Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 12:01 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times

Advertisements

I'm having a Moh's surgery to remove a small skin cancer next week. I've had this done once before and am not concerned about the procedure, but I was startled when the dermatologist told me to take no vitamins, no supplements, and no herbs from now till then. Then he added, "Don't eat too many fruits and vegetables either, they have a lot of vitamins!" I about fell over.

I've had various surgeries and procedures and am usually told to avoid aspirin and ibuprofen as well as fish oil beforehand because they cause blood thinning, but that's it. As a matter of fact, I do take several vitamins, supplements and herbs and I'm not happy about missing them all for over a week. And to tell someone to cut back on fruits and vegetables just seems bizarre. Has anyone heard of such a blanket ban, and is there any reason for it other than that the dermatologist didn't want to bother specifying which substances could potentially cause a bleeding problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 12:26 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'm having a Moh's surgery to remove a small skin cancer next week. I've had this done once before and am not concerned about the procedure, but I was startled when the dermatologist told me to take no vitamins, no supplements, and no herbs from now till then. Then he added, "Don't eat too many fruits and vegetables either, they have a lot of vitamins!" I about fell over.

I've had various surgeries and procedures and am usually told to avoid aspirin and ibuprofen as well as fish oil beforehand because they cause blood thinning, but that's it. As a matter of fact, I do take several vitamins, supplements and herbs and I'm not happy about missing them all for over a week. And to tell someone to cut back on fruits and vegetables just seems bizarre. Has anyone heard of such a blanket ban, and is there any reason for it other than that the dermatologist didn't want to bother specifying which substances could potentially cause a bleeding problem?
We always have to follow the advise of our doctors or should anyway, but I agree with you, that does sound a bit strange.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:30 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
I was always advised to stop taking anything that was not medically required (Rx) before surgery, and no alcohol, but never told not to eat fruits and veggies.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-10-2019, 12:35 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Maybe the doc is working to cover all bases re: liability. I don't go to derms often but never heard this one.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:38 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
I've been told to stop vitamins (don't take any supplements) before but never cut down on fruits and veggies. If that's what the doctor recommended, I'd do it. It's only for a very short period and I can't imagine would have any long-term effects.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:44 PM

17,587 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Because of the specific nature of a MOHS, there could be a lot of bleeding.

Anything remotely related to blood thinners are stopped before the MOHS

Old 07-10-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I've been told to stop vitamins (don't take any supplements) before but never cut down on fruits and veggies. If that's what the doctor recommended, I'd do it. It's only for a very short period and I can't imagine would have any long-term effects.
I won't take any of the supplements etc.... I know nothing much will happen in only a week if I don't take them. The fruits & vegetables are more difficult to cut back on because they are literally about 60% of my diet. I don't want to eat just meat and grains for a week!

Old 07-10-2019, 03:06 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I won't take any of the supplements etc.... I know nothing much will happen in only a week if I don't take them. The fruits & vegetables are more difficult to cut back on because they are literally about 60% of my diet. I don't want to eat just meat and grains for a week!
I can understand the "blanket" command not to use vitamins, supplements, herbs" because its simpler than trying to sort through every patient's list of all the possibilities. And, as you mentioned, going without them for a short time isn't going to have a big effect. The no veggies or fruit does seem weird though.

Maybe a clarifying question to the doc about this? Explain your diet and ask if there are specific ones to avoid, why, and what others would be of less concern? Some might reduce clotting factors, affect an inflammatory response, reduce the effectiveness of some topical or oral antibiotic they'll use during or after the procedure, raise or lower blood pressure?

Old 07-10-2019, 03:23 PM

Well, he didn't say "no" fruits and vegetables, he said "not too many." Whatever that means! Probably what I am currently eating is too many, though.

Old 07-10-2019, 03:26 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
These are said to be blood thinners, I know grapes are as grape Seed ex thins blood.

https://healthfully.com/355731-what-...the-blood.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness