Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2019, 07:45 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times

Advertisements

Ive posted about this before on here, but I finally had my ENT appt earlier today, he was very thorough, he looked at my throat, my ears, stuck some kind of camera in my nose to look at the area behind my nose (weirdest feeling having this done), he said it all looks normal.

The lump or mass, has no liquid or pus in it, its about 3cm in size, and sitting on my neck, he said its tethered to the skin as well, they took some cell samples with a needle and sending them to a pathologist, so hopefully that should tell me more about it.

A couple strange things about this though, the nurse that examined me before the doctor, asked me if I had been exposed to radiation of any kind, (I havent) and when doctor was looking at the lump, he asked me about radiation as well, asked me if it could have been without my knowledge (idk about that, not sure where someone would be exposed to radiation in the course of daily life), I dont work around anything radioactive and as far as I know, ive never been near any.

Also, when he was poking the needle around inside this lump (they did numb it up beforehand), it was uncomfortable, but not too bad), he said he thought there was something hard inside, something the needle wouldnt penetrate, he actually said he has never seen this before, (so thats a little concerning!)

He ordered a CAT scan for next week, he said this will show him whats on the inside and if its connected to anything or just a lump of dead skin cells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 08:28 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Well, I hope it is a simple lipoma.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:36 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Well best wishes for a benign something....

Old 05-07-2019, 05:14 PM

Ive been researching online alot today (probably not the best idea though), I could not find any info on a lump/mass with something hard in the center. I saw alot of stuff on Fibromas (just benign bunch of skin) and cancer of the larynx (which is possible because Im a smoker), I should hear back from the pathologist report friday or monday.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:35 AM

I got the pathologist report in this morning, but confused on what it means, it stated that the sample only contained 'rare lymphocytes'.

Im assuming since the pathologist used the word 'only' that is a good thing, but not sure.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I got the pathologist report in this morning, but confused on what it means, it stated that the sample only contained 'rare lymphocytes'.

Im assuming since the pathologist used the word 'only' that is a good thing, but not sure.
Keep us posted when you get more details. It does sound favorable though. And yes, it is tempting,we all do it, to go to the net and try to diagnose what this or that could be, but it isn't a good idea unless we take the findings with a grain of salt Let the doctors do the research for us

Old 05-09-2019, 07:49 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:

By that the pathologist means that is all he saw. Lymphocytes are normal cells found in the blood and in tissue. Best to discuss the significance of these findings in your case with the doc with the doc who did the biopsy.

Old 05-11-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
By that the pathologist means that is all he saw. Lymphocytes are normal cells found in the blood and in tissue. Best to discuss the significance of these findings in your case with the doc with the doc who did the biopsy.
Apparently they considered this result to be inconclusive, so I go in this tuesday for a CAT scan, doctor said this will tell them more.

From what Ive heard and been reading, when lumps or masses appear on the body, sometimes, there is another mass/tumor, somewhere else, on the inside of the body and these outer lumps only show up in later stages (but usually there are accompanying symptoms as well).

Old 05-11-2019, 12:12 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Yes, the path report should be discussed with your MD....trying to guess at it only keeps you anxious.

Hope you get good report from the CT....

Old 05-11-2019, 01:04 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
Quote:
Apparently they considered this result to be inconclusive, so I go in this tuesday for a CAT scan, doctor said this will tell them more.

From what Ive heard and been reading, when lumps or masses appear on the body, sometimes, there is another mass/tumor, somewhere else, on the inside of the body and these outer lumps only show up in later stages (but usually there are accompanying symptoms as well).
Stop Reading!!!

I had a lump on my neck about 25 years ago. I never even realized it was there until my son asked me one day what it was. It was about the size of a pea and once I knew it was there I couldn't help seeing it.

Told the doctor and he sent me to a Head and Neck surgeon. Had a scan and diagnosed as a Pleomorphic Adenoma. Not malignant, but unfortunately had attached itself to one of my facial nerves. The surgeon was quite frank in telling me that it could result in permanent disfigurement, i.e. drooping of that side of my face and a distorted smile.

Crossed my fingers and had the surgery and thanks to the surgeon's skill, there was no disfiguring of my face.

I'll cross my fingers for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness