Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 12:39 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times

Advertisements

I already cancelled a "touchy, feely" appointment with a physical therapist who does not have soap and running water in her exam room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2020, 06:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I already cancelled a "touchy, feely" appointment with a physical therapist who does not have soap and running water in her exam room.
Now that is a good reason for cancelling. I would have as well.

Old 03-17-2020, 06:36 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,221,653 times
I called my PCP's office to inquire whether my appointment on Thursday was still a go. nobody answered the phone. I tried to leave a voicemail, but their box was full. It's a small clinic with about 5 staff. It's only 3 miles away so I guess I'll drive over there and see if the clinic is open.

Old 03-17-2020, 08:08 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
"Should I go to the dentist for a dental cleaning during the COVID-19 outbreak?

Yes, if you are a healthy individual showing no signs or symptoms of COVID-19, and it is time for you to have your scheduled six-month dental checkup and cleaning, we encourage you to stick to your appointment. Dental cleanings are an essential part of maintaining good oral health and preventing gum disease and cavities. The CDC reports that gum disease affects nearly half of adults in the U.S. And, there are severe health risks associated with poor oral health, including an increased risk of heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and even cognitive decline that leads to Alzheimer’s. While the outbreak of COVID-19 may have people panicking, the health threats associated with poor oral health are just as serious. Continue with your cleaning appointments to minimize your risk of developing gum disease."

https://functionalsmiles.com/blog/sh...irus-outbreak/
While all of that is perfectly true, it is also true that merely delaying or even skipping a single cleaning will not substantially increase your risk unless you have gum disease already. For something as routine as a cleaning, I'd have no qualms about delaying or canceling. Nor would I have trouble delaying non-required dental work like caps or crowns for teeth that weren't causing pain.

It's not always about your own risk but the risk you might be causing for others who are in the office for things that are really necessary.

Old 03-17-2020, 09:12 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
My brother needs a blood draw in a few weeks for a script as well...is there a way that can be done at his house rather than venturing out to a hospital or laboratory will all going on now!?
Person would have to qualify for Medicare's home bound rules plus have a condition that warrants home health nurses or PT to monitor (post surgery, exac. of chronic condition, etc.). Then, a doctor's order to draw blood. I'd call the clinic/hospital and ask them when they're not as busy. That might help.

Old 03-17-2020, 11:11 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,433,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPatty View Post
Hi all:
I'm wondering if people are canceling their routine doctor's appointments and tests to avoid possible exposure to the virus, until things calm down a bit.
I have scheduled appointments for knee cortisone shots, a mammogram, an eye exam and the dentist.
I'm in my mid 60's with a few health issues that many have--hypertension and AFib but would prefer not being in medical settings or in medical office buildings that are attached to hospitals right now.
I think waiting, unless its an emergency is prudent.
Anyone else postponing routine appointments for a while?
Thanks for weighing in!
Patty
Doctors offices are being especially careful. If you have any illness they won't see you. If you need your cortisone shot then by all means go. If the dentist is to have any work done, go. If just a cleaning you can delay. Same goes for mammogram and eye exam, delaying won't affect your health. I was supposed to have a doctor's appointment this week for my annual. They originally called and said to get their 15 minutes prior because the hospital was screening people before allowing them in. Later that day they called again to cancel because the doctor wasn't going to be available; however, I was going to cancel anyway because I have something. Don't believe it is coronavirus, probably a combination of a cold and the issues I have been having with GERD or whatever it is that I have been having over the past 4 years.

Old 03-17-2020, 11:22 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,407,070 times
My husband travelled about an hour to see his otoneurologist this morning. He was screened and based on his travel history (just got back from Mexico) and symptoms (cough), they gave him a Covid-19 test —- then refused to see him until he got the results back. He was pissed because he spent 2.5 hours for nothing. But what can I say? If he had used a little common sense, he wouldn’t have gone ... or would have at least called the office first ... or checked their website. Fortunately, at least the traffic wasn’t bad at all ...

He described the scene: Apparently, his otoneurologist came into the exam room with a full hazmat suit on, then did the swabbing. Yes, they are taking this very seriously.

Old 03-17-2020, 11:26 AM

130,332 posts, read 12,112,869 times
I have medical laser surgery next week, for glaucoma, I plan on going. Their office is very clean, & no hospital in that town. Of course things may change by then, we will see.

Old 03-17-2020, 12:22 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
It depends on what info you actually get during a routine visit. If you are feeling OK I'd cancel. You can monitor your own blood pressure and heart rate and oxygen and temperature at home. That is basically what you get with a routine doctor's visit.

Old 03-17-2020, 12:42 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
My husband travelled about an hour to see his otoneurologist this morning. He was screened and based on his travel history (just got back from Mexico) and symptoms (cough), they gave him a Covid-19 test —- then refused to see him until he got the results back. He was pissed because he spent 2.5 hours for nothing. But what can I say? If he had used a little common sense, he wouldn’t have gone ... or would have at least called the office first ... or checked their website. Fortunately, at least the traffic wasn’t bad at all ...

He described the scene: Apparently, his otoneurologist came into the exam room with a full hazmat suit on, then did the swabbing. Yes, they are taking this very seriously.
I have to agree with you: his judgement wasn't the best. As my sister used to say: "use your head for more than a hat rack" and most of us have to do that periodically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness