Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 11:47 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,768,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I know, right? I've worked in healthcare for 15 years, been a patient for decades, and took my grandma to the derm when she had severe skin cancer all over her body, as well as done dermatology treatments for a long term skin condition myself, and neither of us were naked. We had that lame paper own and were uncovered a little at a time. I have also had numerous pelvic exams. No nakedness there either. It may depend on geography, but in my experience, the scribe thing is still relatively uncommon. However, medical assistants and nurses are widely used in exam rooms, no matter what the patient wants. Doctors do not want to be accused of raping patients.
Men and women are treated differently when it comes to their exposure in healthcare, things tending to be more lax with males. For my 1st ever full skin exam a couple years ago I started out with one of those flimsy gowns. I was sitting on the table with it on. After checking my legs and feet he removed it from my shoulders so that it was just sitting on my lap while he did my upper body, and then rather than have me put it back on he had me just stand up and set it aside while he did the genital/rectal portion of the exam as I stood there totally naked. The next time I was better prepared and put it back on myself before he had me stand to do the genital/rectal portion.

Other staff in the exam room is OK with me if they are actively participating in the exam, but not if they are just there as observers. An example of active participation would be cystoscopies where a nurse does the prep. An MA or nurse just standing there as a chaperone is undignified and something I do not agree to, though physicians rarely use chaperones for male patients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 12:19 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,957,639 times
Heaven forbid these doctors have you’re medical information right in front of them and can update it as they go.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:53 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
yes...it's very disconcerting...it's very hard to talk to a doctor whose not looking at you, and typing while you speak....makes me feel that they might not hear what I'm saying....

As in talking to anyone else, make sure you have eye contact and their attention before speaking.

If you speak while they're entering your information on the computer, you're likely to distract them and make them make a mistake anyway. Let them enter your information before speaking.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:46 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Wonder how all the old doctors "got it" in the olden days of our parents and their parents. No computers then. Anyone ever think of that.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:01 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Whether bothersome, good or bad, doctors have much more technology than was available in the olden days when the human mortality rates were much higher than today.

With technological and medical progress comes a whole slew of issues, both extremely good and some bad.

I'd rather have my doc keep his nose buried in his computer while I am there then die earlier like my parents and grand parents generations of easily curable issues that are almost nothing today!

The one serious issue that I have with today's technology is Epix for escribing Rxs

Because of all the drop-down menus, it is too easy to make prescribing errors. Wrong line, wrong med or wrong dose. A pharmacist's and patient's nightmare

Old 05-07-2019, 03:19 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,762,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Wonder how all the old doctors "got it" in the olden days of our parents and their parents. No computers then. Anyone ever think of that.

Piles and piles of papers in a medical record for those that saw the same provider for many years. Or piles of papers in various medical records without any kind of cohesion across specialties, if needed.

ETA: On top of that, most of what was in those files was barely legible to someone else reading them. I did medical transcription along with billing, and old files being converted into an EMR system were torturous to attempt to decipher. Many just were scanned in because no one could make heads or tails of what was written.

Old 05-07-2019, 06:15 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Just like anything else that has since been automated. Tons and tons of paper, illegible writing, lots of filing, records destroyed by pests, water, fire, and lost records.

It was awesome!!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-07-2019, 08:15 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,256 times
Quote:
Yeah...they had to snail mail your medical information to other doctors that you were seeing. Good luck getting it in a hurry back then, especially if you were going into surgery and they needed your records before your surgery could begin. Now all your records are online where all your doctors and pharmacists can see what is currently going on with you immediately, no waiting for snail mail.

My mother's medical chart was about 6 inches thick, and no doctor or nurse could find what they needed in her chart at the time they needed it. It was a horrid mess, and all of it was handwritten in chicken scratch.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:17 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Yeah...they had to snail mail your medical information to other doctors that you were seeing. Good luck getting it in a hurry back then, especially if you were going into surgery and they needed your records before your surgery could begin. Now all your records are online where all your doctors and pharmacists can see what is currently going on with you immediately, no waiting for snail mail.

My mother's medical chart was about 6 inches thick, and no doctor or nurse could find what they needed in her chart at the time they needed it. It was a horrid mess, and all of it was handwritten in chicken scratch.
Yeah, try and find that one medicine she is deathly allergic to in all that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-08-2019, 06:59 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
As in talking to anyone else, make sure you have eye contact and their attention before speaking.

If you speak while they're entering your information on the computer, you're likely to distract them and make them make a mistake anyway. Let them enter your information before speaking.
I've tried waiting for them to quit typing and look at me....doesn't work.
One doctor even told me (when I'd stopped talking like you said) to continue on...the whole time while typing and giving me NONE of his eye contact.
It always starts well...with eye contact...but within minutes, that eye contact is over and the computer gets their eyes from then on.
Every doctor I've seen lately does this....I find it really disconcerting, because as you say, I'm afraid to speak after that because I don't know that they're really hearing what I'm saying.
I know I couldn't be giving someone my full attention when I'm furiously typing as they speak.
I almost feel insulted when they do this....it seems to have all started when electronic medical records came about.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness