Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 10:21 AM

177 posts, read 130,322 times

Advertisements

I read an article recently that was very interesting regarding surgeons who perform hip replacements utilizing the "anterior approach" rather than the standard approach on the side cutting through layers of muscle. According to the article since the incision is made in the front and does not go through the muscles the patient experiences a much easier recovery and healing process. Since I am on the horizon for one I would really like to hear from someone who has had this procedure done and your thoughts. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 10:51 AM

2,891 posts, read 2,138,926 times
yes, i've had both hips done via anterior approach.

you'll get some chiming in about something or other about how it's "bad" or "inferior" to other approaches.

regardless, mine both turned out fine. i spent one night inpatient both times and then went home. i had no PT, just instructions to walk as much as i could. it seemed to work for me.

Old 06-01-2019, 10:51 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
I went with this one on a highly recommended surgeon in our town and I live with 9 yrs soon of complications from this approach. I'm sure enough have good results, but I did NOT. If I ever had to do one again, and pray I never do it again, I'd go with Posterior. A D.O. I see for bodywork is now even saying, it may not have been your hip that needed replaced. omg...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/healt...erior-hip.html

I've had back OA for years and all these joints are so connected..and now I live with even more OA since the replacement, wasn't supposed to be this way, I believed.

Oh, BTW: I had a good 5 months post op recovery and then it all went downhill.

All I can say, if one can live without these major surgeries, do so.

And I did NOT do checking online as you are about outcomes, I had talked to 4-5 people who had the surgeon I had and they gave him good marks. So I went with what they told me...meeting him he had a stinkin personality, maybe I should have thought about that one.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-01-2019 at 11:03 AM..

Old 06-01-2019, 11:29 AM

177 posts, read 130,322 times
Thank you both for the info. I plan to put it off for as long as I can as I know it is a major operation. In my case my cartilage is all destroyed. I have been taking glucosamine chondroiten with MSM and hyalauronic acid which has helped cushion somewhat. Lots to think about here. Hope you are both doing well

Old 06-01-2019, 11:44 AM

2,891 posts, read 2,138,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JF2U View Post
Thank you both for the info. I plan to put it off for as long as I can as I know it is a major operation. In my case my cartilage is all destroyed. I have been taking glucosamine chondroiten with MSM and hyalauronic acid which has helped cushion somewhat. Lots to think about here. Hope you are both doing well
it's major but it's not as traumatic as it sounds. both of my incisions are about 4-5 inches long which really isn't much in the scheme of things. i was out of bed within a couple hours after surgery using a walker. my surgeon (and i imagine many) infused the surgical site with liposomal bupivicaine (basically a novocaine type drug in a fat emulsion) that sort of numbs the area for about 4-5 days to help with post-op pain which helps facilitate moving/walking. i was driving within two weeks (for the left hip, a bit longer for the right) and pretty much recovered within a month or five weeks.

i waited way too long for one hip, it was bone on bone and even i could see that in the X-ray. i could barely walk. i jumped on getting the right one done before it became that painful.

good luck with whatever you do.

Old 06-01-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF2U View Post
I seem to have better cushioning with faithful use of the supps you mention and added back in Great Lakes (green can) gelatin.

Old 06-01-2019, 12:41 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,054,901 times
My story is very much like Old Fed's. I had the left bone on bone done anterior approach with NO problems whatsoever. The doctor was amazed. So I had the right one done, to prevent the further deterioration that was occuring. That hip took longer to heal, gave me problems with my tendon (Ilios something) and never healed as quickly or completely as I hoped for. I still sleep with a pillow between my legs which helps immensely.

I did have a very good surgeon at a very good hospital who had done tons of these previously.

Old 06-01-2019, 02:33 PM

577 posts, read 493,472 times
I have not, but I have a 51 year old friend that did 4 months ago. Only negatives was one infected stitch. Within 5 days he was walking up stairs.. He is VERY happy with the results.

Old 06-01-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greglovesoldtrucks View Post
I have not, but I have a 51 year old friend that did 4 months ago. Only negatives was one infected stitch. Within 5 days he was walking up stairs.. He is VERY happy with the results.
I believe people do a lot better if they don't have back issues to begin with. I was doing good 5 months post op and then it all went south..Lots of instability here and I"m guessing back has a lot to do with it all too. It's all so complicated, this body we live in.

Old 06-01-2019, 05:18 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,781,117 times
I had the "Posterior" approach done and even asked the surgeon if he did it and if not, why. There's a bigger chance for him to cut the Sciatic Nerve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness