Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 07:59 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times

Advertisements

"Progressive" (multi-focal) contacts took me about 15 SECONDS to get used to, but I'd been wearing regular contacts for years. My ophthalmologist was amazed as she was trying to talk me into using one eye for far correction and the other for close. But my contacts have far, close, and midrange which I think is necessary for optimal computer use. Expensive, but no adjustment period and no horrible readers to make me feel old!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2019, 03:27 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
"Progressive" (multi-focal) contacts took me about 15 SECONDS to get used to, but I'd been wearing regular contacts for years. My ophthalmologist was amazed as she was trying to talk me into using one eye for far correction and the other for close. But my contacts have far, close, and midrange which I think is necessary for optimal computer use. Expensive, but no adjustment period and no horrible readers to make me feel old!
I had a horrible time with multifocal contacts. I tried most of them and almost all of them make me sick. I ended up switching back to single vision because they move around too much in my eyes to work well. I think my eyes are too dry.

Old 11-06-2019, 05:26 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I had a horrible time with multifocal contacts. I tried most of them and almost all of them make me sick. I ended up switching back to single vision because they move around too much in my eyes to work well. I think my eyes are too dry.
I can see where that would be a problem...and my doc always comments that my "placement and alignment" are good, meaning they don't move much so that must be why they work for me. I guess you're saying you tried several different brands? Do you possibly have some astigmatism as well? - there are only a couple brands that work with that.

Old 11-06-2019, 07:59 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,860,170 times
I had progressives for several years before my cataract surgery. Now, I just use cheap readers which is great. The progressives I had were from a doc and cost over $500. Granted, they were Silhouettes from Austria and that upped the price. Very light weight. I would now take the script to a discounter or Warby Parker. There is too much markup.

Old 11-06-2019, 09:08 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,053,725 times
It is hard your first time. I got mine through Costco and they weren't right. They remade them and they weren't right. I tried lens crafter also. They all wanted to put too big of a jump between the near and the far. In my case +2.5. I experimented with Zenni at $60ish dollars a pair. Found out that +1 was spot on for me. Recently my reading started to get a little blurry so I pulled out my experimental pairs from zenni and found that +1.25 is now right.

I then ordered three new pairs of progressives from Zenni. I only intended to order one but they had great new frames for narrow set eyes and I found three I had to have. At $45-$60ish dollars a pair it is a good deal. I also found that if you get the more basic, non-compressed lenses, the visual acuity is better than if you get the thinner lightweight compressed lenses.

The basic lenses are the:
1.50 Digital Free Form Progressive (No-line multi-focal) $27.95

If you get one of the $9.95 frames, the $4.95 anti reflective coating and the standard shipping of $4.95 the total is only $47.80 for progressives. I found the quality to be top notch. If you want polished edges they will do it for free if you ask for it in the notes section of your order.

If your progressives make you dizzy or sick try reducing the jump from near to far. It worked for me. When they are right they feel just like your younger eyes did.

I also ordered identical pairs with the more compressed lenses and the 1.5 Digital Free Form mentioned above. The more they compress the lens the less sharp details are. My prescription is recommended for one of the midrange compressed lens they offer but I always elect to get the 1.5s as I'd rather have the best vision.

Old 11-06-2019, 10:04 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I can see where that would be a problem...and my doc always comments that my "placement and alignment" are good, meaning they don't move much so that must be why they work for me. I guess you're saying you tried several different brands? Do you possibly have some astigmatism as well? - there are only a couple brands that work with that.
I have a very minimal astigmatism and just wear regular contacts with no astigmatism. It is not bothersome. The issue is that I have allergies and during certain times of the year since I have moved to IL, they seem to move a lot and give me headaches. I do much more computer work at this job than I did at my old job. I have tried almost every brand, no astigmatism. Most make me feel like I am going to vomit. I have been wearing progressive glasses since 2005 and contacts since they first came out. They discontinued the first type that worked well for me and the subsequent types have failed.

Old 11-06-2019, 12:05 PM

6,419 posts, read 4,913,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by localinsight View Post
Hi everyone
I did a search for eyeglasses on this forum and was pleased to find so much interest in progressive lenses. I do need to give them a try, my 57 year old eyes are definitely tired!!!
Not uncommonly, money is an option but I don't want to save some money and end up falling down stairs. Since this will be my first pair, I won't know if something is wrong with the glasses or if I just have to get used to it.
I am thinking of getting an optometrist to do the exam and hopefully get s/he to write the RX with the PD on it. Do you think it's a bad idea to try an online place, like Zenni for my first pair? After all the problems people report about fittings in eyeglass shops, I am concerned about mail order. If I had a single correction, I would definitely go with Zenni.
Any ideas, comments. Thanks.
I think ordering progressives online is hit or miss depending on your Rx (prescription), your tolerance for prism and how fussy you are. Number 1, Progressives require a monocular PD since your eyes are not equidistant from your nose in most cases (hopefully your Optometrist will provide you with it). Number 2 there are as many Progressives as you can think of. Some are good others not so good. Number 3 the online places use a standard seg height (distance below your pupil) which may or may not work for you. I was in the biz for 45 years and I could not get used to Progressives and I tried numerous times (at n/c of course). If you currently wear a lined bifocal getting used to Progressives can be problematic. My wife can wear any Progressive with no problems ever (not purchased online). If you try the online route just be prepared to potentially have problems and need to go the local Optical route.

Old 11-07-2019, 05:23 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,486,047 times
Thanks again for all the advice and experienced shared here. I set up an appt with an optician at LensCrafters, which is $55 with the AARP discount. Both Walmart and Costco were more expensive. From there I will do a price comparison between all 3 places. LensCrafters base (cheap frames, no coatings) pair is on special for $169 until the end of the year. Will let you all know about final prices and how they feel.

Old 11-09-2019, 11:42 AM

1,264 posts, read 667,198 times
Good luck, hope you have success!

Old 11-09-2019, 05:09 PM

3,438 posts, read 2,409,977 times
My first pair of glasses I was maybe 11 years old for astigmatism. Hated them, stopped wearing them after 6 months. Fast forward maybe 30 or so years later needed reading glasses. Got cheaters. Increased strength twice over a few years time. Finally got my first adult pair of glasses. Progressive tri-focals with astigmatism correction. Took a few weeks to get used to them but glad I went that route. First pair got from non-chain optometrist. Second at a chain, hated that pair. Third from an in-law who is an optometrist a few towns away. He was able to pop a new Rx into my first frames. Those frames are getting really wobbly at the hinges and I'm due for a new Rx and I moved to another state so will probably try Walmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness