Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 09:02 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,436,629 times

Advertisements

This is data from two years ago, but I wasn't able to find anything newer.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmc.../#cf9480f4badd

What surprises me is that since 2008, there has been a huge surge in the wellness industry and production of high end organic products.

Now I never though these things would be a solution as I saw them more of a money making grab, but still...

How has it gotten worse? In 2008 pretty much everyone was eating fast food/processed food, you'd think with the 'new' food options things would at least plateau, but they've kept growing.

Personally I think people should grow their own food, and buy from farmers markets, but that's not realistic for the majority of people.

Has our food gotten worse, or are people moving around less?

I could buy the latter reasoning but even then people weren't very active in 2008, and that's ignoring the recent Gym rise.

Can someone explain this to me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 10:13 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,823,755 times
There are a number of factors, but the bottom line is that food portions are too big and fast food, chain restaurant food, prepackaged food is very popular. People are also more sedentary.

Poverty also plays a huge role in unhealthy food choices.

Obese parents make obese kids so unhealthy food choices get passed down.
Then add in genetics, busy schedules, and no desire to take care of oneself and you have rising obesity rates.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:12 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,117,552 times
Life just seems to be out of control and overly stressful for many people. I think that leads to a lot of people regressing to bad habits, stress eating, etc. When every few years the foods that were proclaimed "very bad for you" are suddenly rebranded as "very good for you" (or vice versa) many people become fed up with even trying.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:44 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,436,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
There are a number of factors, but the bottom line is that food portions are too big and fast food, chain restaurant food, prepackaged food is very popular. People are also more sedentary.

Poverty also plays a huge role in unhealthy food choices.

Obese parents make obese kids so unhealthy food choices get passed down.
Then add in genetics, busy schedules, and no desire to take care of oneself and you have rising obesity rates.
That's fair.

But wouldn't you say all this was a factor in 2008?

Poverty was higher then. It's just with all the green food boom, hip farmer markets in the city, and new Gym culture, I don't see how any of that makes the situation worse.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:05 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
Ban the AYCE piguffets in the name of national-security.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:47 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,567,058 times
Processed food, sugary drinks, "diet" stuff with horrible ingredients, and poor eating/exercise habits in general. Life expectancy rates in the US will be on the decline for some time longer-term.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:38 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,424,199 times
Medical doctors are telling people it doesn't matter what they eat, all that matters is the number of calories. That is not true.

People are also being told, by the researchers and professionals, that increasing exercise is not the way to lose fat. Of course it is, but people believe their doctors.

The obesity epidemic is caused by refined carbohydrates, processed food, and inactivity. We all know this. But the "experts" are saying otherwise.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:51 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,980,594 times
People like to eat. They do it for emotional reasons, and for entertainment. They don't understand that they're eating more than their bodies need, which causes them to gain weight, and then they wonder why.

Haven't we already discussed this for the upteenth time?

Old 05-07-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
That's fair.

But wouldn't you say all this was a factor in 2008?

Poverty was higher then. It's just with all the green food boom, hip farmer markets in the city, and new Gym culture, I don't see how any of that makes the situation worse.
Poverty is the same if not worse. Unemployment may be down - but that is because a lot of people are no longer getting unemployment because it ran out. Also many people work more than one job to make ends meet.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Medical doctors are telling people it doesn't matter what they eat, all that matters is the number of calories. That is not true.

People are also being told, by the researchers and professionals, that increasing exercise is not the way to lose fat. Of course it is, but people believe their doctors.

The obesity epidemic is caused by refined carbohydrates, processed food, and inactivity. We all know this. But the "experts" are saying otherwise.
You cannot out exercise a bad diet. Diet AND exercise are needed to lose and keep off the weight. Exercise without a calorie deficit will not amount to losing weight. Diet is 90% of the equation.

Refined carb foods is junk food. Don't blame doctors for this epidemic. People in this day and age know what constitutes good and bad foods. They also know that eating huge portions of food is not good idea either. Blaming doctors is just lazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness