Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2019, 08:54 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times

Advertisements

History:
Birth - 26 weeks - 1.9 ounces - premature (obviously)
Too much oxygen left me with left eye blind, right eye 20/50 with correction

Wore contact lenses until my 30's
Cataracts form in both eyes
Finally found doctor to remove cataract in "good" eye (I was in my 30's)
Surgery done in hospital old fashioned way due to risk

Doctor told to never have anyone take cataract out of blind eye as it would cause good eye to have trauma
(This was late 1992)

Only change from 1993 to Present -
Blind eye's pressure would go up; I would go in and get it lasered; instant relief

Now:
Pressure is 45 to 52
Doctor said no opening now; eye is sealed due to huge cataract
1st doctor put me on drops (those did not work)
Just was put on another drop - prednisone acetate which is a steroid to bring down the inflammation

Doctor says he is trying different strategies because worst case I will lose the eye and have to have a prosthetic eye put in. He said the risk is low for the other eye to have trauma but cannot 100% guarantee anything.

Neither doctor I have gone to is real crazy about removing the cataract in the blind eye. Going the prosthetic eye route seems to be the direction. I would have to be referred to yet another doctor.
These are all opthalamologists.

(1) Would love to hear about anyone's stories and if you know someone who has had similar issues. Doctor said I am a super rare case.

(2) Do you know anyone or you yourself who has a prosthetic eye? (Note: I have read about Lauren Scruggs and would love to talk to her).

(3) If you were on these drops (prednisone acetate), did it help you? (I have read reviews)

(4) Any suggestions for bringing down eye pressure. The good eye is at 12 (normal).

Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 01:01 PM

17,587 posts, read 13,362,412 times
I don't know where you live but here are the top ophthalmology centers in the US:

https://health.usnews.com/best-hospi.../ophthalmology

FIND THE BEST!!!!

Old 07-08-2019, 04:17 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,710,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
i don't know where you live but here are the top ophthalmology centers in the us:

find the best!!!!

Excellent post!

Old 07-08-2019, 04:56 PM

17,587 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:
I don't know where you live but here are the top ophthalmology centers in the US:

FIND THE BEST!!!!

BTW, this is what "Dr. Google" is good for, giving you correct info where to go for excellent treatment. Not quasi-medical cures, of dubious good.

Old 07-08-2019, 09:22 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,329,814 times
Sorry to hear about your blind left eye. You may want to seek an opinion from Dr Hagan, an Ophthalmologist at MedHelp. Hopefully, he can alleviate some of your anxiety.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:33 PM

Smile Thank you!

Quote:

FIND THE BEST!!!!
Well, I'm in South Florida, 1 hour from Miami, and Bascom Palmer is listed as #1.

I have been there a few times and was referred to 2 doctors from them, one of which I still go to.

I didn't realize they were #1.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:34 PM

Smile Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
Sorry to hear about your blind left eye. You may want to seek an opinion from Dr Hagan, an Ophthalmologist at MedHelp. Hopefully, he can alleviate some of your anxiety.
Thanks for the link!

Old 07-09-2019, 08:54 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Since there have been so many advances and improvements in cataract surgery and options to relieve eye pressure in recent years, I would suggest getting re evaluated by a top notch ophthalmologist to get that blind eye re evaluated and an up to the minute treatment plan in order.

Good luck! I don't have your issues but I did have cataracts in both eyes as well as narrow angles which created high eye pressure in both eyes. I had both issues corrected via cataract surgery, one eye and then the other two weeks later. Surgery and subsequent YAG laser surgery was very successful so I am wishing you luck! Please keep us posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness