Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2019, 10:00 AM

177 posts, read 130,625 times

Advertisements

Hi all...a few months ago I posted asking people if they had a THA done via the anterior approach as I was considering this approach. My orthopedic surgeon did not perform this type of surgery, only the posterior approach, and I ultimately decided to go down this alley as this was his specialty and he is a well-renowned surgeon in my area.

I am almost 2 weeks post-op and do have some concerns which I will discuss with him at my follow-up appointment. First off, I was told by my surgeon that if I wanted to have less chance of a dislocation that there was a great possibility that I would be left with a small leg length discrepancy. He showed me how small it would be and I was fine with that. Not a big deal in order to have the prosthesis seated properly. However, this discrepancy is more along the lines of almost 2 inches! Standing on my operated hip I can freely swing my left foot off the ground, and when standing with feet together my right knee points inward and you can definitely see a major discrepancy.

I have had PT come to my house since the next day I arrived home. The first PT was shocked and said "Oh no, this is not acceptable, I will call your doctor Monday morning about this." From then on, I had other PT's who said it was nothing to worry about, the exercises would help bring this about to a more normal level. At first I was hopeful, but at this point I am not so sure. Yesterday the PT said, well you may have to have an orthotic built up shoe. I DID NOT sign up to wear an orthotic shoe, I signed up for a small discrepancy that I would use a small insert to make even. I live in Florida and live in flip-flops. How do I wear flip-flops with an orthotic device?

Despite doing exercises daily and walking daily, I am still in a lot of pain. I was only given so many pain medications so have been weaning myself down in anticipation.

Has anyone else experienced a major leg length discrepancy? How long until the pain is bearable without any form of medication on-board?

Thanks for any insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2019, 10:33 AM

3,445 posts, read 2,420,258 times
I haven't had this procedure but I have had joint surgeries on my knees. Not joint replacements. But even this outpatient surgery had me swollen for well over a month before everything looked and felt more like normal again.

A hip ball and socket replacement sounds like a lot more stuff going on in there than what I had. So maybe it's just too early to tell if your difference in length is permanent or not. Maybe give it a couple more weeks and if there's no improvement, or it gets worse, then there'd be call for louder concern?

You might not be able to tell that there's even any swelling since that joint is deep inside and not right next to the skin (like knees are).

Old 12-16-2019, 12:04 PM

674 posts, read 609,143 times
PT here. A little leg-length discrepancy (LLD) is not unusual right after a hip replacement, but in my experience it disappears gradually, after a few weeks/months. 2 inches are a lot though...

Old 12-16-2019, 12:27 PM

Thats my concern. I was told and expected a small less than 1 inch discrepancy. But this is quite noticeable. Do you think over time it will at least gradually lessen to 1 inch or less?

Old 12-16-2019, 01:46 PM

674 posts, read 609,143 times
I think the LLD will decrease over the next few weeks. By how much is hard to say. Did you have any LLD prior to the surgery? Most of us are not completely symmetrical and one of our limbs is often larger or longer than its counterpart. But unless the difference is significant, we don't notice it.

Old 12-16-2019, 01:51 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,351,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
PT here. A little leg-length discrepancy (LLD) is not unusual right after a hip replacement, but in my experience it disappears gradually, after a few weeks/months. 2 inches are a lot though...

Yes, my "shorter" leg lengthened after my hip replacement. I had terrible IT problems, from the shortening, before it and that cleared up as well.

Old 12-16-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
I think the LLD will decrease over the next few weeks. By how much is hard to say. Did you have any LLD prior to the surgery? Most of us are not completely symmetrical and one of our limbs is often larger or longer than its counterpart. But unless the difference is significant, we don't notice it.
When I went over this with my surgeon beforehand in the office as I was on the table he said "your leg lengths are even right now." He then proceeded to tell me about the almost certain possibility that they would be unequal after the surgery by a "smidge" which I was fine with if it meant that the prosthesis would have less chance of dislocating.

I do hope that this gets better over time, I realize it is not even 2 weeks post-op yet, but I just was not anticipating such a difference.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!

Old 12-16-2019, 03:34 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JF2U View Post
Thats my concern. I was told and expected a small less than 1 inch discrepancy. But this is quite noticeable. Do you think over time it will at least gradually lessen to 1 inch or less?
Hard to say. It will reduce over time as you bear weight on the new joint more and more. You will also unconsciously compensate for it in your gait too. I also have some discrepancy but never measured it that closely. The surgeon warned me this is quite common as it is really hard to "predict" exactly how the implant will seat. Didn't even notice it after a couple of months. If I look down at my thighs while sitting I can see there's a difference in leg length, but it doesn't affect my gait at all. Hope it resolves for you!

Old 12-16-2019, 03:47 PM

I guess time will tell. I do feel more relieved now. Thank you so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness