Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2019, 08:52 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times

Advertisements

I find, as probably others do, that as I age, nagging annoying sleep problems start to accumulate.

I have to wake up to pee a 2-3 times a night which has been going on for 15 years. Gotten used to it.

But one of the things I really used to enjoy was sleeping in on weekends. I used to be able to sleep in until 10 or 12PM. Sometimes I would stay up watching movies until 4AM and sleep in until 12PM.

Gradually I found that I could no longer do that. I'd go to sleep at 3AM and then wake up at 8AM and not be able to go back to sleep.

So, I started going to sleep the same time I do during the week ... 12AM - 1AM. My typical sleep hours during the week are 1AM - 8AM, 7 hours of sleep, and thats fine for me.

Recently, what I find is that I'll wake up typically an hour early on Sat or Sun and not be able to go back to sleep. So, wake up at 7, and feel a little tired all day.

I can get through the day allright, but it's annoying. What's more is I would really like a day every now and then where I can just sleep in ... like 10 hours.

I don't have this problem during the week. I have read somewhere it is because during the week, you don't want to go to work, so your mind desires to keep sleeping. But during the weekend, you want to get up and maximize your time, so its hard to go back to sleep.

This seems accurate, but doesn't help me in any way.

Has anybody had this problem? I've heard that as you get older, you just wake up early and can't go back to sleep and have to deal with it. That just seems like a nightmare.

Any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 09:37 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,316,274 times
Sleep in? I have never had that pleasure and can't say I miss it because I never had it to begin with.

When I was a freshman in high school my mom had her last child, a beautiful baby boy. I won't bore you (or anyone else here) with the details, which, sadly, I am apt to do.

Dad would come to our bedroom door every morning (3:30 am) for me to go upstairs to be with the baby (mother was not due home from her night shift until 7:30 am. I was awake before he got to the door and on my way upstairs).

Fast forward to adulthood...marriage, children and dogs. I have since had my 2 shelties adapted to the lifestyle of early am walks. First meal of the day 4 am, second meal of the day 4 pm and two walks every day at 4ish am and 4ish pm. Like the mailman and regardless of the weather we are out there.

I am sure even after the dogs are gone I will still wake up at 4 am as I am on automatic pilot at this point and I am in my 60's. Far too late to acquire a different sleep routine, will never happen. Well at least not until I go "to sleep" permanently.

I wish you the best in working this out for your weekend pleasure. I don't have it but I do "get" it.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:31 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
I would try and go to sleep earlier so you can get a full night's rest. It might be hard to adjust to, but its probably your best bet. if you cannot do that I would get blackout curtains and earplugs. I normally get up early, sleeping in is 7:30. In a hotel though with blackout curtains sometimes I will sleep past 8:00 am.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:55 PM

497 posts, read 422,963 times
Yes, something like that. I agree that our body is changing and have these thoughts and trying to implement something a lot better. I would like to say that I never made a pattern to be up so late at night and sleep in that you wake up at 12. That is a terrible lifestyle and affects your health.

I changed my diet and still trying to drink decent amount of water. If I suffer trouble from falling asleep, I change my routine to make sure I go for a walk, even if it is brief, right after dinner, then an hour before I want to get to bed, I slowly prepare this way:
1. Do my usual beauty routine, wash, scrub, tone, use my beauty device, apply my retinol
2. Do my beauty body routine, apply creams with AHA, foot cream
3. Get my note book and write down my gratitude
4. Use my relaxing pillow spray on my sheets
5. Have a novel or ipad to view relaxing video/music

That should do it for me. As for waking up in the middle of the night, sometimes I grab my notebook and write down my thoughts. It could be random stuff with bad grammer and sentence structure, use my relaxing pillow spray and that should do it.

I think diet and exercise is a huge part of it.

If you end up being tired once you wake up early in the morning, eat healthy breakfast, go for a brief walk, go home and have a brief nap. That may help.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:03 PM

2,040 posts, read 4,555,611 times
I recently started a job that I have to start at 7am. I've always worked in offices with start times between 8 and 9. I have a hard time making myself get up at 5:30-6:00am to get ready for work. I can't seem to make myself go to bed earlier (even though I'm in bed before 11pm) and I do wake up a couple of times a night. All I want to do is sleep in on work days. However, the weekend rolls around and I'm up by 6:30am. Try as I might, I can't sleep in. So frustrating!

Old 08-26-2019, 09:25 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,460,880 times
We get up really early during the week. Our cat sleeps with us. Therefore on weekends, there is no sleeping in. She gets up at the early hours and starts banging the blinds and clacking the tassels on the blinds (our bed is up next to the blinds). If we spray her with a squirt bottle she excessively cleans herself and throws up on the bed. So we just get up.

No sleeping in for us, ever.

Old 08-27-2019, 11:50 AM

774 posts, read 1,049,553 times
Sleeping in for me is if I make it past 5 AM. Doesn't matter if its a weekday or the weekend, I simply can't sleep in. Even if I'v stayed up late past midnight or so, I'm still up around 4 AM.

I've just accepted that as my normal and go on with my life.

Old 09-01-2019, 04:52 AM

4 posts, read 2,446 times
maybe you just need to try not to think negative before going to bed and drink soothing tea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness