain, because is very painful, I didn't sleep. I took several cold showers, just to relieve the pain, and while it works for an hour, eventually I start to feel my skin very hot and itchy again. My wife purchased an aftersun with aloe vera, hopefully this will help to accelerate the cure. Is there anything else you know is effective to at least relieve the pain? I know I will eventually feel better but this is very painful at this moment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 07:14 AM

3,372 posts, read 1,566,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
Hi,

I'm just here to share my experience and ask for advice if you know good household remedies to at least relieve an extensive sunburn. The whole story started this weekend, I went with my wife to swim in a lake on saturday but I burned my skin badly, yesterday on sunday, I couldn't do anything but coming home. The result: i burned my head, my face, ears, shoulders, arms and upper back, fortunately just a small burn on one foot. I know I can visit several websites but your opinion would be very welcome, I know this process to cure my burns will take a week but I need to relieve this pain, because is very painful, I didn't sleep. I took several cold showers, just to relieve the pain, and while it works for an hour, eventually I start to feel my skin very hot and itchy again. My wife purchased an aftersun with aloe vera, hopefully this will help to accelerate the cure. Is there anything else you know is effective to at least relieve the pain? I know I will eventually feel better but this is very painful at this moment

Get an aloe leaf from a grocery store that sells them (they usually are 2-3 feet long). The real deal not the stuff sold in the tubes. Chill it in the refrigerator. Once chilled cut off a piece, cut it open, and apply the gel liberally over the burned areas. Do this about 3X per day for a few days.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:48 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Time+aloe+staying hydrated are the only things I know that help. Oh and don't spend too much time in the sun while burnt.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:17 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,028,242 times
I had an acute sunburn on my face last year. It turned into what I have seen called "The Devil's Itch," and it truly was. If you have this, I feel for you. I'm not exaggerating when I say it was the worst experience of my life. It felt like tiny hornets were continuously injecting acid into my face. I couldn't sleep or concentrate on anything. Even driving was an issue because the pain and itch were so distracting I was a menace on the road. I was so exhausted from lack of sleep, I had to cancel all my plans; even a much-anticipated family wedding a few hours away was too much for me to even contemplate.

I only found a couple of things that helped. One was Advil, which seemed to tame the itch and make it a little more bearable. At first I would use a cold compress to soothe the skin, and later on, when I had a lot of flaking, I would very gently rub a dry washcloth over my face, which seemed to take away the itch for a while. There was no lotion or cream that helped at all. I have seen some remedies recommended online, which I didn't try because I was afraid I would damage my skin further, so I'm not going to note them down here, but if you Google "Devil's Itch" you may find some other possibilities.

Good luck with this--I hope you get over it quickly, because as you are painfully aware, it is no fun.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:21 AM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
White vinegar (or apple cider if that's what you have on hand) is a miracle!! Use cotton balls to dab all over your sunburn - takes the heat out immediately. (told to me by a local who took pity on me when I'd been FL and was so sunburned I could hardly walk)

Old 04-29-2019, 08:26 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,003,187 times
When I was a kid I got several sunburns every summer as there was no such thing as SPF. What worked well to soothe the burn was Noxzema.

Fortunately I haven't had sunburns since I learned to stay out of the sun as much as possible and use sun block every day. But in the olden days, Noxzema really saved the day for me.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:30 AM

924 posts, read 1,677,842 times
Aspirin. When we got sunburned at the beach as kids, we would take aspirin as soon as we came in and for the next 24 hours. It helps keep the inflammation down and helps with pain. It is possible that Motrin or another anti-inflammatory would work better nowadays.

Cool baths.

Powder on the bed sheets to make them feel smoother.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:33 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
Get an aloe leaf from a grocery store that sells them (they usually are 2-3 feet long). The real deal not the stuff sold in the tubes. Chill it in the refrigerator. Once chilled cut off a piece, cut it open, and apply the gel liberally over the burned areas. Do this about 3X per day for a few days.
Times two. Real aloe leaf is what you need for burns. I’ve tried the bottled stuff, it just doesn’t do what a real leaf does.

Everyone should keep an aloe plant, IMO. Aloe is pretty easy to grow.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:55 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
White vinegar (or apple cider if that's what you have on hand) is a miracle!! Use cotton balls to dab all over your sunburn - takes the heat out immediately. (told to me by a local who took pity on me when I'd been FL and was so sunburned I could hardly walk)
Another vote for vinegar, but I dilute it in a cold bath. The acid can really burn without it. Also, aspirin reduces the inflammation and fever you get with a sunburn because you will have a fever.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:22 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,253,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Another vote for vinegar, but I dilute it in a cold bath. The acid can really burn without it. Also, aspirin reduces the inflammation and fever you get with a sunburn because you will have a fever.

Yeah, mom used to vinegar us too.

Didn't smell so nice but it helped with the burn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness