Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 01:10 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Do yo have sciatica?-- ie- pain, paresthesia &/or weakness in any of the places the sciatic nerve goes (hip to toes)?....If not, then the bulging discs seen on MRI aren't part of the problem.

Pain in the back (presumably we're talking about your lower back) is not mediated by the sciatic nerve. Most back pain comes from arthritis in the spine, or more usually, from an imbalance in muscle tone of the psoas &/or paraspinous muscles comparing L to the R side.

Proper treatment consists of PT (exercise/massage) to loosen up the tight ones and tighten up the loose ones, to state it simplistically.

Intra-spinal injections of cortisone +/- lidocaine can help in the acute case of herniated disc, but has less effect after the fact.
No sciatic. That is what I thought and so did the doctor at first. I believe you think you know the problem and maybe you do, but I have to take the advise of my doctor. thanks for your help though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 01:17 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Agree with this.

My spine surgeon was the one who suggested acupuncture to me and I had about 5-6 treatments. They actually helped with the pain a little bit, but only for a day or two.

Honestly, the only thing that resolved my disc herniation and my pain from the associated nerve root compression was surgery. I wish I'd done it sooner. I opted for surgery after 8 months of doing PT, getting 2 Epidural Spinal injections, seeing a chiropractor and doing acupuncture for a couple of months in the hopes of avoiding surgery. I do think the PT helped enlighten me to the fact that I was weaker on my affected side than I realized and start me down the path of focusing more on strengthening my core (although I've always worked out and thought I was strong). I really think the PT and my history of exercising (which I continue to do) was a big factor in my recovery and positive outcome.
Thanks. As for being weaker on one side than the other I think that is one of my many problems. I have noticed I sit sideways leaning to the right more than the left and it is the right side that gives me the most discomfort. I have noticed even walking if I always put more weight on my left side I seem to hurt less. As for having surgery, I have a slight problem with that: first I have mixed feelings about surgery after age 80; I am the only driver in the house, so surgery and then PT would be a really hard tackle and I don't like to be dependent of my friends and family. When I had my knee done, 6 years ago. I was not the only driver and things went very well. I was glad I decided to have it done before instead of later. When my doctor said: the decision is yours but you will have to have it done sooner or later. I decided on sooner.

Old 08-26-2019, 01:28 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,182,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Thanks. As for being weaker on one side than the other I think that is one of my many problems. I have noticed I sit sideways leaning to the right more than the left and it is the right side that gives me the most discomfort. I have noticed even walking if I always put more weight on my left side I seem to hurt less. As for having surgery, I have a slight problem with that: first I have mixed feelings about surgery after age 80; I am the only driver in the house, so surgery and then PT would be a really hard tackle and I don't like to be dependent of my friends and family. When I had my knee done, 6 years ago. I was not the only driver and things went very well. I was glad I decided to have it done before instead of later. When my doctor said: the decision is yours but you will have to have it done sooner or later. I decided on sooner.
When my left side weakness was pointed out to me, I was very surprised, and a bit humbled, TBH. I've worked out 4-5 days for years, and I'm very lean and toned and I'm in my 40's. I thought I was stronger than I apparently was.

As far as any surgery, I'm certainly not suggesting you need that. It should only be considered when the indications are there. There have been some pretty good threads on this recently (and maybe you participated). Some really good posts by a user named townshend, who is a PA who has worked with spine surgeons before. I'll look for a link.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 08-26-2019 at 01:50 PM..

Old 08-26-2019, 01:32 PM

25,567 posts, read 17,271,154 times
Quote:
OK, I am going to keep this short and simple if I can. Lots of back issues, can hardly walk some days. About 3 years ago had X Rays: it showed mostly mild Arthritis. fast forward: really getting bad so had an MRI last week. Results showed same condition plus bulging disks and some nerve growing together. Shots have been suggested. I would have one and 2 weeks later another. Have any of you had experience with the shots? someone has suggested I see a Chiopractor (spelling) but I am thinking I should try the shots first.
I have used chiropractors since '85 and swear by them. Even DW's neurosurgeon encourages the use of chiropractors.

But they do not treat bulging discs.

Old 08-26-2019, 01:51 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
OK, I am going to keep this short and simple if I can. Lots of back issues, can hardly walk some days. About 3 years ago had X Rays: it showed mostly mild Arthritis. fast forward: really getting bad so had an MRI last week. Results showed same condition plus bulging disks and some nerve growing together. Shots have been suggested. I would have one and 2 weeks later another. Have any of you had experience with the shots? someone has suggested I see a Chiopractor (spelling) but I am thinking I should try the shots first.
Yes, nmnita, I have had them, and each time they lasted a couple of years. I never required a series of 2 or 3, just one. I’m having another in September. I am talking about an epidural, which is done by a radiologist who looks at a screen and targets the shot to the offending nerve. I would not bother with the chiropractor.

I have seemingly the same malady as you do. Arthritis in the spine, and a few bulging disks that are pinching a nerve. My pain is not in my spine, but halfway between my spine and hip.

The procedure is done with local numbing and is fairly painless. It takes about 15-20 minutes. You can’t drive yourself home. My results were immediate relief.

Old 08-26-2019, 04:11 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,384,679 times
Read this book: Crooked: Outwitting the Back Pain Industry and Getting on the Road to Recovery

Old 08-26-2019, 06:05 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
My husband just had the steroid injections into his neck vertebrae. He's not here so I'm doing this from memory.

He rolled an ATV which caused OA to his neck, which was also pinching the nerves. Very painful and restrictive, worsening over the 4 years since his accident.

They did an MRI, and also used xray (?) during the procedure to guide the needle from the side of his neck.

Within a week he was feeling 70% (or more) better. He is back to lifting weights and such.

Hope you can get the same results or better.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-27-2019, 01:51 AM

774 posts, read 1,048,677 times
Quote:
I just know it takes an hour of prep before the shot and I have to have 2 of them two weeks apart.
No cortisone shot I've ever had has taken an hour of prep before the shot. Its usually about a quick as a flu shot or any other vaccine. Even my RFA didn't take very long. Now I'm curious as to what type of shot you're getting.

Old 08-27-2019, 04:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Quote:
Sounds like what i've got,MRI and CT scans sugest misaligned discs and arthritus of the spine,walking has become a real challenge and i now own a walker, i've had chronic lower back pain which cortesone shots prove inefective,my physio has given me some exercises to do but also ineffective,am now trying a portable tens device https://www.google.ca/search?source=...31.Sx3kgVdAkbw which gives some minor relief but its not a cure all. Also the doctor prescribed some Oxycodone for pain relief which i use on dialysis days as sitting in a chair for 4 hours plays h ell on ones back .this getting old really sucks

Old 08-27-2019, 05:59 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
No cortisone shot I've ever had has taken an hour of prep before the shot. Its usually about a quick as a flu shot or any other vaccine. Even my RFA didn't take very long. Now I'm curious as to what type of shot you're getting.
I think she’s having an epidural, which is not like a cortisone shot in a joint, which takes seconds. It’s an X-ray guided injection, so they can get it in the exact right place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness