Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2020, 09:05 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Renegade View Post
Which would really suck; because, if I could still not get the MRI scan process done, I would then most likely need to try to sleep in my vehicle for 3-4 hours and wait for the medications to wear off, so that I could then drive the 75-80 miles home. And, as I mentioned before, if I need to work later that night, that would make the situation even more difficult. And while getting a hotel room near the MRI office/my work would be nice and helpful, I am just not in a position to do that right now (my rent is due within 6 days and I'm currently short on it - yes, some of sometimes live this way, sadly and unfortunately), so that's not a practical option.
I have a home near 104th and Shea. It has a detached casita I never use, with a pull-down Murphy bed. It is clean, dry and comfortable with a full bathroom and a kitchenette.

You are welcome to bunk there after your MRI. It will be completely private. I have put up friends there before. And this might save you an unnecessary 160-mile round trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2020, 09:21 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
It's mind over matter. I've been in industrial boilers the size of small houses, in the firebox looking at the barrel of a burner with 3 nozzles each capable of spewing 2 gallons of kerosene a minute and if lit incinerating me in seconds.
I've been in other situations and the way you do it is with will power and knowing what is going on. An MRI is just a tube with a huge magnets that spin around. You're inserted in that tube on a trolly. You're not going to die. Control yourself.
It's easy to say "control yourself", but sometimes really hard to do, especially if you're claustrophobic. When I had my first MRI prior to my brain surgery in 1987, it was like being inserted in a medieval torture device. I was wedged in with foam pads; had my arms strapped over my chest; and had a helmet slid entirely over my head before they slid me into the MRI tube - no ear plugs either. I did get through the entire scan but by the end I was getting extremely "antsy" and would have had to have been removed if it hadn't have ended. I've had so many follow-up MRIs now that I can fall asleep with no problem, but for a first-timer it can be really stressful, and "will power" and mind over matter" are easier said than done.

Old 01-30-2020, 09:57 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
It's easy to say "control yourself", but sometimes really hard to do, especially if you're claustrophobic. When I had my first MRI prior to my brain surgery in 1987, it was like being inserted in a medieval torture device. I was wedged in with foam pads; had my arms strapped over my chest; and had a helmet slid entirely over my head before they slid me into the MRI tube - no ear plugs either. I did get through the entire scan but by the end I was getting extremely "antsy" and would have had to have been removed if it hadn't have ended. I've had so many follow-up MRIs now that I can fall asleep with no problem, but for a first-timer it can be really stressful, and "will power" and mind over matter" are easier said than done.
Thankfully for the OP a brain MRI is different then lower spine. I think I'd have to be knocked out for a brain MRI

Old 01-30-2020, 10:22 AM

2,364 posts, read 4,873,251 times
I will ignore the nasty comments from some people who say you can just get through it. Even the thought of one panics me. I had one back in 1998 for gall bladder. They gave me 2 pills, one for the early morning and one for 30 min before. I did not relax nor did I sleep. In fact had they not let my husband be there holding my hands the entire time I wouldn't have made it. They put me in feet first and even with my eyes shut the darkness of the edge of the tube moving over my eyelids almost sent me running. This did, however, allow me to put my arms above my head so my hubby could hold my hands.

In Dec of 2014 they wanted to do one because they thought I had nerve problems after a hip replacement. I said no to the tube and tried the "open" MRI. Nope, that didn't work either. It is open on the sides but the roof is still in my face and that's what panics me. My daughter was sitting beside me so that I could "see" her, but didn't help. I ended up having an extended nerve test. Told the doc that the pain was doable if it cancelled out the MRI. If I ever have to do another MRI they will have to sedate me or it won't happen.

And yes if you can't lie still for the full time it won't work. I was told I couldn't move around or the scan wouldn't be readable. They might be able to put a wedge under your knees but that's up to the doc.

Old 01-30-2020, 10:24 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
I could do it when I was younger not now unbearable
Must take Valium

Old 01-30-2020, 11:30 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
I will ignore the nasty comments from some people who say you can just get through it. Even the thought of one panics me. I had one back in 1998 for gall bladder. They gave me 2 pills, one for the early morning and one for 30 min before. I did not relax nor did I sleep. In fact had they not let my husband be there holding my hands the entire time I wouldn't have made it. They put me in feet first and even with my eyes shut the darkness of the edge of the tube moving over my eyelids almost sent me running. This did, however, allow me to put my arms above my head so my hubby could hold my hands.

In Dec of 2014 they wanted to do one because they thought I had nerve problems after a hip replacement. I said no to the tube and tried the "open" MRI. Nope, that didn't work either. It is open on the sides but the roof is still in my face and that's what panics me. My daughter was sitting beside me so that I could "see" her, but didn't help. I ended up having an extended nerve test. Told the doc that the pain was doable if it cancelled out the MRI. If I ever have to do another MRI they will have to sedate me or it won't happen.

And yes if you can't lie still for the full time it won't work. I was told I couldn't move around or the scan wouldn't be readable. They might be able to put a wedge under your knees but that's up to the doc.
Why are we all becoming such wusses? It’s just lying down. It’s mild discomfort. It’s getting valuable information for your doctor. What is there to panic about? You’re just lying down on a pad and listening to some music. The machine is not an alligator that is going to eat you. It’s just a tube for 20-30 minutes. You’re in more physical danger at home in your bed where a vivid dream could send you crashing to the floor. The tube will save you!

I think one other problem as Americans is that we are all too damned fat! The tube wouldn’t be so bad if we weren’t clogging it up with big fat stomachs and butts.

Old 01-30-2020, 11:46 AM

7,118 posts, read 4,540,768 times
It’s a real issue for people with serious claustrophobia. They can’t just wish it away. A towel for your eyes helps too. Even if you are laying perfectly still if your heart is racing it won’t work. That happened to me.

Old 01-30-2020, 11:48 AM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Why are we all becoming such wusses? It’s just lying down. It’s mild discomfort. It’s getting valuable information for your doctor. What is there to panic about? You’re just lying down on a pad and listening to some music. The machine is not an alligator that is going to eat you. It’s just a tube for 20-30 minutes. You’re in more physical danger at home in your bed where a vivid dream could send you crashing to the floor. The tube will save you!

I think one other problem as Americans is that we are all too damned fat! The tube wouldn’t be so bad if we weren’t clogging it up with big fat stomachs and butts.
Well, this little gem wins the prize for least helpful, most insensitive and inapplicable post of the day. However, its still early so there's still time for another whopper.

Old 01-30-2020, 11:55 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
It’s a real issue for people with serious claustrophobia. They can’t just wish it away. A towel for your eyes helps too. Even if you are laying perfectly still if your heart is racing it won’t work. That happened to me.
I never used to have issues but have once I was close to 50. My biggest issue was being able to lay still that long then my body goes into spasm. Once that happens I need to get out. The tech is in the other room and can't just get you out.

I had a script for one a year ago and still have not done it.

Old 01-30-2020, 11:57 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post

I will say the brain MRI I had was the only bad experience of all the MRIs. I remember the foam pads and how loud it all was. My spouse was supposed to be there to help me get down from the table because I was dizzy and disoriented but he'd wandered off. There was supposed to be a radiologist there but I never saw him/her either. I had to shout, "Will someone please come help me?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness