Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 10:08 PM

17,594 posts, read 13,372,722 times

Advertisements

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/20...t-believe-hype

Quote:
If you experience joint pain when you walk or move, promises for a quick and inexpensive cure can be hard to resist. But don’t believe the hype. And don’t assume the people you see in the ads are real.
Unlike drugs, joint pain supplements are not evaluated or reviewed by FDA for safety and effectiveness, and supplements claiming to reduce pain and rebuild cartilage might not be proven to work.

Don't believe everything you read or hear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2019, 11:58 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,289,784 times
seems people do though....millions of steroid injections into spines every year..none approved by the FDA though.

Old 12-06-2019, 05:02 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/20...t-believe-hype

Don't believe everything you read or hear
Many studies have been performed on the effectiveness of fish oil to help with joint pain with RA and it has generally found to be well tolerated and effective. It seems to be equally effective with OA.

Old 12-06-2019, 07:18 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,191,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
seems people do though....millions of steroid injections into spines every year..none approved by the FDA though.
A lot of this is done per insurance company directive though. I'm almost certain my insurance wouldn't have approved me going once, and only once, to the spine surgeon and then promptly getting surgery without me trying PT and injections first. They're lower in cost, invasiveness and risk and for a great many people, injections (and/or ablations) are effective. The steroid is usually accompanied by a pain relief agent to numb the nerve in question, so in that regard, there is a diagnostic value as well as a therapeutic one. If you get pain relief for even 12-24 hours, they know they've isolated the problem, which is important to know going forward.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 12-06-2019 at 07:45 AM..

Old 12-06-2019, 10:35 AM

37,472 posts, read 61,423,512 times
I have bursitis in both of my elbows. I know this is not technically a 'joint' but the tensions that go over the joint.

I have found that Krill oil at 3,000mg will make the swelling go down and relieve the pain.

Normally I take 1,000mg as a maintenance dose, but sometimes when I do work that enflames my bursitis, I will need to up my dose to 3,000mg for a few days.

Old 12-06-2019, 11:42 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,548,997 times
My fifteen year old dog stopped limping and finds it much easier to jump up onto the sofa since she's been taking Cosequin, a glucosamine/chondroitin MSM HA supplement.

Old 12-06-2019, 01:47 PM

9,870 posts, read 7,743,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
My fifteen year old dog stopped limping and finds it much easier to jump up onto the sofa since she's been taking Cosequin, a glucosamine/chondroitin MSM HA supplement.
I'm older than your dog and I also have good results with glucosamine chondroitin.

Old 12-06-2019, 05:38 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,579,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have bursitis in both of my elbows. I know this is not technically a 'joint' but the tensions that go over the joint.

I have found that Krill oil at 3,000mg will make the swelling go down and relieve the pain.

Normally I take 1,000mg as a maintenance dose, but sometimes when I do work that enflames my bursitis, I will need to up my dose to 3,000mg for a few days.
I get bursitis occasionally. I find that taking 10,000 IU's of vitamin D3 daily over 3 to 5 days will knock it out. I've seen advice that says to take it for up to 10 days but no more to avoid toxic buildup in the liver. For arthritis, there are recommendations to take 2,000 IU's daily and perhaps as high as 4,000 IU's.

I also use hydrogen peroxide mouthwash to reduce the bacteria and reduce rheumatoid arthritis. If the RA is from autoimmunity, it won't do any good. There are warnings to limit H2O2 use since long-term use hurts tooth enamel.

Old 12-06-2019, 06:32 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
Go read some of the threads on the Retirement Forum about what works and what does not. They use glucosamine and chondroitin mostly but they discuss the different brands and what works best. I've heard from dancers who took plain old Knox gelatin and it worked for them. I use amino acids, Lysine and Proline combination and it works. Not saying that these rebuild very much cartilage but they stop the pain within a few days, as I've said before. I cited the scientific evidence in one thread but am not going back now to find it. Obviously, it's not a HUGE amount of a difference, but evidence points to it helping a little bit, probably enabling the cartilage to rebuild a little bit. Sometimes that's all you need.

Old 12-06-2019, 06:39 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,488,538 times
I have minor OA in both knees. Orthopedic surgeon said he couldn’t help. My family doctor’s mom uses Move Free and said tp that supplement helped her. I use it and if I go without, knees start hurting. I walk at least a mile a day, often more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness