Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 10:22 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,280,282 times

Advertisements

For the past two months, I’ve been getting fairly regular headaches and am far more tired than usual. While it’s not a given that this is due to menopause, it has coincided with the end of my periods.

What issues did everyone else have when they hit menopause?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2020, 10:27 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
I did get more frequent headaches in addition to some breast tenderness and very short-lived night sweats that thankfully only lasted a couple months. I ended up getting a very low dose FemRing to supply a bit of estrogen and that helped, along with Vitamin E for the breast tenderness (recommended by my gyn).

Old 03-06-2020, 11:21 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,533,060 times
I didn't have anything that caused any major problems and I never took anything long enough to prevent any symptoms. I had some hot flashes but not as often as I've heard some women complain about.

Old 03-06-2020, 11:49 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,062,873 times
I've been pretty lucky--no night sweats or hot flashes, just a flushed, tingly feeling on occasion. I've also had difficulty sleeping on occasion.

Old 03-06-2020, 12:12 PM

17,589 posts, read 13,367,588 times
A crabby wife. But we both survived

Old 03-06-2020, 12:18 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,980,594 times
I only had hot flashes, nothing else.

Old 03-06-2020, 12:53 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,280,282 times
I haven’t had a single hot flash - knock wood. I guess I’ll go get some bloodwork done to rule out other causes.

Between full-time work, three kids (well, four, but one is grown up), coaching track, and being an adult leader for both a Boy Scout Troop and a Venture Crew, I need the fatigue to go away already. Headaches are no fun, and they don’t always go away with ibuprofen, but it’s more manageable than the tiredness.

Old 03-06-2020, 01:58 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
For me, night sweats and hot flashes were my primary symptoms.

The hot flashes were the worst. Somedays, I'd get 10 to 15 a day, and they were exhausting.

Oh...and forgetfulness.

Old 03-06-2020, 03:46 PM

7,106 posts, read 4,828,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
A crabby wife. But we both survived
Lol you sound like my husband!

I had (and still have, after 10+ years) night sweats and not too many hot flashes, but some. I was always a hot sleeper, though, so I guess that’s why I still sweat at night.

The crabbiness? I always attributed it to just feeling that, at this point in my life I’m tired of putting up with bs, so I don’t intend to take it nicely any more.

I feel that I would get way more crabby due to pms than I ever felt during menopause. I’m just more likely nowadays to tell you to buzz off than when I was younger and sweeter.

Old 03-06-2020, 08:38 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,149,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I feel that I would get way more crabby due to pms than I ever felt during menopause. I’m just more likely nowadays to tell you to buzz off than when I was younger and sweeter.
Totally true for me! During PMS, I *knew* I was crabby, but knowing didn't make it go away. Now, if I'm irritated and let it show, there's a good reason for it and I'll speak up.

Back to the original question: Early on, I had some hot flashes for a few months (maybe 6?...I don't remember exactly). Then they stopped for a good while (several months, maybe a year) then came back much worse including at night with some night sweats. They seem to have tapered off some, especially the daytime flashes (whew!), but I wake up at least twice every night feeling so hot (not sweaty, though, in most cases) that I need to kick off all the covers even in a very cool room. What bugs me most about that is it interferes with my sleep and sometimes I don't feel as well rested.

Memory issues are another thing, mostly when I'm trying to multi-task and especially if I have something stressful on my mind. I used to be able to juggle all of that with ease. I have heard some of the memory issues get better -- looking forward to that! For now, I need to write things down more, set timers, but mainly try to focus on one main thing at a time. My 3 sisters and a dear friend of mine *all* say they have this.

Oh, and a slower metabolism (yay). I have officially reached the "moment on the lips, forever on the hips" era, on top of needing to take a thyroid pill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness