Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 10:37 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
I am 34 and want a vasectomy, yet many have an issue with it. I don't want any damn kids ever, yet everyone I have spoken about it refuses to do it. Aren't we supposed to live in a world where people aren't judged about this kind of stuff? If a girl on her 18th birthday asks to get her tubes tied shouldn't that be fine? As a man that has never been married or had kids at 34 shouldn't I be able to have a damn vasectomy?

It's ridiculous that a 34 year old adult can't get a vasectomy on demand but a minor can get an abortion without parental involvement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2019, 05:31 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,198,159 times
When my husband and I were both 22 , we had a child. I almost died after child birth, so we both decided we would not have any more children. Our son was ill operated on at 6 weeks. A mistake was made during surgery which left him ill til he was 4.

We knew we didnt want any more children, and were told no to a vasectomy because our son was ill if he died we would want another child. We told them you can't substitute children and I would never go thru pregnancy again since I had such a difficult time.

We had to go to a board at the hospital for consideration, our sons Pediatrician was our helper he knew what we had gone thru and helped us. We have never regretted our decision. But they thought at 22 we were too immature.

We both took care of our brothers and sisters and felt like we had already raised kids. One child was enough for us. This was 41 years ago.

Old 12-17-2019, 06:41 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
I am 34 and want a vasectomy, yet many have an issue with it. I don't want any damn kids ever, yet everyone I have spoken about it refuses to do it. Aren't we supposed to live in a world where people aren't judged about this kind of stuff? If a girl on her 18th birthday asks to get her tubes tied shouldn't that be fine? As a man that has never been married or had kids at 34 shouldn't I be able to have a damn vasectomy?
Word to the wise - there is no "supposed to". Either a doctor will do it, or he/she won't do it. Don't read more into it.

Old 12-21-2019, 12:38 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,524,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Every adult who wants to be surgically sterilized should be able to do it. Period. No one else, not even a spouse, should have a say in that unless there is some medical reason that would make the procedure unsafe.
I agree as long as they sign something (and courts uphold it ), that says i understand this is a permanent surgery and that i am unlikely to be able to ever have kids in the future. I give up my right to sue if i decide i want kids.

Old 01-21-2020, 02:05 AM

439 posts, read 290,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Because it's permanent, and you don't NEED a vasectomy not to have kids. So it's possible there's something going on with you mentally. Why do you think having a vasectomy is the only way not to have kids? Do you understand the risks? There is risk w/every invasive procedure.

As for having kids, do you realize that insisting on not having them will narrow the list of women who will want to marry you? Or are you married already?

If I were a dr., I wouldn't tie the tubes of an 18 yr old woman, either. Although that procedure is sometimes reversible. That's because 18 is far too young to make a decision for herself @ 45. She hasn't had enough life experience. Her brain isn't even fully formed yet. AND there is risk w/the procedure. There ARE things that can be done instead of tying tubes that involve less cost and less risk.
Because I don't want any damn kids and know it. I also don't want to ever worry about paying any damn child support. Sure you can say "that's selfish" but that's one of the reasons I want one. Anyway, my girlfriend is 44 and not surprisingly doesn't want anymore kids which I am totally fine with. Fact of the matter is if you're an adult, man or woman, you should be able to either get a vasectomy/tubes tied whenever you want. The whole "well, they worry about getting sued" is a load of horse dung, you're an adult, these pretentious a holes should just be all "Okay I'm on it!" instead of screwing around.

Like really, for me to find a Dr willing to do it would it be more likely to find one willing to do it if they asked why I wanted one I replied with: "Because if I have kids I'll be very mean and abusive to them"? Good fn grief!

Old 01-21-2020, 03:16 AM

7,261 posts, read 5,139,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
When I was pregnant with my second child, I told my obstetrician I wanted to get my tubes tied after the baby was born. He refused to do it. Actually, what he said was (and I quote), "Let's let you get a few more miles on you before we do that."

Your doc was probably looking forward to putting a new addition on his house. He was protecting his income.

OP-- Ever hear the expression "Don't burn bridges?"

Many of us don't even start having kids until we reach your age. There are other, non-permanent ways to accomplish your goal for the next few yrs. Make allowances for a change of heart.

Old 01-22-2020, 06:52 PM

2,264 posts, read 972,524 times
Quote:
. . . I also don't want to ever worry about paying any damn child support. Sure you can say "that's selfish" but that's one of the reasons I want one. . . .
They also say that a bachelor is a man who cheated some woman out of a divorce.

Old 01-22-2020, 06:55 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
We band our goats and their nuts eventually fall off. DIY!

Old 01-22-2020, 08:44 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:

Like really, for me to find a Dr willing to do it would it be more likely to find one willing to do it if they asked why I wanted one I replied with: "Because if I have kids I'll be very mean and abusive to them"? Good fn grief!

Just find a new Urologist and get yourself snipped

Old 01-23-2020, 03:49 PM

9,100 posts, read 6,321,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
They also say that a bachelor is a man who cheated some woman out of a divorce.
Just a little quibble here, you should have wrote: They also say that a bachelor is a man who cheated some women out of a windfall from divorce. The divorce itself is not the actual prize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness