Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 04:40 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times

Advertisements

I hope this speculation isn't politically incorrect (I guess I'll find out soon enough of it is considered so or not), but in addition to having more risk factors/co-morbidities, I'm curious if certain demographic groups are following the CDC guidelines, primarily in terms of social distancing which -- after all -- is the single most important one. I know just among Hispanic and African-American people I know personally, getting together with family and friends and church members and sharing meals, etc., is seemingly more a part of their culture than among other populations (again, that I personally know; not to generalize, but that's my impression). Is there any information on this possible explanation? Of course non-compliance would have to be self-reported... I personally think that's as/more likely an explanation as "discrimination in health care."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2020, 05:56 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,190,016 times
I can say anecdotally that I saw several houses on my street that were clearly entertaining family and/or friends over Easter weekend and all are Caucasian, or, in the case of one family, South Asian.

Old 04-14-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I can say anecdotally that I saw several houses on my street that were clearly entertaining family and/or friends over Easter weekend and all are Caucasian, or, in the case of one family, South Asian.
That IS anectodal, but culturally many demographics have closer family ties than the average Caucasian Americans. Don't they also tend to live multi-generationally in one household more often? Possibly another contributing factor since it's believed the asymptomatic young may infect the more vulnerable elderly.

Old 04-14-2020, 06:12 PM

6,956 posts, read 6,880,495 times
Of course, there ARE cultural differences which mean the virus will spread more easily if families are in the habit of being together more often. Large groups of any sort - or even small groups will pose an increased risk of infection.

However, you would think the outbreak would be worse in those countries who do a lot of this kind of cultural thing, but thats not what we see. OK, things in China and asian countries were bad and the people there are living very close together and in tight family groups so you would have thought would have spread very quickly between family members and throughout the society.

USA has a much larger infected rate because they have not followed the distancing procedures so well perhaps as some asian countries.

Old 04-14-2020, 06:35 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,190,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
That IS anectodal, but culturally many demographics have closer family ties than the average Caucasian Americans. Don't they also tend to live multi-generationally in one household more often? Possibly another contributing factor since it's believed the asymptomatic young may infect the more vulnerable elderly.
Yes, I believe that is correct and I've also heard this mentioned as a possible contributing factor. Having said that, living with multi generations is very common in both the East and South Asian community as well. Are those groups being disproportionally affected? I don't know that they are on a nation level, although I will say that in the Houston area, the epicenter of Covid cases, especially at the beginning, was in Ft. Bend County, which is one of the most diverse counties in the nation, with a large number of first generation Americans.

Old 04-15-2020, 07:28 AM

Don't a lot of Asian Americans arrive as college students, alone, whereas Hispanics tend to bring their entire extended families with them (and also have many more children close together), speaking from my own experience with that demographic?

My point being that lifestyle and culture should be examined as contributing factors before jumping to the conclusion that it's because someone is being "victimized"...

Old 04-15-2020, 07:43 AM

40 posts, read 44,291 times
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32252338

There’s a possibility that vitamin D deficiency has something to do with Covid.

Old 04-15-2020, 07:56 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,878,840 times
Default I don't think there's more COVID among minorities

https://www.kmov.com/news/missouri-i...aLarzRw8Pn9xcc

Every race/ethnicity, continent, age, and social class (rich and poor) has gotten COVID and died. In the US, mentioned, I think people who have poorer health (which tend to be in urban and rural areas) are more at risk. In urban areas, unlike rural areas, the density of people will make the risk of spread greater, and those who have poorer health will have worse outcomes. The more urban areas are going to have a higher percentage of minorities.

Although the data show that minorities are any different than other groups at catching this or dying. It's a scary thought for many, because you can be a healthy, non-minority (I fall into this category), and still end up getting it and dying. The way people react to this virus differently is just unknown. Everyone is at risk, minority or not.

Old 04-15-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
https://www.kmov.com/news/missouri-i...aLarzRw8Pn9xcc

Every race/ethnicity, continent, age, and social class (rich and poor) has gotten COVID and died. In the US, mentioned, I think people who have poorer health (which tend to be in urban and rural areas) are more at risk. In urban areas, unlike rural areas, the density of people will make the risk of spread greater, and those who have poorer health will have worse outcomes. The more urban areas are going to have a higher percentage of minorities.

Although the data show that minorities are any different than other groups at catching this or dying. It's a scary thought for many, because you can be a healthy, non-minority (I fall into this category), and still end up getting it and dying. The way people react to this virus differently is just unknown. Everyone is at risk, minority or not.
I realize that anyone can get it and everyone is at risk, but IDENTITY POLITICS is taking this ball and running with it; I'm simply suggesting that other factors (such as one's own behavior) be considered, as well. We enjoyed a brief reprieve from IDENTITY POLITICS at the height of coronavirus hysteria, but - predictably - it didn't last long...

Last edited by otterhere; 04-15-2020 at 08:07 AM..

Old 04-15-2020, 08:17 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,332,370 times
In general, poorer people are more likely to live in crowded conditions, to have to rely on other people for assistance, to have less access to cleaning supplies, masks, gloves, etc., to have more pre-existing conditions that would predispose to complications, to use public transport, and to have jobs that require them to remain on the job and in close contact with others (nursing home attendants and bus drivers can't work from home).

In the US minorities tend to be poorer than the population as a whole.

Pretty simple, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness