Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 07:49 AM

439 posts, read 289,890 times

Advertisements

I am 34 and want a vasectomy, yet many have an issue with it. I don't want any damn kids ever, yet everyone I have spoken about it refuses to do it. Aren't we supposed to live in a world where people aren't judged about this kind of stuff? If a girl on her 18th birthday asks to get her tubes tied shouldn't that be fine? As a man that has never been married or had kids at 34 shouldn't I be able to have a damn vasectomy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2019, 07:55 AM

2,533 posts, read 3,098,493 times
Have you tried getting a referral from Planned Parenthood?

Old 12-12-2019, 07:59 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,237,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
I am 34 and want a vasectomy, yet many have an issue with it. I don't want any damn kids ever, yet everyone I have spoken about it refuses to do it. Aren't we supposed to live in a world where people aren't judged about this kind of stuff? If a girl on her 18th birthday asks to get her tubes tied shouldn't that be fine? As a man that has never been married or had kids at 34 shouldn't I be able to have a damn vasectomy?
Should be, but it's not. Lots of doctors have very firm opinions on a person's family planning.

Old 12-12-2019, 08:10 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,019,200 times
How many doctors have you gone to? You said many of them have an issue with it, which implies that SOME have been willing. Go to the ones that are willing?

Also, if your doctors are associated with a Catholic or otherwise religious affiliated hospital, it might be their policy to not do anything that would hinder reproduction.

(Maybe. Pure speculation on that aspect.)

Old 12-12-2019, 08:23 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,034,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
How many doctors have you gone to? You said many of them have an issue with it, which implies that SOME have been willing. Go to the ones that are willing?

Also, if your doctors are associated with a Catholic or otherwise religious affiliated hospital, it might be their policy to not do anything that would hinder reproduction.

(Maybe. Pure speculation on that aspect.)
This was brought up on the radio show last night...and their phone lines LIT UP with incoming calls about individual cases where both men and women were refused tubal ligation and the big "V".

Chances are, if you Google this subject, doctors are more and more discouraging young people, that don't have kids, to NOT get snipped/tied-off. Something about thinking, "Oh, you'll likely change your mind in the future"

I think it's because they don't want to have to deal with you reversing it in case you change you mind about having kids later. That statistically, that if something like that is reversed, it'll decrease your chances are getting pregnant.

There was a time where it was only a woman issue, but not apparently, the doctors are hitting both sexes with refusals.

Old 12-12-2019, 08:25 AM

14,300 posts, read 11,684,342 times
At 34, I think you should be able to get a vasectomy if you want one. But doctors are understandably very reluctant to sterilize an 18-year-old girl just because she says she won't want kids. I don't think the two situations are comparable.

Old 12-12-2019, 11:01 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,483,047 times
Try a different dr.

Buddy of mine is single and without kids and got one done.

Old 12-12-2019, 12:02 PM

1,494 posts, read 1,671,074 times
They are hesitant enough to do it to people who have kids already. They give psychological tests to make sure you won't freak out afterwards if you gain a mental block that stops you getting an erection. Seems that enough doctors got sued for giving bad vasectomies that were fine but the patients had mental issues.

You don't mention being married, so they probably don't want you coming back in five years for an attempted reversal when you find a woman who really wants your children. Or going around having unprotected sex because you might take less care if you can't get lumped with child maintenance.

You'll probably be able to find a doctor eventually, but it might not be easy.

Old 12-12-2019, 12:51 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,998,620 times
When I was pregnant with my second child, I told my obstetrician I wanted to get my tubes tied after the baby was born. He refused to do it. Actually, what he said was (and I quote), "Let's let you get a few more miles on you before we do that."

However, my husband's doctor was perfectly willing to do a vasectomy on him at that time. Go figure.

OP, keep looking. You'll find a doctor who will do it.

Old 12-12-2019, 02:40 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
I could understand them being hesitant to do it on a 24 year old, but 34? Good grief, in a few years you’ll technically be old enough to be a grandfather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness