Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 08:56 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times

Advertisements

My friend's grandson got flu A then flu B right afterwards. He's fine now.

Old 01-21-2020, 10:09 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I have a friend (a nurse) who currently has one child with type A and one kid with type B (both vaccinated). I also have a friend, in Austin, that has been hospitalized, haven't been able to talk with her so have no idea which type it is. I actually stayed out of the grocery stores last weekend, I don't want to get it. Darn people are not staying home (my brother in law for one, pretty sure he has it).
IMO avoiding crowds as much as possible during flu season goes a long way towards flu prevention. Especially when those who are sick won't stay home. Unfortunately sequestering oneself isn't always possible, but I sure try to avoid those crowds as much as I can.

Old 01-21-2020, 10:10 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Then I guess you got lucky, relatively speaking. I can recall getting the flu twice in my life, once as a kid and the second time in my early 20's, after heavy exposure to flu patients in a health care setting. Both times I was so sick I just wanted to die. And the second time it took me a couple months to feel like a human being again.
Maybe. But a lot of people who get the flu share my experience while others share yours. When I had the flu I took elderberry three times a day, vitamin d and c and also oil of oregano. There is evidence of at least the elderberry and vitamin d lessening the duration and severity of flu so maybe my experience was not just luck. Or if it was, maybe others with more severe cases are just unlucky. Who knows.

Old 01-21-2020, 12:07 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
The majority of people never get the flu. It isn't just a handful of people who are 'immune' every year, and considering every year it's a different strain? It has more to do with being healthy rather than having some random genetic makeup that 'prevents the flu.'

The human body is strong and resilient. And people can keep it that way by taking care of it and giving it what is needed to function properly. Illness happens when it is NOT functioning properly.
One’s odds of getting the flu in any given year are 5% to 20% so you’re right, most people don’t get the flu often and some never get it.

Old 01-21-2020, 01:19 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:

And I ask this because of the TITLE of this thread. It is not: Hey: this year there are 2 strains. [fact]

It's hey: You're gonna get sick 2x. [fear mongering]

Did you ever learn how to read the structure of sentences?

The title of the article clearly states that "you might" and "here's why"

The article explains that there are 2 promontory viruses this year, A and B, with a form of B that has not exhibited in 30 years. The gurus who picked vaccine strains did not count on this.

It went on to state that B hit early. That leaves a lot of time to possibly get A

Nowhere, did it state your imaginary headline!
Quote:

It's hey: You're gonna get sick 2x. [fear mongering]

The article clearly states: :
Quote:
Hey: this year there are 2 strains. [fact] [fear mongering]

IMHO, you are the one that is "mongering"

Old 01-21-2020, 02:24 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Mass delete of posts and replies to posts that discuss vaccines. There is a rule--NO VACCINE DISCUSSIONS. Take it to politics and other controversies or don't discuss it at all. It just causes arguments, you aren't going to convince anyone one way or the other, and it's too controversial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness